3 Month Old Laptop Broken

Options
jazabelle
jazabelle Posts: 1,707 Forumite
edited 12 January 2018 at 12:49AM in Consumer rights
Three months ago I purchased a laptop from Argos.

A few days ago I had the laptop on a desk, and went to tilt the screen towards me slightly. This was in a normal gentle manner. There was a huge crack, and it cracked across the area the power cable goes in and along the seam there to where it connects to the screen. It stopped the lid from being able to close and was obviously left very vulnerable to the whole screen coming off, plus as it was worrying being so close to the power cable.

I contacted Argos to inform them of this, and to ask how I got it fixed under warranty. They then informed me it would likely be not covered as they would class it as damaged.

I was using the laptop as it was intended - I wasn't swinging it around by the screen or doing anything incorrectly. I pointed out that surely they must agree a laptop should last longer than three months, and there was clearly a fault on the connection point of the screen to the base. His response was that 'plastic could not be faulty.'

At the moment they have taken it in to review it and to decide if it's covered or not.

I just wanted to ask what I could do if they say it isn't please?

I've taken a video to show what it looked like after the crack. The yellow is the original tape that came with it which I quite liked so didn't remove!

http://sendvid.com/1395zjij
"There is no medicine like hope, no incentive so great, and no tonic so powerful as expectation of something better tomorrow." - Orison Swett Marden

Comments

• theonlywayisup
    Options
    If you are claiming under warranty, you need to adhere to the T&C of the warranty.

Your consumer rights are separate to any warranty and may have better leverage.

Either way, the fact you are disabled and housebound has no bearing on the outcome, why include it?
  • jazabelle
    Options
    I was explaining to people on this forum that my laptop means a lot to me and why, that's all.
    "There is no medicine like hope, no incentive so great, and no tonic so powerful as expectation of something better tomorrow." - Orison Swett Marden
  • theonlywayisup
    Options
    jazabelle wrote: »
    I was explaining to people on this forum that my laptop means a lot to me and why, that's all.

It isn't relevant, to anyone. It seems you want it to have some leverage...
    I just wanted to ask what I could do if they say it isn't. I saved up a long time to get this laptop and I'm disabled and housebound so it is literally my world a lot of the time, and it didn't even cross my mind they'd even quibble it as a laptop shouldn't crack after three months!

As I said, your warranty depends entirely on the warranty T&C.
  • Hermione_Granger
    Options
    Either way, the fact you are disabled and housebound has no bearing on the outcome, why include it?
    It may well have a bearing on the outcome. In fact, it's my opinion that it should have a bearing.

The Consumer rights act states that any repair or replacement must be carried out within a reasonable time and without significant inconvenience to the consumer.
    The fact that the OP is housebound and may possibly rely on their computer far more than someone who is able bodied and who can get out and about with no problem could mean that if the repair/replacement drags on for too long, this could impact their daily life far more than it might do if the computer was mine or yours.
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 12 January 2018 at 12:09AM
    Options
    It may well have a bearing on the outcome. In fact, it's my opinion that it should have a bearing.

The Consumer rights act states that any repair or replacement must be carried out within a reasonable time and without significant inconvenience to the consumer.
    The fact that the OP is housebound and may possibly rely on their computer far more than someone who is able bodied and who can get out and about with no problem could mean that if the repair/replacement drags on for too long, this could impact their daily life far more than it might do if the computer was mine or yours.

Did you not read the op? No, you didn't. :D

The op is claiming under warranty.

Quite where you read these stories is beyond me. The op only had a problem "a few days ago". Where does your "drags on for too long" come in?

Read. Think, then post.
  • Hermione_Granger
    Options
    Did you not read the op? No, you didn't. :D

The op is claiming under warranty.

Quite where you read these stories is beyond me. The op only had a problem "a few days ago". Where does your "drags on for too long" come in?

Read. Think, then post.

I think that you should also "Read, think then post"
    If you read my post a bit better, you will see I stated that if the repair drags on too long" and by pointing out their personal circumstances to Argos, they may be able to ensure that this doesn't happen.
  • bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I think that you should also "Read, think then post"
    If you read my post a bit better, you will see I stated that if the repair drags on too long" and by pointing out their personal circumstances to Argos, they may be able to ensure that this doesn't happen.
    The OP is going for sympathy, its has no bearing on the facts. The facts are the laptop has physical damage, it's not covered under warranty or consumer rights. If being disabled can prove it's not physical damage then good luck to the op to prove it.
  • jazabelle
    Options
    I was not 'going for sympathy' I was purely expressing my frustration I was now without a laptop when it means a lot to me, and I'm pretty stuck without it for lots of different reasons. It was really just a throwaway line explaining that, I don't know why you've had to be so nasty about it in response.

Surely items should be fit for purpose and using it in a normal manner shouldn't cause it to break? If you bought a new car and on opening the door to get in the door broke off, then surely there must be an issue with it when it's a brand new car? I wasn't doing anything with the laptop I shouldn't.
  • frankennsteiny
    Options
    Have a look at this mse post here explaining your rights when buying it may help you.
    ***.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/consumer-rights-refunds-exchange

Sorry can't post the full link being new but change the *** to www

Also I find complaining to companies through twitter can help lots as most companies hate negative posts.
  • jazabelle
    Options
    Thank you, I will read that and give that a go.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure