12346»

Comments

• peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Comms69 wrote: »
    He... pays 10p per chore....

10p per chore? So you're telling your children that is all they are worth. Nice.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • engineer_amy
    Options
    From about age 12 until 18, my granddad gave me £5 per week pocket money, on the basis that I helped my mum with the chores. Every Friday when he visited, he would ask mum for a list of things that I had helped with that week. On one or two occasions, he deemed that my assistance was insufficient and I didn't get any pocket money that week. I learnt very quickly that offering to do things and using a bit of initiative gave me far more brownie points than waiting to be asked to do something.
    Then from about age 15, I was deemed responsible enough to babysit once a fortnight for a family friend, for which I received £10 per time. It coincided with getting my first PAYG mobile phone, so this paid for my top ups each month.
    Getting a fixed amount of pocket money each week taught me that once its gone, its gone, so all of a sudden that eyeshadow wasn't such a must have item, if I wanted to buy the new Spice Girls album!
    Mortgage = [STRIKE]£113,495 (May 2009)[/STRIKE] £67462.74 Jun 2019
  • Madbags
    Madbags Posts: 222 Forumite
    edited 17 January 2018 at 5:51PM
    Options
    My grandparents used to give me and my brothers pocket money, my parents however did not, 50p a week from one and 50p a week from another. Our parents just bought us the things we needed and occasionally the things wanted when we were growing up.

We weren't exactly a rich family so pocket money from my parents was out of the question really. That 50p or whatever would be a few pints of milk to them and in all honestly I'm grateful we always got fed and clothed etc.

As for money to do chores, same as the above, that was out of the question too. To be honest me and my brothers, even from a young age, could see how our parents worked damn hard to put food on the table, we were all intelligent enough.

All we wanted when we got a little bit older and still living at home was a quiet life. Our mother used to come home from work and nag and moan about the chores (by this point parents were divorced and Dad living elsewhere on his own) but eventually we decided we would just do all the chores every day (even when we got old enough to have our own jobs) so she could come home and not have to moan about the same thing every day. We never expected anything in return except peace and quiet.
  • I pay my children the lower JSA rate £59.10p a week each and will up this to the higher rate if/when they attend university. They understand that this covers all their spends outside of education. Clothes, treats, and activities. Last year my 6 year old son treated me to a ride in an R44 helicopter!!!
  • beautiful_ravens
    Options
    If I have money, I offer money to the kids to do jobs.
    If I have no spare money, I ask them to do a few things around the house.
    Eiither way, they sometimes get money, and sometimes do chores.
    ''A moment's thinking is an hour in words.'' -Thomas Hood
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    10p per chore? So you're telling your children that is all they are worth. Nice.

Not what they're worth, no.

A chore may be to feed the pets, to put clothes in the washing machine, whatever. Typically it works out at around 50p per day, which is plenty.

Sorry you feel you're only worth what you're paid to do though :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure