🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Selling Fund 'Mid Year'. Do I lose Dividends?

Options
I'm assuming that if I sell a fund a month or so before its dividend date I will not receive any dividend (not even pro-rata).

Is this correct?

Should I therefore take into account the dividend date of a fund before selling it?

And ditto when buying funds?

Comments

• TheTracker
    TheTracker Posts: 1,223 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    _pete_ wrote: »
    I'm assuming that if I sell a fund a month or so before its dividend date I will not receive any dividend (not even pro-rata).

Is this correct?

Should I therefore take into account the dividend date of a fund before selling it?

And ditto when buying funds?

In theory, the current price of the fund incorporates this circumstance.
  • ColdIron
    ColdIron Posts: 9,174 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    If you don't own the fund/share on the ex-dividend date you don't get the dividend, however the price will reflect the dividends/cash accrued to date so you should benefit from the increased value on sale (a sort of pro-rata). It's a similar situation when you buy but reversed. It may suit you from a tax point of view to receive dividends rather than a capital gain but only to a small degree
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport