Advice on S&S ISA Funds

Options
13»

Comments

• ValiantSon
    ValiantSon Posts: 2,586 Forumite
    Options
    DrEskimo wrote: »
    As above, I've only just started, hence the amount is so low. I fully expect the amount to be around £30k at least in 5yrs time.

Would your advice still be the same?

VLS is very well diversified and will work as a single fund for your investments. Definitely get rid of the other three funds. The following are reasons why you might choose to split your investment across VLS and HSBC:

1) You want a higher equity proportion than 60%, but not as high as 80%.
    2) You want to reduce your overall exposure to UK equities.
    3) You want to increase your exposure to corporate bonds, and thereby reduce the proportion of your investment in government bonds.

If you do want to do this then it might also mean selling some of your VLS60 units to get the right balance. It may not if you divert all regular investments to HSBC until reaching the desired proportions.

If I were you, I would sell the three other funds and decide on holding just VLS or combining with HSBC to achieve the desired proportions of equities to bonds; UK equities; corporate to government bonds. And then stop tinkering! :)
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,389 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    DrEskimo wrote: »
    As above, I've only just started, hence the amount is so low. I fully expect the amount to be around £30k at least in 5yrs time.

Would your advice still be the same?

Exactly the same. Indeed, I wouldnt be looking to go beyond multi-asset funds until you get to around £50k.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • DrEskimo
    DrEskimo Posts: 2,348 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Perfect, thanks everyone!

I'll make a decision and stop faffing :P

Hopefully my next update will be in ~5yrs time when I've accumulated more than I expected and will be asking what approach would be best for the next stage of my investments...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure