Mortgage Overpayments

Options
Hello,

My fiance and I are setting aside money each month to overpay the mortgage, currently £100.00 a month.

The idea is to save the £100.00 a month up until our first mortgage term is over (August 2022), then remortgage with the money saved as another "deposit" to reduce the term of the mortgage.

We're currently saving it in premium bonds, just so that it's set aside from the rest of our money and there's the, albeit minuscule, chance of winning the million.

There's a lingering feeling in the back of my mind that saving the overpayments in premium bonds isn't the best idea, as of course it earns no interest and the chances of winning anything are slim.

I've considered investing it, (I'm already investing separately for retirement), but with less than 5 years I'm not 100% sure on this idea either, as it could drop a lot in value when I need it & I'm not sure what level of risk is advised for a 5 year time frame with money I will need.

Or should I just phone up the lender and overpay the mortgage each time there's enough money to cover another payment?

Is there a best choice here or is it down to personal preference?

I appreciate any input.

Comments

• AlexTheLion
    Options
    Have you not considered saving your extras in cash accounts? 3-5% interest accounts available from various providers with instant access if required. Or at least filling up the larger paying ones before heading towards the PB. I like the idea of the 'in it to win it' with premium bonds, but would be disappointed with no returns at all that could have been in a cash account.
  • Drucifer
    Drucifer Posts: 21 Forumite
    Options
    Have you not considered saving your extras in cash accounts? 3-5% interest accounts available from various providers with instant access if required. Or at least filling up the larger paying ones before heading towards the PB. I like the idea of the 'in it to win it' with premium bonds, but would be disappointed with no returns at all that could have been in a cash account.

Thank you for your input.

I did briefly consider saving it in a cash account, I've already got many accounts each with a specific purpose and to my knowledge, though could be wrong, I'd need a particular amount of Direct Debits to pay out or a certain amount to pay in to qualify for interest, just too much juggling around for my liking and extra things to track, and I prefer my Direct Debits to be at an absolute minimum.

So not my first choice, but can be done if this is the best option.
  • kezzygirl
    kezzygirl Posts: 889 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Drucifer wrote: »
    Thank you for your input.

I did briefly consider saving it in a cash account, I've already got many accounts each with a specific purpose and to my knowledge, though could be wrong, I'd need a particular amount of Direct Debits to pay out or a certain amount to pay in to qualify for interest, just too much juggling around for my liking and extra things to track, and I prefer my Direct Debits to be at an absolute minimum.

So not my first choice, but can be done if this is the best option.

Nationwide flexdirect have 5% interest and you only have to pay in £1000 per month- no direct debits. You font have to keep the 1k in there, I just do it by standing order and transfer it straight back out
  • bertpalmer
    Options
    Personally I would invest it. My thoughts are that you could easily make 10% a year on it. Minimum. But that’s just my attitude to risk - assuming 3 year minimum period.

Premium bonds wouldn’t be on my radar as an option.
  • atush
    atush Posts: 18,726 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If you have emergency cash, cosider a s&s isa as well

What are your pensions like?
  • LHW99
    LHW99 Posts: 4,222 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    What is the current mortgage interest rate? If that is more than about 3%, and you are able to overpay without penalty, then overpaying as you have funds could be a good option, as you would then be reducing the interest you pay overall and will build up equity in the current property to rollover.
  • Drucifer
    Drucifer Posts: 21 Forumite
    Options
    Our mortgage rate is 2.80%, I'm a basic rate taxpayer on a relatively "low" Income, I've a pension that my employer contributes to (4%) and I salary sacrifice 3% for my own contributions, at the rate that I'm contributing to my Vanguard ISA my pension is looking like the supplement to my retirement.

We've been buying PB's thus far and we've won nothing, pretty much 5 months so far without any growth, so I've been thinking about investing, anyone got any suggestions for the timescale? (August 2022)

As mentioned I do have a Vanguard ISA so I'd prefer to invest within there.
  • kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    About four-and-a-half years? Then regular savers yielding 5% p.a. are your best bet.
    Free the dunston one next time too.
  • justme111
    justme111 Posts: 3,508 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    depends on the mortgage terms. you can phone tgem and ask if you can increase your payments by £200 a month and avoid faff and temptation to use that miney cor other purposes - that is if you are allowed to . If not - regular saving accounts as suggested.
    The word "dilemma" comes from Greek where "di" means two and "lemma" means premise. Refers usually to difficult choice between two undesirable options.
    Often people seem to use this word mistakenly where "quandary" would fit better.
  • ValiantSon
    ValiantSon Posts: 2,586 Forumite
    Options
    Hello,

My fiance and I are setting aside money each month to overpay the mortgage, currently £100.00 a month.

The idea is to save the £100.00 a month up until our first mortgage term is over (August 2022), then remortgage with the money saved as another "deposit" to reduce the term of the mortgage.

We're currently saving it in premium bonds, just so that it's set aside from the rest of our money and there's the, albeit minuscule, chance of winning the million.

There's a lingering feeling in the back of my mind that saving the overpayments in premium bonds isn't the best idea, as of course it earns no interest and the chances of winning anything are slim.

You have that lingering feeling because premium bonds are an almost completely pointless product for the vast majority of people in this country. You earn no interest and, as you have said, have only an infinitesimally small chance of winning £1 million. The chances of you winning enough to break even compared to a normal easy access savings account are also stacked against you.

Premium bonds are rubbish.
    I've considered investing it, (I'm already investing separately for retirement), but with less than 5 years I'm not 100% sure on this idea either, as it could drop a lot in value when I need it & I'm not sure what level of risk is advised for a 5 year time frame with money I will need.

Five years is too short to be looking at an investment. There is a very high chance that your investments will have lost significant value over such a short timeframe.
    Or should I just phone up the lender and overpay the mortgage each time there's enough money to cover another payment?

This would save you more in interest than just paying a chunk off at the end of your fix. Double-check how much you are allowed to overpay each year (often it is no more than 10% of the outstanding value).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure