Wickes kitchen installation cost

Options
Hi,

Had a quote from Wickes for a new kitchen today, although the cost for the kitchen itself it reasonable their installation cost is ridiculous: 10 units, plus a couple of integrated appliances, plumbing into the utility for a washing machine and a few new sockets plus tiling. In total Wickes have quoted £2150 for the installation and another £1300 to the plumber and electrician for their work. So almost £3500 in total.

Has anyone got any suggestions regarding installation, surely I would be better getting an independent kitchen fitter in? I can't see it being more than a days work for a plumber and electrician to do their part.

Any ideas would be great.

Comments

• exiled_red
    Options
    The in store prices for fitting from people like Wicks and B&Q tend to be quite high, I would speak to independent kitchen fitters and get quotes from them, they will probably be cheaper, if you want the Wicks kitchen show them the layout/plans from Wicks.
  • premkit
    premkit Posts: 244 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Go back in and tell them you want it reduced or your money will go elswhere. Wickes installation charges have crept up over the last few years. The only problem with getting an independent fitter is you really have to know how good he is and see previous work. Don't just pick a fitter from yellow P or check a cow.
  • rainbow143
    Options
    Hi there - I'm due to have my Wickes kitchen fitted in a couple of weeks.
    We were quite happy with the quote for fitting from Wickes - yes it was about £2000 but thought that was quite reasonable. It was only later that we realised that the contract had lots of information about the installation of the appliances. There are extra costs for this if there is work to do on the wiring. The fitter visited us for a survey and we found he was insistent in carrying out this work even though we had our own electrician - so I feel that the fitters are very keen to increase their income this way. Although it has to be said that it must make it easier for them if they are in control of the wiring etc..
    The work he suggested he did came to a total of £1400 at one point!! But we eventually agreed on a cost of about £600. We have however cancelled his work and he will just be carrying out the work that Wickes include in their installation package.
    It is certainly worth reading the contract in great detail - yes it 9 pages long - but it gives lots of information.
  • cddc
    cddc Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    As with any large retailer which runs a national fitting service, there is a one size fits all approach to installs. Therefore you pay the same administration fee, the same amount for removing and disposing of your old kitchen, no matter the size.

Therefore on smaller jobs they look more expensive than on larger ones.
  • spadoosh
    spadoosh Posts: 8,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    More often than not theyre a lot more expensive than an indepedent fitter.

Although in there defense what they offer will be different.

IM not sure with specficially wickes but most of the diy shed offer guaranties on fitted kitchens. Usually up to 10 years. Unlikely to get that with an independent so usually end up with a guarantee on the products only up to 2 years.

The benefit is if something goes wrong you just phone wickes and get it sorted. Youre not playing negotiator between fitter and supplier.

Im quite DIY minded so would never pay to get a kitchen fitted. I can see value in what they offer though as a one stop shop, you just pay for the privilege. Thats not to say there wont be problems with wickes and that there will be problems using and independent.

Side fact, wickes will offer contracts to local kitchen fitters. Theyll be paid less by wickes than creating their own work but its more guaranteed. Ultimately that means you could get someone who fits wickes kitchens on a daily basis (and thus will know all the ins and outs, good at solving remedial problems etc) whilst avoiding the wickes price. Problem being wickes arent aboutt o disclose the information to you. Any fitters that quote you might though.
  • Chris_P_2
    Chris_P_2 Posts: 194 Forumite
    Options
    My b&q quote was more than double a local guy
  • ska_lover
    ska_lover Posts: 3,773 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Our wickes quote was also more than double the local kitchen fitter, however be careful choosing as you can spend thousands of pounds on a poorly fitted kitchen if you dont pick your workman wisely
    The opposite of what you know...is also true
  • ryanmaryland
    Options
    Haven't had a full-on Wickes kitchen renovation but why not opt out to buy items from other sellers it might surprise you. Or turn into your local retailer, they might have the kitchen supplies you need for less.
    Choose to be the better person, always.
  • Dean000000
    Dean000000 Posts: 612 Forumite
    Options
    What is happening here is wicks are employing a local fitter do do the work, and applying a hefty mark up....

Why? Because they can...but that’s also their prerogative too....

What you get in return is some piece of mind that you have full recourse against wickes for supply or installation defects (I.e if doors fall off in 6 months - there can be no doubt in whether it’s the fitters fault or not)

Wicks will also have to price in the risk of any fitter incompetence, and the potential that they, as wickes won’t be able to recover their losses through their fitter...

That, and any overhead in relation to processing such issues....

Whereas going direct - you will get a better price, but forego any of the above benefits.

In my mind it’s a confidence and risk profiling thing.

If you are confident you can handle any potential issues with either the supply, or installation (as separate entities) then go direct - whereas if you want a 1 stop shop, use wickes.
  • keith969
    keith969 Posts: 1,571 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Dean000000 wrote: »
    What is happening here is wicks are employing a local fitter do do the work, and applying a hefty mark up.....

My experience was Wickes contracted the work to a local pair of fitters. We paid the fitters, not Wickes, for the installation and at about £3k for 10 days work it was not exactly a ripoff. And they did a good job.
    For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple and wrong.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure