Family home on the (distant) horizon - savings diary

Options

Comments

• *little.squirrel*
    Options
    Thanks, Alex. I hadn't thought of that. It would certainly help to keep everything separate and he does seem to have quite a few days lined up when he will need to travel.

February starting a bit better than Jan! I got all the monthly 'pot' money moved over and things are looking healthy there. I need to get a birthday present for my niece but that shouldn't be too expensive. I also transferred £200 over the the H2B and £100 into our regular 'deposit savings'. DH got paid about £500 more than usual so I've sent him off to work to check his payslip. We weren't expecting anything extra so I'm worried they have made a mistake with his stipend.

The first grocery shop of the month arrived and I didn't spend too much. We still have a lot of meat in the freezer that was gifted to us so trying to use that before buying anything new. We did spend some money on booze - DH needed beer and then we have his Dad and brother visiting in March so we are trying to spread the cost there a wee bit. My folks are coming soon but I'm hoping they will bring a couple of bottles of wine with them. I do need to do a wine order but Il'l just use Ald! online which keeps the costs down.

Should be a NSD today. The playgroup I go to on a Thursday is free and then I don't have anything on this afternoon before going to work tonight. I do need to email work, I've got some holidays to take before the end of the month so need to get my dates in. I'm only taking 2 days and being paid for the rest so I'm hoping my wage will be higher than I expect and I can get the extra transferred into savings.
    #112 Save 12k in 2018: 5000/6000
    #35 Save 12k in 2019: 4985.28/7000
    #32 Save 12k in 2020: 13282.17/12000
    #60 Save 12k in 2021: 0/13000
  • *little.squirrel*
    Options
    In good news, the extra wages are ours to keep. :j Unexpected but happy days. DH was on an emergency tax code so now that has been sorted out we were due a rebate. I've put part of it to the CC and that is now at zero (and will remain that way!) and the rest into savings. Whoop!

In bad news, I am tired and grumpy today. Back from work around midnight then E was in our bed at 2am and up for the day at 5.30. I'm definitely not being the best Mum. Had to go to post office to mail successful eB@y sales and that cost me two packets of smarties. :) Then a trip to the baker to get some rolls for dinner tonight that I forgot to order in my delivery on Wed. WE watched a Jamie Oliver programme the other day and C was taken with a recipe for meatballs in a bun so he wants to help make them tonight. It is Friday so a glass of wine awaits, which I am looking forward to. Just now I'm making another large coffee to get me through the next few hours!! Really chuffed to have sold some stuff though. Relisted a few items and have had a bid on one already. Need to find a few more bits to sell! Postage for two items was lower than I anticipated though so hope my feedback isn't too negative. The other two items have cost a little more I didn't have the right kind of packaging. Need to factor all these things in if I'm going to sell things more often.

Huge to do list for the next few days, starting with a call to the States to sort some pension stuff out. We also need to file a US tax return which will inevitably be more complicated than we expect. We changed our tax codes last Jan though so hopefully we will have paid the correct amount of tax and won't owe anything.

First, coffee!
  • sjp999
    sjp999 Posts: 146 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 2 February 2018 at 5:22PM
    Options
    In good news, the extra wages are ours to keep. :j Unexpected but happy days. DH was on an emergency tax code so now that has been sorted out we were due a rebate. I've put part of it to the CC and that is now at zero (and will remain that way!) and the rest into savings. Whoop!

In bad news, I am tired and grumpy today. Back from work around midnight then E was in our bed at 2am and up for the day at 5.30. I'm definitely not being the best Mum. Had to go to post office to mail successful eB@y sales and that cost me two packets of smarties. :) Then a trip to the baker to get some rolls for dinner tonight that I forgot to order in my delivery on Wed. WE watched a Jamie Oliver programme the other day and C was taken with a recipe for meatballs in a bun so he wants to help make them tonight. It is Friday so a glass of wine awaits, which I am looking forward to. Just now I'm making another large coffee to get me through the next few hours!! Really chuffed to have sold some stuff though. Relisted a few items and have had a bid on one already. Need to find a few more bits to sell! Postage for two items was lower than I anticipated though so hope my feedback isn't too negative. The other two items have cost a little more I didn't have the right kind of packaging. Need to factor all these things in if I'm going to sell things more often.

Huge to do list for the next few days, starting with a call to the States to sort some pension stuff out. We also need to file a US tax return which will inevitably be more complicated than we expect. We changed our tax codes last Jan though so hopefully we will have paid the correct amount of tax and won't owe anything.

First, coffee!

Rubbish woman, rubbish - you're doing what you can as well as you can so we'll have none of that negative speak around here if you please :)

As a wee aside, check out peterjaneandmummytoo on Facebook if you ever need a child/mummy related boost
  • *little.squirrel*
    Options
    sjp999 - thank you. I appreciate it :) Some days are definitely harder than others! I'll check out that page as well.

Quiet day at home before heading to work tonight. Took the kids out to splash in puddles since it's so miserable. Gave them a much needed run about! Posted last couple of eb@y packages. The PayPal account is looking healthy but I'm waiting to transfer the balance in case I sell anything else this month. I've got some baby Ugg boots that were a gift and barely worn, and then another friend gave me a pink pair that haven't been worn either. They aren't really my style and my daughter hasn't shown much interest so I'm thinking I might just sell them.
  • *little.squirrel*
    Options
    Couple of spanners in the works re: no spending on make up and no purchasing brand new clothes...

I really need a mascara :) I actually feel quite empowered, and I hope that doesn't sound ridiculous, by my decision to stop wearing make up frequently. 10 years ago I couldn't imagine going to work without make up on but I'm really getting quite comfortable without it. But for times when I do wear it I need a mascara for my seriously short eyelashes. I figured that I could use my Debenhams gift card that MIL gave me for Christmas and get a decent but probably relatively expensive mascara. The problem with this is that if I'm not really wearing make up at all will it dry up before I get maximum use out of it? Hmmmm. I usually just buy a cheaper Maybelline one, but that breaks the rules. Unless maybe I have some advantage points saved up, which I doubt.

I also need some new socks. Or, I need to repair holes in ones I already have. Chat with some other frugal friends yesterday and they were pointing out that a 5 pack of socks from a budget supermarket will probably be cheaper than a second hand site, if people even sell socks in such places. Or I can just steal hubby's, but his feet are considerably bigger.

Food for thought on this chilly Tuesday. I'll do some scouting about on the boards, I'm sure there is good advice somewhere.

Trying to calculate my wages this month and I think we should have some extra to save. I'm hoping for about £200. I've been working a bit more than usual and I'm tired. :rotfl: Asked for a couple of Saturdays off as holidays and then for my remaining days just to be paid. Not sure when that will go through but it will either be this pay period or the next.

DH is tracking his expenses which is great, and submitting them more more quickly than usual! Waiting for his card to come through from his own account so he can start having full responsibility for managing them himself.
  • *little.squirrel*
    Options
    Things to do (today?)

Bundle and photograph more kids clothes for eBay
    List Dyson for sale on gumtree
    Complete committee meeting minutes
    Read through paperwork for next committee meeting
    Bake bread
    Source niece's birthday present
    Washing
    Clean downstairs loo

Seems like enough to be getting on with! We have a Dyson that you pull along but it is absolutely useless. It takes a long time to get the hoovering done and so I hate doing it and don't do it enough. So we have decided to sell it. We'll make a loss but I just can't bear to use it anymore. :mad: Need to find a decent upright vacuum for a low price. I should add that to the list too.
  • Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,653 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You might get more money for your Dyson if you improve your description to focus on the positives? :j
  • *little.squirrel*
    Options
    Alexland wrote: »
    You might get more money for your Dyson if you improve your description to focus on the positives? :j

:rotfl:

Yes! I don't suppose I'll have buyers lining up based on that!
  • Eco_Miser
    Eco_Miser Posts: 4,708 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Couple of spanners in the works re: no spending on make up and no purchasing brand new clothes...
    You make rules to stop unnecessary spending.
    You find some spending to be necessary, but would break your rules.
    There is a way round your rules, but it will cost more.
    That would be silly.
    Either stick to the spirit of your rules, and don't buy the mascara or socks, or change your rules to buy the best value for money 'necessities' should they become necessary.
    Eco Miser
    Saving money for well over half a century
  • *little.squirrel*
    Options
    Bundle and photograph more kids clothes for eBay Looked out but not photographed yet
    List Dyson for sale on gumtree Hoovered and scrubbed carpet but not listed
    Complete committee meeting minutes In process
    Read through paperwork for next committee meeting Part 1 complete
    Bake bread Done
    Source niece's birthday present
    Washing Done
    Clean downstairs loo

Seems like I got easily sidetracked into other things yesterday. Tesco delivery due this morning. It was supposed to be late afternoon but I realised we weren't going to have anything for lunch! I'm considering town today but swithering over the bus fare. I'll figure out if it is really worth going. Otherwise I can take E to the library, it's just really cold today and we go by bike. I do need some international stamps so we could take a walk to the post office.

Thinking about Eco Miser encouraging me to stick to my own rules. I was sorting through a box of stuff in the bathroom and came across a mascara there, so that will last me a wee while. I think it must have been my Mum's because I don't remember buying it. I also pulled my winter socks out of the cupboard and I'll get the most of them just now while the temperature has dropped again. That will save me from any rule circumventing just now. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business