Take in a lodger... official MoneySavingExpert.com discussion

Options
1181920212224»

Comments

• pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You might do better by asking in the house buying and renting forum.
  • Azzzaa
    Azzzaa Posts: 346 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    I'm sure there must be a section for that on this forum somewhere :) and congrats on thinking about renting your room, there are so many rooms out there unused which could be beneficial for someone. It's something I push for when i talk to people who need money, it benefits both the renter and person who needs a room :)
    Documenting my journey from full time support worker to full time eBay reseller :)
  • mateypeeps
    Options
    2. The Rent a Room Scheme
    The Rent a Room Scheme lets you earn up to a threshold of £7,500 per year tax-free from letting out furnished accommodation in your home. This is halved if you share the income with your partner or someone else.

You can let out a room or an entire floor.
  • Ddddlodger
    Options
    Hi. My rent out a small room in my flat. Icharge a small amount Inn recognition. Of this. The lodger wombats to buy a desk and put it in the living room. I won't own of use the desk. Also this would mean me having to take out something of mine s from the living room. I'm Unsure what to do? Am I ok to Ask for more rent if the lodger will technically have more use of the property than originally agreed.
  • mikep22
    mikep22 Posts: 1,529 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Ddddlodger wrote: »
    Hi. My rent out a small room in my flat. Icharge a small amount Inn recognition. Of this. The lodger wombats to buy a desk and put it in the living room. I won't own of use the desk. Also this would mean me having to take out something of mine s from the living room. I'm Unsure what to do? Am I ok to Ask for more rent if the lodger will technically have more use of the property than originally agreed.

I think in English you are asking..your lodger wants a desk in your living room?

Surely that is dependant on the terms of the tenancy agreement? Do you allow them to use the rest of the house? But I cant imagine they can buy something to put in the non rented area and claim it as theirs.

I do not think raising the rent is the way to go, to be honest, if the lodger already has use of this area then they do not have more use of the property. I do think you would be within your rights to say anything which goes in a shared area should be shared, mind.
    Debt: May 15: £17335 Jul 16: £13874 Jan 17: £11,606 Dec 18: £8,308 Sept 19: £4,969 Jul 21: £890
    :beer:
  • Honeylife
    Options
    Ddddlodger wrote: »
    Hi. My rent out a small room in my flat. I charge a small amount Inn recognition. Of this. The lodger wombats to buy a desk and put it in the living room. I won't own of use the desk. Also this would mean me having to take out something of mine s from the living room. I'm Unsure what to do? Am I ok to Ask for more rent if the lodger will technically have more use of the property than originally agreed.

You are renting a room in your house so you are a Resident Landlord with a lodger. You haven't said if you have a written Agreement and if you have some kind of House Rules.

My personal advice is that if the lodger wants a desk it must be put in his rented room, not the living room as that is actually not part of the shared/rented area. If you allow him casual use of the living room you should not be permitting him to bring furniture of any sort into that room. You should never remove any of your own personal furniture to accommodate a lodger after the lodger has arrived. They agreed to the room and furniture therein on arrival. You can offer to purchase a desk, a small computer desk if you are limited on space and if you think it could be a good investment for future lodgers. Then it will be yours. But it should be in the Lodger's room.

I am occasionally asked to take a piece of furniture out and I simply say no. One boy didn't like the coffee table in his room, bought another one and asked me "if there was somewhere he could put the original coffee table". I simply said no! He was cross as he ended up with two coffee tables in his room making it crowded.

As to asking for more rent - that is out of the question. Absolutely not.
    "... during that time you must never succumb to buying an extra piece of bread for the table or a toy for a child, no." the Pawnbroker 1964

2023: 1p challenge £667.95/ £669.00 completed
    2024: 1p challenge 667.95
    2024: 52 Challenge 1378.
    2024: Cashback
    2024: Sparechange
    2024: Declutter one room
  • DippyHippy86
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I was thinking of taking in a lodger in order to get extra money for mortgage overpayments.

I was wondering if anyone had gone down this route & if there was any advice regarding tax returns, websites etc?

Thanks

Em
    Mortgage:
    August 2018 - £121,500
    Goal: Pay off in 8 years
    Term: 25 year / 5 year fix

GC November - £306.25/£300
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,302 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Rent a room scheme allows £7500 before you pay tax