Is this a new scam?

Options

Comments

• RumRat
    RumRat Posts: 4,794 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Got two of these just before Christmas. Sent straight to bin and senders blocked.
    Sorry but they don't even look convincing.
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
  • chrisw
    chrisw Posts: 3,435 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I've recently completed a tax return so had a load of emails from HMRC. They invariably don't give away any information but simply advise that you have a new message and suggest you log on to your account.

There are no links in the emails.
  • eamon
    eamon Posts: 2,319 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I wasn't trying to tempt other users. What interested me was the the use of the euro safe methodology and the use of https and the padlock symbol in this scam/phishing attempt. I don't recall seeing that before and no, apart from clicking the links to see where they went to I haven't been compromised.
  • grumpycrab
    grumpycrab Posts: 4,989 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    eamon wrote: »
    no, apart from clicking the links to see where they went to I haven't been compromised.
    That's alright then - good luck!
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
  • shaun_from_Africa
    Options
    eamon wrote: »
    I don't recall seeing that before and no, apart from clicking the links to see where they went to I haven't been compromised.

"haven't been compromised" should read "I hope I haven't been compromised"

You need to have a good read of this:
    https://tiptopsecurity.com/the-truth-about-clicking-links-in-email-and-what-to-do-instead/
    before you click on any more links in dodgy e-mails then when you've read that, carry out full malware and virus scans on your computer.
  • Inner_Zone
    Inner_Zone Posts: 2,853 Forumite
    Options
    Of course it' a scam. If you are due a refund the HMRC will send you warrant (cheque) in the post.
  • pappa_golf
    pappa_golf Posts: 8,895 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    telephone TXT , do they HAVE your phone number?

debit card ? why , they (if true) would need your bank account number and sort code

PS: its fake
    Save a Rachael

buy a share in crapita
  • AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    DoaM wrote: »
    Not quite ...

Yes it is ..

It is done by exchange servers mainly when using outlook OWA to obfuscate (yes, that is the correct term) the users mailbox details.
    The mailbox will be obfuscated and the remaining URL (also obfuscated) will be tagged onto the end.
    In your example, ns01 is the name of the mailserver.
    In the OP's mail, the bit after "?url=" decodes to
    http://Gateway.RefIDConfirmation10aeeec.urefnk.com/&data=02|01||9516af5965dc4962aa4d08d5534ac25a|84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa |1|0|636506502902824163&sdata=FfFyHh4qWIKnMg 9YLkAXFsaNtbwTTxKfux5WXb0WKpU=&reserved=0
    I didn't mean the whole thing was obfuscated by the sender, i was just referring to your comment in the middle of talking about this, to clear up why yours would be NS01
    Sorry for any confusion
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Farway wrote: »
    It is an old scam, HMRC never contact anyone to offer a refund

If a refund is due they will automatically adjust your PAYE code

Not quite true, on occasions, you will be sent a SA800, which allows you to log online and request a payment to be made. This isn't done by email, ever.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Can't believe people still think that there is a possibility of these scam emails being legit. Some folk just deserve to be scammed for being greedy enough to believe it's real.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure