PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

More Charity Shop Bargains for 2018 & beyond!

Options

Comments

• kboss2010
    kboss2010 Posts: 1,466 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 12 May 2018 at 1:26PM
    Options
    So last night, bf casually goes !!!8220;I have a 90!!!8217;s-themed fancy dress party to go to tomorrow night, can u take me shopping for a costume?!!!8221; - NOTICE!!! He!!!8217;s also been moaning that he!!!8217;s worn out more work trousers & doesn!!!8217;t have any cargo shorts for this nice weather & whinging he can!!!8217;t afford new clothes - I think he was trying to challenge me lol as he knows I don!!!8217;t buy new clothes!

So I sent him off to golf while I spent the morning happily searching through all the charity shops in the city to find him 90!!!8217;s stonewash grunge jeans, a 90!!!8217;s band t-shirt & a flannel shirt - I spent less than £20 & came back with an awesome haul of the following:

- 90!!!8217;s jeans (£1!)
    - red & black flannel shirt (£4)
    - Blue Harbour navy chinos (£1)
    - M&S lightweight grey chinos (£4)
    - F&F navy cargo shorts (£1)
    - M&S black jeans (£2.50)

and, for me,:

- Broderie anglais eveningwear trousers (£1)
    - H&M cable-knit grey jumper (£1)
    - Official Defying Gravity Wicked t-shirt (£2)

Sadly no appropriate band t-shirt but they sell them in HMV so he can splurge on one of those given I got his shirt & jeans for £5! And he has doc martens already so costume done!
    “I want to be a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum'Coz how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?" ~ Dr A. TappingI'm finding my way back to sanity again... but I don't really know what I'm gonna do when I get there~ LifehouseWhat’s fur ye will make go by ye… but also what’s not fur ye, ye can jist scroll on by!
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Ah, my lot are as bad.
    Hence me having this link handy
    its-9pm-and-now-you-tell-me-you-needahman-for-4152891.png

But wowza, Great Haul!
  • Miró
    Miró Posts: 6,909 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Mir! wrote: »
    I'm still thinking about that bliddy hat tho!!!!! :o:p

Ermmm.....must have been wittering on about that hat this afty.....

The Bloke: 'Just popping out for 5 mins or so.......'

(TB returns)

Me: 'What's in the bag?'

The Bloke: Deposits said hat on head of moi saying,,,,'can we talk about summat else but hats now?'

:rotfl:
  • kboss2010
    kboss2010 Posts: 1,466 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ah, my lot are as bad.
    Hence me having this link handy
    its-9pm-and-now-you-tell-me-you-needahman-for-4152891.png

But wowza, Great Haul!

Thanks!

So yeah, I wasn!!!8217;t gonna go to this party but 5 mins b4 leaving, bf goes !!!8220;Would u mind coming with me?!!!8221; ... so I had 10 minutes to pull a 90!!!8217;s costume out of my wardrobe (it!!!8217;s a good job I hoarded a lot of my teenage self!!!8217;s clothes & shoes!) - walked downstairs in brown leather 90!!!8217;s platform boots, black shorts, a green tank top & a brown leather jacket with my hair in a plait ... arrived at the party & some random dude yells !!!8220;Hey, love the Lara Croft costume!!!!8221; - random dude, u made my night! !!!128514;

Yeah, I admit, I am rather smug currently at my ability to costume up just about anyone on demand like Michelle Pfeiffer in the movie !!!8220;One Fine Day!!!8221;! Last time bf did that, I made him a Dalmatian costume out of a pair of cow print pjs, painted his face, gave him a hoodie with dog ears & dressed up as Cruella De Ville. Coz I!!!8217;m *that* mean to useless men who can!!!8217;t organise a knees-up in a brewery but expect me to pull a costume out of my ***!
    “I want to be a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum'Coz how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?" ~ Dr A. TappingI'm finding my way back to sanity again... but I don't really know what I'm gonna do when I get there~ LifehouseWhat’s fur ye will make go by ye… but also what’s not fur ye, ye can jist scroll on by!
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,714 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    lesbro wrote: »
    They've closed and knocked down all our charity shops to rebuild the town and stated no more charity shops allowed. Have to travel a distance now, but will serve them right for missing out on our money in other shops.
    So what are they going to do with all the empty shops when businesses close down because they can't afford the rents and rates? :cool:

Anyhoo, I've got a few bargains recently.
    Visited 19 charity shops :eek: on my wanderings yesterday (and still had time for a few drinks in the pub :D).
    I bought 2 scarves - 1 is lightweight in green with fuchsia flowers on (nicer than it sounds) and a heavy one in fab shades of terracotta, orange, moss green and dark lilacs in an Aztec style pattern. It has lovely fringes on the end.

First was 99p from Lighthouse shop, the other was £2.50 from local Hospice. It didn't have a price on and wasn't cheap but by the time they'd told me the price I'd fallen in love with the colours. :o

A pair of Pavers leather sandals in a dark wedgewood blue, hardly worn. £3.99.
    A new pair of Asics trainers (£85.00 on Asics website) £4.99
    Both from Oxfam
  • tessie_bear
    tessie_bear Posts: 4,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    a word of warning....

I was in cr and saw a very pretty coloured pink bag went to look picked it up very cheap feeling thought I wont bother and what was written on the side ?? B and H....contents enjoyed ;) and empty bag sitting there....watch out folks its everywhere
    onwards and upwards
  • Laredouter
    Laredouter Posts: 72 Forumite
    Options
    I popped into the charity shops after my appointment to look for a denim skirt to wear when the weather gets nicer and came out with a few other bits :o

From Sue Ryder
    An immaculate dark wash Crew Clothing denim skirt- £3.25. This was exactly what I wanted, a slightly longer denim skirt that could almost pass for office wear. Should look lovely dressed up and down.
    A Joules top - £3.95. It is a white and 3/4 length sleeve, with some thin blue Breton style stripes and brightly coloured flowers on the top half. It is really thick cotton and it is so smart.
    A vintage leather Ted Baker belt- £2.25. It is a men's belt but fits me really nicely and it is so soft. I have been keeping my eye out for a really smart leather belt for some time so I am very pleased and was willing to pay the fairly steep price for it.

From Banardo's
    A silk white peasant style top from Jack Wills- £1.99. Sadly I got it home and it didn't fit very nicely on me, so I will sell it on depop and give the profits to the charity.
    A black men's Gucci shirt- £3.99. I actually bought this in the intention of selling on and donating the profits. I think it is authentic as all of the labels and that seem genuine after a couple of hours of scrutiny, and the authenticity code checks out. Hopefully I should be able to make them some decent money :beer:
    A silk maxi dress from People Tree in hand printed (according to the label) reds and browns- £3.99. I bought this with the intent to sell it on for the charity, but I made the mistake of trying it on. I don't know what it is about this dress as it looks like a big nightie, but I tried it on and fell in love. I can imagine it with a denim jacket with rolled up sleeves, a clutch bag and some strappy kitten heels, or I could let my fluffy blonde hair out of its perma-ponytail, throw on a shawl and channel my inner Gold Dust Woman. Why did I have to love this blimming dress haha :p

I am going on a self imposed charity shop ban now.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,714 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    From Air Ambulance yesterday:
    A TU jersey dress with cap sleeves in white with lovely big flower design - pink hollyhocks (?), jade and blue dahlias or maybe peonies (?) and orange daisies. It has inserts down the front (underarm to hip length) in blue (same colour as flowers) and white checks.
    It does sound hideous but it's slimming and very fresh looking.
    Day dress for my holiday.
    £1.00

I have a jade cardigan just the right shade and some Birkenstock sandals that are perfect.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Laredouter wrote: »
    I am going on a self imposed charity shop ban now.
    No way, now you've caught the bug there's no going back :D

I've bought quite a bit lately, including a huge porcelain biscuit barrel for £2, double clothes rail and rack for £12, and one of these BNWT for £1.50 (RRP varies, from £5 to a silly £9.95 from Amazon):

41J%2BHERy-uL._SL500_.jpg

I've also added to my book collection by another 12. Got some carckers in there :)
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Miró
    Miró Posts: 6,909 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Bit of an expensive buy, (for me!), this afternoon - a 'Star by Julien MacDonald' dress in shades of purple, turquoise and cream. Fitted stylee and lovely heavy cotton with a bit of stretch. Spent an hour or so doing a few alterations to improve the fit and let the hem down too. Bit of a faff but I'm now very pleased with it. As new and cost £8 :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure