PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Options

Comments

• PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thunder! It looks like I might be on the edge of the storm cloud though (for now) as I can see black clouds to the East, but I can also see sunshine on my neighbour's wall.

I had chips/fish fingers and beans in the end of tea .... CBA to be more adventurous.
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,092 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good evening everyone,
    The pansies arrived but "Operation Pansy Potting" wasn't undertaken as someone wandered off with my oomph and left a wonky donkey in it's place:(. A "must do" for tomorrow which I can do inside if it's raining.
    It got very thundery feeling here mid afternoon but didn't come to anything though the weather is definitely on the change again which probably explains the wobbles.
    Shame the kippers were disappointing Farway but a good excuse to indulge in a Xmas pudding:). I have to confess :( mine are still in the freezer must hoick them out and make some pate with them soon.

Pasta & HM pesto for tonight is also on hold and it will be a bung it in the oven job instead.
    No veg picked today but I have loads of tomatoes nearly ripe, passatta making may well feature in the next week or so:)
  • Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,132 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hopefully the thunder will go Caronc and the donkey returns to its stable :)

The first year I moved here I brought plug pansies, when I put the pots on the front patio I came home from work the next day to find 80% of them pulled out of the pots and tossed on the ground turned out a squirrel had buried acorns and hob nuts in the pots :cool: even netted I lost about 50% of them :o I did consider laying in wait with a gun :rotfl:

It rained until mid afternoon today, my lawn looks greener from the window but I fear it's just the weeds :( It's looks like it may rain again tonight, but no thunder so far.

Lunch was the last of the smoked mackerel salad and dinner was a vegetable and noodle stir fry, a good clear out of the veg drawer it made loads :cool:so lunch tomorrow, I know it's really not the same reheated the next day but it will do for lunch tomorrow as I cba to sort anything else
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
  • caronc
    Options
    Thanks Brambling - "wonky donkey" as far as I'm concerned needs a good prod as I'm fed up of it now......
    No maurading squirrels here but the pansies will be popped in 2inch pots to grow on and hopefully be sturdy enough to repell invaders by the time they are planted out. One of my pooches used to be very guilty of poking/digging in pots lloking for critters which used to drive me mad. Between that and her brother munching most things it was a constant battle:mad:.
    When I was working I used to sometimes turn LO stir fry into noodle soup by adding some chicken or veg stock. Made it taste like a different dish IFYSWIM.

Dinner ended up being a nuked assortment of root veg & IKEA meatballs with runners and a splodge of instant gravy. Looked rubbish but tasted just fine:)
  • Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,132 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    caronc wrote: »
    When I was working I used to sometimes turn LO stir fry into noodle soup by adding some chicken or veg stock. Made it taste like a different dish IFYSWIM.

Dinner ended up being a nuked assortment of root veg & IKEA meatballs with runners and a splodge of instant gravy. Looked rubbish but tasted just fine:)

Thanks Caronc I haven't thought of turning it to soup :) I like a variety of veg in my stir fries but it can just make it grow :D a healthy dinner as all fried in just a tsp of oil:D

The advantage of CFO is it doesn't have to look pretty as long as it tastes good :rotfl:
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
  • caronc
    Options
    Good morning everyone,

I had a bit of a lie in and feel a lot less wonky than I did yesterday:). I've some housework I want to get done this morning and then it is full steam ahead with "operation pansy potting";).
    I'm not CFO tonight as my younger son is coming up for the weekend. I'm going to have a bash at making the River Cottage "courgette, rice & filo" pie that Brambling suggested a few days ago (thanks Brambling:)) for dinner tonight.
    Salad Nicoise for lunch.
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    What a morning.... 7.30am text to say my click/collect item'd arrived, so I collected that, deliberately timing it nicely so I could pop into 4ldi on my return (opens at 8am). Got rolls/cheese there.

I then thought I'd pop into L1dl perchance they had my favourite fizzy pop - shelves still completely bare on that point. So what's one to do??? Grabbed a 2 litre bottle of fizzy water (17p) to go with squash drink I have at home - then it was off to the sausage rolls aisle, grabbing a pack of those - and a quick run past the reduced box, which had 4 sandwiches in priced at 20p each. Didn't want to be greedy and grab the lot, so just bought one cheese/onion sandwich, which then became breakfast :)

About an hour ago the heavens opened and it's just tipped it down. It's like mid winter, with rain, windy ..... nasty out there.

I'd got a list of things to pop out and buy that are "small items for house titfering" ... I doubt I'll be making that 40 mile round trip in this weather. They're non essentials.

A day in for me - just googling for items/prices so I can do a big Round Robin tomorrow or Sunday to get everything in that I want/need (unless it rains; nothing's urgent).

I have sausage rolls .... nobody needs more do they :)
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,234 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    'Morning all

An awful night, not sure what but something upset my tum, maybe it was the corned beef hash? Can't think why, none of it was old LO stuff, maybe too rich for me in one hit? No idea but glad the night is over

Woke to downpour, and phoned in to say I'm skipping the volunteer bit today, just in case my tum is catching don't want to spread it about

No breakfast, oiked the CB hash from fridge, next stop is bin just in case. I'm feeling a bit improved & peckish now, maybe PB baguette for lunch, not sure, see how I feel

Your rain has just arrived here PN, looking like Autumn already. I've put a fleece on
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • PasturesNew
    edited 10 August 2018 at 1:25PM
    Options
    It rained for 3 hours - just very very very blustery now.

Well, no more Twix biscuits.... scoffed the whole packet, 325 grams... that's 1641 calories :)

I ate most yesterday, today there was just one Twix finger left.

Today I've so far managed:
    1 cheese/onion sandwich
    2 hot sausage rolls
    1 Twix finger.

There's a bit of onion in that sandwich that counts towards 5-a-day :)
  • caronc
    Options
    Good afternoon everyone,

Hope your tummy settles Farway <<hugs>>
    That's a lot of twixs PN, you must have a very robust system I'd be completely wired with all that sugar.:eek: I'm one of these folks whose system very quickly grinds to a halt if I don't get lots of veg/fibre, any more than a day or so without enough and it's pretty much a case of getting dynarod out....;):rotfl:

Apart from mopping the floors which I'll do before I head for my afternoon snooze the housework I wanted to get done is finished.:) Lunch was very much a case of assembling which I'm glad about as I'm ready for a sit down now!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback