PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    ok, kings meal is eaten and was nice. Being breakfast I certainly don`t feel like anything else, ie sweet, which is good

I have 3 turkey wings defrosted and the ham, I will cook both separately with herbs in the pressure cooker. Then keep some ham slices vac packed in the freezer, to enjoy for meals. I have sliced onion, soaking in a little vinegar to lighten the flavour a little. Then I will make the sauce base, onion/celery/carrot/garlic stock and a tin of tomatoes. Part cook the pasta, mix the meats and assemble into meals for freezing

Good so far, all food going to plan. I was hungry after the turkey and jerseys last meal yesterday but managed to ignore my stomach. I never felt hungry after the bowl of hm granola/rhubarb/yoghurt. I just need to educate my stomach, after all we are creatures of habit
  • pineapple
    pineapple Posts: 6,931 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    caronc wrote: »

Same here, it drives me nuts.I'm not sure which annoys me most, those that leave it or those that bag it and then hang the bag from something:mad::mad:.
    I think mostly they probably have good intentions. When my dog does something on the outward journey, I always have a bit of a conflict. Do I carry it all the way round with me like a right lemon or do I leave it somewhere and risk forgetting about it on the way back. :rotfl:
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,096 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    pineapple wrote: »
    I think mostly they probably have good intentions. When my dog does something on the outward journey, I always have a bit of a conflict. Do I carry it all the way round with me like a right lemon or do I leave it somewhere and risk forgetting about it on the way back. :rotfl:
    Tbh - I don't think they do.... There are too many abandoned to explain folk forgetting to retrieve them!

Good morning everyone,

Another lovely sunny morning here though cooler than it looks outside.
    More gardening for me today plus no doubt a lot of sitting in the sunshine with my book:D.
    I'm going to defrost a pork steak for tonight and have it stir fried with veg and either noodles or rice.
    Lunch will be a cheese or pate salad.
  • [Deleted User]
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 14 May 2018 at 10:54AM
    Options
    I agree with caronc, bags are deliberately abandoned and where they can be seen. How anti-social these dog walkers are. I once challenged a woman, professional dog walker, drove up in her car, took 3 dogs out over the field by the allotments, went back to her car without bags. She said they had all gone before their walk!! yes right. Needless to say she has never been on that walk again, I can be pretty well hidden on my allotment and most people do not carry a poo bag back, yet they all go out for that specific purpose. My husband used to carry 3 bags back, he was the only one

Anyway back on to a better topic ie food and I am in throes of making 6 ready meals. Meats are cooked and divided, to also include 3 portions of cooked ham in vac bags and now in freezer. I am waiting for the carrots in my sauce to soften, it looks lovely, creamy with distinctive slices of veg. I have 6 portions of pasta out to cook for just 5 minutes. and I will be finished just in time to get my princely meal of fish and salad ready. Then booger all, except to continue my third reading of the pillars of the earth, love that book and I have the following two books to read, what pleasure to come and yes I will sit out again, like yesterday. The most beautiful of days, not too hot or cool
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Breakfast ended up being a bread roll I'd frozen, which I toasted and topped with sausages and beans, with brown sauce and a black coffee.

Nice and sunny here, but it can be a little offputtingly breezy so you think of something you could do outside, then step out there .... and you get a bit of a breeze and think "Nah".

I've mislaid my postbox key ... since about Friday. I always keep it in the same place and it's not there, which is always annoying... so I hope to stumble across it today when I sort a few things out/tidy up a bit. The key's easy to spot as it's attached to a fat length of bright green material, I'm just annoyed that for some reason I didn't put it immediately back where it belonged!
  • [Deleted User]
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    it will be where you went to after you brought post in last time, either that or you had a coat on and it is in your pocket or if you went out, in your car

My ready meals are ready and look wonderful, a full meal in a silver foil dish with a lid and now chilling before freezing

Fish and salad eaten plus very dark chocolate afterwards, I may have an ice cream later, while sitting out. It has taken all morning but no preps for 6 future meals, was worth it

I feel like cycling again tbh, maybe later in the day but will wear my new pedal pushers with padded nether regions. My backside was not comfortable yesterday, got to 6 miles and was wishing I had nether pads. Maybe I will just cycle up to the allotment instead and do some physical work, like push mowing and edge cutting. I am feeling energetic
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,248 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Up to find the washing machine working nicely, I mention it because I set the timer, which I've never needed to use, always a bit of a shock when some technology actually does what is expected of it

Breakfast of usual porridge / banana / HM yoghurt, then pegged washing out, lovely sunny, warm, with a nice drying breeze

Into town, spotted a YS free range chicken in Asda, hooray, I've been fancying chicken for a while, quick meal plan change from fish for tonight

Another impulse buy, Wilko had a Muscat grape outside, popped that in my trolley. It is unnamed variety, but a green one. I'll pot it on & decide later on training regime.
    PN, when I grew grapes I really had buckets full, but they were not the big lush ones, more wine ones. Mine were trained on the side of the house, PIA to prune & pick them. I made not very good wine with them. Where I live must suit grapes, there is a vineyard not far from me

Lunch was cheese & salad sarnie again

I've roasted the YS chicken, I'll have some with a salad tonight, keep some for cold tomorrow, and freeze some for a CBA day

Used my LO boiled spuds as base of a spud salad, quite looking forward to dinner now. Good day for a salad
    I've mislaid my postbox key ... since about Friday. I always keep it in the same place and it's not there, which is always annoying... so I hope to stumble across it today when I sort a few things out/tidy up a bit. The key's easy to spot as it's attached to a fat length of bright green material, I'm just annoyed that for some reason I didn't put it immediately back where it belonged!

It'll appear from nowhere. When my car key fell apart recently I was sure I had a spare somewhere, hanging in my key safe, where all my keys are. Nope couldn't find it.
    Found it yesterday, in my key safe, with it's huge orange tag:o
    I already go to Specsavers, I've just had a reminder for a test, better get there quick
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • wort
    wort Posts: 1,676 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Gorgeous sunny day, washed my to feather and down winter coats 1 short 1 long. Plus a load of mine and dgsons clothes. All dry and put away.
    I've seen the Dr and he's referring me for physio for my back.
    Had a ham salad sandwich and yogurt with seeds at lunch, and just had tinned salmon with a salad, of rocket and spinach leaves with onion, tomatoes, sun blush tomato, peppers and olives plus baby potatoes.
    A breeze has picked up so I'm having a cuppa in the conservatory, the cat has just spotted me and is racing across the garden, so I'll be having a cuddle now. Nice way to end the day.
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
  • Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,138 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Well - if your fruit and nut bread works out okay eventually Brambling it would be good to have the recipe please.:)

It worked the first time I made it and was so easy, this was either a brain f*rt moment Saturday night as I was tired and didn't think the dough look right not wet enough or it could be yeast as i don't remember when I opened it. It tastes ok just a little heavy this time and incorrect texture :cool: not bad enough to throw away. Last time I used the scales rather than cups not sure if that made a difference.

It has no sugar and only 1 tbsp of honey, but the dried cranberries obviously contain sugar

https://sallysbakingaddiction.com/2017/11/08/no-knead-cranberry-nut-bread/
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
  • pineapple
    pineapple Posts: 6,931 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 14 May 2018 at 7:19PM
    Options
    Tonight I am having risotto rice with fried bits of pork tenderloin, chestnut mushrooms and chopped up wild garlic. With some chilli and 5 spice flavouring.
    I'm also currently imbibing a tasty little Chardonnay by Lindeman's - on offer at the Co-op.
    I love my food and will never be thin.....
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback