PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    There will be quite a few people having to pay for extra expenses just now, plumbers for burst pipes, car prangs etc. Some will be very sorry they ventured out when they did. Onwards and upwards and looking forward to spring

I still have eggy bread in mind, bit later, I just had a big mug of tea and one small toast. The amount of food I have in, I`ll only have to keep topping up with fruit and veg and not that often either. The sooner I run out of nibbles the better, I am very strong willed after my last meal, no inclination to nibble in the evening because of the potential for night time heartburn but afternoon is my worst time. I am not stomach hungry then but do get this mouth hunger, which takes me to nibbles. Roll on cycling and allotment weather, much more satisfying
  • Need2bthrifty
    Need2bthrifty Posts: 1,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Morning All,

Isn’t nature grand, what a transformation overnight. When I went to bed there was still a substantial layer of snow but this morning just a very thin transparent layer on my drive which should be gone by the time I get showered and ready to go out.

After my friend and Faraway’s car battery problem I’m thinking if I get it started I’ll give the car a good run on the dual carriageway before I go for my shopping and I’ll forget all about my walking as Met Office say it’s a 90-95% chance of rain all day.

I’m not feeling too hungry at the moment, so I’ll go and get my ablutions done.
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good morning everyone,
    The snow and ice has mainly gone overnight and it mild compared to the past few days. I don't think it dipped below freezing during the night.
    I'm waiting for the Drs/pharmacy to open as I appear to have developed cellulitis on my face which is very painful! It's near where I had the shingles and heading towards my eye so need to get it checked.
  • wort
    wort Posts: 1,676 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Saturday- prawn thin,crisp, lunch and hm spicy chicken pizza.2 lumps of aldi fruit and nut chocolate.

Sunday - lo leek and potato soup for lunch . and fresh pineapple after. Roast beef from freezer already cooked, put in sc, had it with, roast potatoes carrot, broccoli and mange tout, Yorkshire pud and gravy.

Dgson and I made pineapple upside down cake with fresh pineapple! Why have I never made this before it was delish! !
    We had a piece warm as soon as it was cooked, then a bigger bit after tea, I had mine with extra thick cream.
    I've got some washing in ,though it's not looking good outside, dry at the moment but rather grey:o
    I'm taking my nephews little one to school today as they've gone to London for a funeral.
    Dgson is at school in opposite direction and a bit later, so he'll take himself.
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
  • Need2bthrifty
    Need2bthrifty Posts: 1,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Oh dear Caronc that’s a shame, hope you manage to get an appointment.

I settled for some fruit instead of the craved toast for breakfast, I made some extra bulgur wheat yesterday, threw in some shelled broad beans, spring onion and a dressing I’ll have that with some cold meat, lettuce, radish, cucumber, jalapenos….in fact anything in the fridge I fancy.

Defrosting a smoked haddock for tea and will make a gratin with some spinach, cream fraiche, cheese and tomato, I’ll also roast some cauliflower to go with it.

My drive’s clear, rain’s chucking it down, shopping list to hand, fingers crossed the car starts :D
  • wort
    wort Posts: 1,676 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Caronc that sounds nasty, hope you get it seen to. Take care x
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
  • pineapple
    pineapple Posts: 6,931 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 5 March 2018 at 1:11PM
    Options
    There is still snow and ice on the remoter lanes and some fields but the road is clear albeit narrowed. I tucked in behind the school bus this morning on the way to the launderette in town - as anything coming the other way was likely to give way to us both. :j When I got there I realised my purse was still at home!I could have wept at the thought of doing that journey again but fortunately the owner was around. I'm enough of a regular that he subbed me £20 and even donated the washing powder. Except he put put a load more in than I would use and I had to scoop half of it out. Even then one machine was still a bit sudsy on the last rinse so I put it through a second quick wash with no powder. :eek: It could probably have done with yet another rinse but I would still be there..... If he uses that much detergent on his own wash, his sheets and clothes must be really 'icky'.
    Apart from the remaining snow, it is like a proper spring day today - unbelievable. For lunch I'm having a mixed bean (Suma organic) salad. It's chicken curry with coconut tonight if only to tantalise next door with sublime smells.. :rotfl:
    Good luck getting sorted Caronc!
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good afternoon everyone,
    Glad you made it out pineapple and broke the cabin fever.:)
    I couldn't manage to get through to the Drs but did manage to see the local pharmacist, the good news if it is neither cellulitis or impetigo:), the less good news is that is either a severe herpes attack or another bout of shingles. Either way I then had to trundle round to the drs and arrange an anti-viral prescription as the pharmacist reckons it needs something stronger than they can offer. Hopefully I can pick that up tomorrow. I decided since I had to go into town to visit Boots, I'd also pop to the library and do another couple of errands consequently I'm bushed now so I'm for some lunch and then feet up for a bit.

I had planned to make the Indian strir fry I spotted in the Guardian at the weekend for dinner but I have unthinkingly:o defrosted curried lentil & tomato soup for lunch and I don't think I fancy curry/spicy for two meals in a row so make that tomorrow instead of taking lasagne out of the freezer. The LO pork belly is going into a sandwich with some coleslaw to have with the soup for lunch and I'll decide later what to have tonight.:)
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 5 March 2018 at 2:02PM
    Options
    Fingers crossed caron that that problem soon resolves. You've got enough on your plate with your balance problems...so hopefully that won't be needing attention/causing problems for long.

I managed to resume "life as normal" this morning and off to my morning fitness session. Still waiting for my "delivery that will probably come from one of those huge/high-sided lorries". Shoulda been here for a couple of days by now really - and I was on the phone to the firm about it this morning. It's coming from the north of England. Hopefully tomorrow....
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,232 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 5 March 2018 at 3:59PM
    Options
    Yay, back on the road again. Luckily I had paid extra for home rescue, one of those things worth the bit extra just for such an event. It was the battery, not flat but a bit low. Seems modern clever cars decide that you will not drive today and no amount of swearing will fix it. Needed a good shot of Amps from the rescue bloke.

Then, like N2BT, I've blatted up the dual carriageway. Fingers crossed for tomorrow. Seems if I disconnect battery to charge it the on board clever stuff will turn it's electrical toes up and be worse than having a lot PIN or password. This is the future folks

Breakfast was just pot of tea & HM yoghurt + honey, bit rushed as I wanted to phone rescue peeps

Before the rescue bloke I cadged a lift into town, for fresh air and some odds & ends, plus Haford's to check new battery availability. Loads of them, close to £100 though, gulp, I remember when they were about £30

Because M & S is opposite H's I popped in for mooch & coffee. Picked 3 ready meals on one of the 3 for a tenner options, one of which was chicken dinner in a jumbo Yorkie pud. Looking forward to that

Lunch was one of my YS mini pizzas, added a wrinkly tom to it

Dinner was going to be LO Xmas turkey, with all the trimmings. But now I have it out and defrosted I CBA to do the rest. Could finish up a turkey sarnie

PS, now started to rain but my excursions have finished for the day, including emptying the tea pot on the garden
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback