Take in a lodger... official MoneySavingExpert.com discussion

Options

Comments

• Andy_Hamilton
    Options
    Having lodgers may not be good for you!

You have to adapt how you use your home which can upset some people.
    Would you like to ask for permission to sit on a sofa? Why would you expect someone else to?

Things which you have to change are:
    Cupboard space in kitchen and bathroom (as much space as you would like for yourself).
    Not being able to get into the bathroom when you want it.
    Not being able to cook when they are using the oven.

Never fit a lock on any door for lodgers as it gives them much more rights as a tenant not a lodger.

Like I say, your life has to change if you want the money. No one except the government gets paid for nothing!
    Lets get this straight. Say my house is worth £100K, it drops £20K and I complain but I should not complain when I actually pay £200K via a mortgage:rolleyes:
  • MoneyMuppet_2
    Options
    I'm looking to take in a lodger/ tennant but I'm not sure where to go to get an agreement of sorts set up,

is there some sort of template or standard that we need to use?

Can anyone help me with this enq, got any links etc please?

Many thanks.

:j
  • Andy_Hamilton
    Options
    WH smiths have them or look on ebay for a "professional" one
    Lets get this straight. Say my house is worth £100K, it drops £20K and I complain but I should not complain when I actually pay £200K via a mortgage:rolleyes:
  • Hardup_Hester
    Hardup_Hester Posts: 4,800 Forumite
    Options
    I let out my spare room with a TV/DVD player & wireless internet access & so far all my lodgers have stayed in their room & not hung around in the kitchen or lounge. We don't have rule on noise or guests, we just ask them to use common sense & so far have only had one lodger who had to be asked to keep the noise down, she genuinely didn't realise how loud she was.

Never let success go to your head, never let failure go to your heart.
  • seven-day-weekend
    Options
    You can find all the Lodgers' Agreements, Forms for taking up references etc and excellen advice. on
    www.landlordzone.co.uk
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • marc.faulkner
    Options
    I'm currently considering taking in a lodger.

We have a graduate developer starting at work next month, and he's put a poster on the notice board asking for "a spare room or lodgings" local to work.

I'm going to drop him an email on Monday to see whether he's found anywhere yet, and if not I'll offer him my spare room. What I have to offer is nothing special (a "large" box room, really) however it has the advantage of being cheap as I'm not taking a lodger in for financial reasons.

I'll let you all know what happens, and if he does move in I'll let you know how things go. :)
  • Joyful
    Joyful Posts: 2,426 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I would suggest taking 6 weeks deposit from a Lodger. Mine gave me 4 weeks and after the first pyt did not have the next months. I gave him notice and used the deposit for the rent. The problem was I had nothing left to take off phone bills which I had asked him not to make! I had major probs with him- my first foray into taking a tenant. I have gone back to Foreign language students and after getting 1 from a school for 6 weeks I then got his friend for 10 weeks and now I am getting HIS friend. Looking like I am getting a reputation for talking a lot! LOL
    Self Employed, Running my Dream Jobs
  • tedsmith
    tedsmith Posts: 4 Newbie
    edited 24 July 2009 at 2:22AM
    Options
    pm me your email address and I'll try and send you mine later this evening

Hi Andy,

Matt asked on the 9 July 08 that "Does anyone have a basic room to rent agreement, I have just rented my spare room out and want to cover myself?"

You kindly offered to send him a copy that you used, can I ask you to send a copy for me too? I'm also thinking of taking on a lodger, and wondering what type of agreement would be appropriated?

Thanks & regards,
    Ted Smith
  • h8money
    Options
    I have been advertising for a lodger for the last 3 weeks..... not heard a peep!!! I know it its probably the wrong time of year with xmas looming and the credit crunch etc..... can anyone suggest places I can advertise for a professional to house share? I have a modern 2 bed house, furnished room, all in for £320 per month.... thought I would get my hand snapped off! :rolleyes:
  • Andy_Hamilton
    Options
    In march I advertised my room in a newbuild house, within 4 days it was occupied.
    I thought it would be the same when my lodger 1 moved out, that was at the end of August. Last week I found my new lodger so nearly 3 months without income.

I think people are just sticking with their current situations.
    To get people through the door you need your advertisement to be special and stand out of the croud.
    Places like www.spareroom.co.uk www.easyroommate.com and gumtree are a good start.
    Pay for upgraded adverts as people are unlikely to upgrade just to get your number (more likely to upgrade to get your number and your competitions numbers.

As you have found out, you can not rely on lodger income to get you out of a hole.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure