If a company delivers, are they obliged to collect?

Options

Comments

• Supersonos
    Supersonos Posts: 1,080 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    But I wonder how many times that same company has made a profit on an order that a customer made, discovered that the goods ordered were unsuitable then failed to return those goods for a refund because the T&C's of the seller did not comply with the relevant consumer legislation?

You're absolutely correct - really good point. Just on my purchse alone, I was prepared to take the hit on the £160 because it was cheaper than returning it.

Had, before purchase, rather than the listing just saying "Buyer pays return postage" it had said "Buyer pays return postage - possible cost of return £700" I'd most certainly not have bothered.

And look at all the responses on here that were ultimately telling me to suck it up and making me to look like the baddy.

It's the trader who's the bad guy here. For hiding behind eBay's T&Cs and attempting to not follow legal procedures for his own profit.
  • AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Supersonos wrote: »
    You're absolutely correct - really good point. Just on my purchse alone, I was prepared to take the hit on the £160 because it was cheaper than returning it.

Had, before purchase, rather than the listing just saying "Buyer pays return postage" it had said "Buyer pays return postage - possible cost of return £700" I'd most certainly not have bothered.

And look at all the responses on here that were ultimately telling me to suck it up and making me to look like the baddy.

It's the trader who's the bad guy here. For hiding behind eBay's T&Cs and attempting to not follow legal procedures for his own profit.

So the supplier is taking the hit, let’s just hope the bag doesn’t split when they attempt to lift it.
  • Supersonos
    Options
    So the supplier is taking the hit, let’s just hope the bag doesn’t split when they attempt to lift it.

Absolutely, otherwise they'll have to spend quite a long time clearing it up.
  • Warwick_Hunt
    Warwick_Hunt Posts: 1,179 Forumite
    Options
    Absolutely, otherwise they'll have to spend quite a long time clearing it up.

I bet they won’t. It’ll be sorry mate !!!! happens and they’ll drive off and leave it with you.
  • Supersonos
    Options
    I bet they won’t. It’ll be sorry mate !!!! happens and they’ll drive off and leave it with you.

Then I'll charge them for the clean-up. After all, if their bags are going to be of such poor quality and their workers so incompetent, what do they expect?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Well done for costing a company a lot of money for your mistake. You must be very proud.
  • NCC-1707
    NCC-1707 Posts: 348 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Royal PITA...and very largely unthankful for help given.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    But I wonder how many times that same company has made a profit on an order that a customer made, discovered that the goods ordered were unsuitable then failed to return those goods for a refund because the T&C's of the seller did not comply with the relevant consumer legislation?

Infrequently I would imagine, most people placing an order would take care to choose the right thing in the first place. And the only profit made is that profit that they would have made had the correct thing been bought, they have supplied the goods requested at the price agreed.
  • Supersonos
    Options
    Well done for costing a company a lot of money for your mistake. You must be very proud.

I'm afraid you've confused me with the guy who wrote the company's T&Cs but failed to put in the cost of returning the goods.

It's their mistake that's cost them, not mine.
  • AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'm afraid you've confused me with the guy who wrote the company's T&Cs but failed to put in the cost of returning the goods.

It's their mistake that's cost them, not mine.

Well to be fair neither of you are without blame.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure