PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Landlord selling / sold house need some legal advice

Options

Comments

• Keto_Plastics
    Options
    Comms69 wrote: »
    You may as well, there's only so many reasons why.

It's probably better for someone here to confirm you're right, than for you to think you're right and be wrong.

Will happily say what it is in PM if You want to know what it is
    Best option IMO as I don't want to give the LL or anyone associated with them (IF They are watching / reading) a heads up
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • Keto_Plastics
    Options
    The landlord doesn't have to reimburse you for upgrading the kitchen, but you might as well ask. Its a reasonable request.

It would also be a good idea to approach the landlord/agent and explain that you need the deposit back in order to pay for a deposit on a new property.

Explain that you would need a new deposit to move for somewhere else, as you have just upgrade the kitchen, and that you will not be able to move out on the date requested if you cannot afford to do so.

You could suggest that the landlord agrees to get the deposit released shortly before the end of the tenancy, or that he reimburses you for the cost of upgrading to the kitchen.

Going forwards, you should assess your financial circumstances. Everyone above the age of 21 or so should have a buffer for situations like this. Letting yourself be in a situation where you couldn't afford a month's deposit is most unwise.

Sometimes things happen in Life that cannot be controlled it has its ups and downs as We all know
    Ideally Yes having a buffer would of been ideal and is wise to do so but sometimes Life does not always go the way We plan and certain things happen that no one can foresee or plan for
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • Keto_Plastics
    Options
    No, it's not significantly different in Scotland. In fact, in Scotland, the "notice to quit" isn't even valid unless it makes clear to the tenant that they don't have to leave until a court tells them to!!

By the way they are acting it is like it is set in stone that I have to move

Already know the date and time that they will be turning up at the property at the end of the notice period on the S21
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Sometimes things happen in Life that cannot be controlled it has its ups and downs as We all know
    Ideally Yes having a buffer would of been ideal and is wise to do so but sometimes Life does not always go the way We plan and certain things happen that no one can foresee or plan for

As you say contracts work 2 ways however the same applies to relationships. If you raise the temperature expect others to respond accordingly. You'll reap what you sow. Before setting out on an obstructive path be sure that you can achieve your ultimate goal. Otherwise the stress and effort might all be in vain.
  • theartfullodger
    theartfullodger Posts: 14,608 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 5 January 2018 at 6:36PM
    Options
    ProDave wrote: »
    Perhaps it is different here in Scotland. A tenancy exists until either the landlord gives 2 months notice, or the tenant gives 1 months notice.

Even under the new rules here that give the tenant more rights, the LL wanting possession to sell, or to occupy himself is still a valid reason to serve 2 months notice.
    You simply don't understand , do you!

If you are a Scottish landlord strongly suggest you join SaL & do the free LaS courses for your own sake but, more importantly, the sake of your paying customers...

Artful, Landlord in Scotland
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Does the tenancy agreement say that you have to leave the house in the same condition as it was when you moved in? If so you can take the kitchen out and replace it with a broken one. You can then sell your nice kitchen on ebay or take it with you. Or alternatively you can take out the bits of kitchen you can sell and leave a broken one that you got when you moved in.

You don't have to move in two months so if the landlord is stupid you will have plenty of time to decide what to do to the kitchen.
  • Keto_Plastics
    Options
    Thrugelmir wrote: »
    As you say contracts work 2 ways however the same applies to relationships. If you raise the temperature expect others to respond accordingly. You'll reap what you sow. Before setting out on an obstructive path be sure that you can achieve your ultimate goal. Otherwise the stress and effort might all be in vain.

It is true that " What goes around comes back around" I am a firm believer in that, seen it happen more than once over the years

My actions / re-actions are based on the actions of the LL and is not something I wanted to sow
    LL's actions, so far was threatening Me with all sorts of various stuff (last time I seen them in person)
    I made it Loud and Clear NOT to threaten Me ( Within the Law of course) also had a witness that He did not spot sitting there until after the they had threatened Me

Maybe it is their turn to reap what they have sowed... Who know's
  • Keto_Plastics
    Options
    Cakeguts wrote: »
    Does the tenancy agreement say that you have to leave the house in the same condition as it was when you moved in? If so you can take the kitchen out and replace it with a broken one. You can then sell your nice kitchen on ebay or take it with you. Or alternatively you can take out the bits of kitchen you can sell and leave a broken one that you got when you moved in.

You don't have to move in two months so if the landlord is stupid you will have plenty of time to decide what to do to the kitchen.

As far as I know yes it does
    IF I was to do that and leave the house in the condition it was in when I moved in then guaranteed they would withold the deposit, it was disgusting (and that is nothing to do with the cupboards, house full stop)
  • Slithery
    Slithery Posts: 6,046 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    You mean they would try and withhold the deposit.

It's not up to them.
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    As far as I know yes it does
    IF I was to do that and leave the house in the condition it was in when I moved in then guaranteed they would withold the deposit, it was disgusting (and that is nothing to do with the cupboards, house full stop)

Not if you had photos of what it was like when you moved in. This is one of the reasons why people suggest that you take photos of a house when you move in and when you leave.

What you want I suspect is for the landlord not to benefit from your new kitchen in the house? So you need to negotiate. The landlord wants you out in two months and you don't have the money to go then so you need to decide how much you want the landlord to pay you for the kitchen and you will want your whole deposit back as well.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure