IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Brtania Parking Portswood Southampton POPLA process

Options
Hello MSE forum!

So I have been through the processes to appeal a PCN from Britania parking, I used the Newbie thread advice, and subsequent POPLA advice to submit my appeal. I have had comments now added by Britania to the POPLA appeal. They believe me to be the driver (I have never said I was) they have sent through all the documentation they have sent me including the original PCN letter, the follow up to my original appeal and photographs of their signage.

My question is, what should be my next move? I am certain I shouldn't be paying this but right now I have my wife breathing down my neck to get this paid before it gets expensive. It is January ya know.

I can't post the photo of the signage they sent :(

Comments

• nosferatu1001
    nosferatu1001 Posts: 12,961 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    It won’t get any more expensive

If they’ve asserted you are the driver, yet no admission has been made, then you need to add a comment to that effect. Portal says how.
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,919 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 10 January 2018 at 7:35PM
    Options
    So PoPLA have invited you to respond the the PPC's evidence?

You must do this. You have seven days to do this.
    If you don't, you will lose the appeal.

You need to read all the operator's comments and strongly challenge every single one.

Stick Britannia popla rebuttal into the forum's search facility, choose Show Posts and you will find other people's rebuttal attempts.
  • wbbigdave
    Options
    I believe they are using the wording in the PCN

"If you were not the driver of the vehicle at the time, you should tell us the current postal address of the driver and pass this notice to them"

Also they are quoting sections of the BPA code on signage. Again I would upload the photo but alas I am unable to. I can't lie I am feeling a little out of my depth here.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 132,824 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    You won't be paying a penny, you know, even if you lose at POPLA! It's only Britannia, LOL.

They might win at POPLA, if this was an ANPR camera PCN (was it?) but so what really, no-one pays these.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • wbbigdave
    Options
    Yea it was anpr. Definitely time stamped.

So at the moment I am thinking the following.

They have said in their comments that they believe me to be the driver because the records on the pcn match the dvla keeper records. This does not constitute a NTK or appropriate process. Secondly the signage they have shown photographs of are actually two differing signs. One which has a charge of 85 one of 100. Ostensibly the 100 (I believe to be the more up to date one) uses a confusing array of fonts, sizes and layout. They are also placed either high up on walls or on a roundabout in the car park. This roundabout, whilst being within sight line whilst driving into the car park, is not an ideal place to put suck a sign, given that a driver has to be more aware of traffic movement at said roundabout and has to make a sharp left hand turn.

But what is your opinions?
  • nosferatu1001
    nosferatu1001 Posts: 12,961 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    They believe youre the driver because...the DVLA says youre the keeper? That is a complete load of tosh, and they know it.

You need to
    a) point out that their own evidence is misleading and should not be beleived - it cannot both be 85 and 100
    b) that even if POPLA ignores this fact, the signage cannot meet the clear standards as set out in PE vs Beavis, and so the signage is inadequate.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure