Buying an Audi

Options
geek84
geek84 Posts: 1,105 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
A very Happy New Year to you all.

My wife and I are thinking of buying either an Audi A4 or A6 within the next 18 months. We don’t use the family car too much since my wife & I use public transport to get to and from work, we would do approx. 6000 mile per year. We have 2 teenage kids and the car would be for the family.
Apart from price and size, what other things would we need to consider whether to buy an Audi A4 or A6? What size and type of engine should we look for? How old should the car be? Is buying a car with 50k on the clock already a bit excessive?
Any advice greatly appreciated.

Comments

• wgl2014
    wgl2014 Posts: 1,144 Forumite
    Options
    Avoid diesel with your low annual mileage.

50k miles is nothing for a modern (properly serviced) car. I wouldn't get too hung up on age either, condition is far more important.
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,691 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have owned several Audis and found them to be very reliable. I currently drive an SQ5

Audi offer cheap fixed price servicing for 3+ year old cars and 55,000 is not an issue IF the car has been cared for.

As noted diesel is not recommended if you do short journeys. The 2.0 TFSI is a strong engine with reasonable economy, however the vast majority of Audi A4&6 for sale will be diesel. With all the BS about Deiselgate, you might find a bargain. If the price is right, go for it.

If you can afford it, this A6 All Road Quattro would be a good choice
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • loskie
    loskie Posts: 1,761 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    for your mileage you may get a better deal if you buy a large petrol engined car. At 6000m mpg is largely irrelevant you may well get much more for your money. 50000m on a car is nothing. Also worth looking at Volvo s60 or 80
  • thescouselander
    Options
    Just avoid the poverty spec models - there are loads of these about as many people buy the cheapest model just so they can have the badge. The reality of living with these cars is pretty grim though as they're missing kit that would be seen as essential/standard on many other cars.

Also look out for dodgy central locking mechanisms. I had all 4 doors and the petrol flap go on my A4 and they're expensive to fix unless you can do it yourself (I got pretty good at this in the end)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Make sure the indicators work, they may have seized due to lack of use :D

Only kidding before someone take the fence :p
    I know no one uses indicators anymore.
  • Mr.Generous
    Mr.Generous Posts: 3,379 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Look at a Skoda Superb as an alternative too, ignore the badge snobery, they are as good as an Audi.
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,632 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    wgl2014 wrote: »
    Avoid diesel with your low annual mileage.

Interesting point, is mileage a problem if the low miles are all done on motorway? My understanding is that it was short journeys that's the issue not low miles themselves
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,478 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Look at a Skoda Superb as an alternative too, ignore the badge snobery, they are as good as an Audi.

They are - though ridiculously large. My Passat is BIG and a Superb is bigger again. :eek:
  • Muscle750
    Muscle750 Posts: 1,075 Forumite
    Options
    I got A6 3.0 tdi le mans estate ive always had Audis and wouldnt be without mine lovely motorway car auto box quattro will get up0 and go when req especially on the padals on steering wheel and in S mode. 33 MPG and just over 40 on motorway
  • thescouselander
    Options

Lol - Skoda's have come a long way but they're not as good as Audi's in terms of refinement.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure