My Over 50's Spending Diary

edited 4 January 2018 at 11:02AM in Over 50s Money Saving
487 replies 88.2K views

Replies

• lessonlearnedlessonlearned Forumite
    13.3K Posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just dropped by to see how you are doing......I turn my back and you're up to nearly £1500 already, and it's only 1 month into the year.

Wow. Amazing. Go you.

I am trying ......I managed 21 no spend on food days, cutting out all the nipping to the shops for milk and spending £20 on nothing.....

I also stuck to my no new clothes or books pledge too. My bank balance is looking much healthier......:rotfl:
  • frizz2frizz2 Forumite
    89 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    I have given myself a challenge, no buying on ebay or Amazon for a year except for presents for family and friends. This would make a difference to my outgoing. Also, this will make me use up the craft and sewing items /things that I have.
  • chaniechanie Forumite
    3.1K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    It’s great that you have made such good use out of your cinema pass. I think that there are some things worth paying for even if it isn’t very MSE. For us, it is Sky tv.
    2021 savings on purchases £2880.79
  • sugarbaby125sugarbaby125 Forumite
    2.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    chanie wrote: »
    It’s great that you have made such good use out of your cinema pass. I think that there are some things worth paying for even if it isn’t very MSE. For us, it is Sky tv.

Chanie, it is very MSE to buy any of the Cinema chains unlimited cards as cinema tickets are now so expensive. As I saved £93.51 in January alone, I know this is a very cost effective way for me to go to the cinema as often as I like. :D I love going to the cinema and this year at last I will not have to miss any films I would like to see because I cannot afford to pay normal cinema ticket prices. :D

I have never been a subscriber to Sky TV as I have never found it economical. I am with Talk Talk and I have Fibre Broadband, my landline and access to lots of TV services including Sky TV channels, plus all day free calls up to 60 minutes to landlines and mobiles.If I call back on the 60th minute then I can make longer calls for free. :D Compared to my 4 sisters who all have Sky, I pay a lot less than any of them are paying for their Sky services and this is after they have haggled with Sky. ;)

My mobile for my younger daughter and I from Talk Talk for both of us is only £7.50 a month for both mobile packages. :D
    2.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    4 X bags of tangerines from my local CO-OP on 2 for £2 offer saved me £2
    (1st Feb)

1 hopper bus journey 75p (31st Jan)

Free Metro newspaper 60p (1st Feb)

1 hopper bus journey 75p (1st Feb)

Free Evening Standard newspaper 60p (1st Feb)

East Street Market Stalls Bargains: (2nd Feb)

2 X Walkers Meaty Mix Ups 2 for £1 saved me £1 compared to buying them from Tesco with my weekly shop where they are on offer for £1 each

2 X Cadbury's Dinky Deckers 2 for £1 compared to Tesco where they are on sale for £1.50 each which saved me £2

Large punnet of seedless red grapes 50p compared to buying them from Tesco for £2 which saved me £1.50

5p Roadkill (2nd Feb)

Poundland Bargains: (2nd Feb)

6 X Epsom Salts with Lavender for £6 which saved me £5.94 compare to buying them from local Chemist for £1.99 each which is the next cheapest price locally

2 X 75g Maltesers Tubes reduced to 50p each which saved me £1

4 X Little Miss Children's Books for £4 which saved me £19.96

1 Paperback Book for myself for £1 which saved me £6.99

Current Total = £1477.97
    2.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just dropped by to see how you are doing......I turn my back and you're up to nearly £1500 already, and it's only 1 month into the year.

Wow. Amazing. Go you.

I am trying ......I managed 21 no spend on food days, cutting out all the nipping to the shops for milk and spending £20 on nothing.....

I also stuck to my no new clothes or books pledge too. My bank balance is looking much healthier......:rotfl:

Thank you LL. It is amazing how fast savings can add up if I am always trying to spend as wisely as possible. :D You have done really well with adhering to your own personal goals of not buying new clothes and books and trying to cut out unnecessary shopping in local shops when you have everything you need at home. :D
    2.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    frizz2 wrote: »
    I have given myself a challenge, no buying on ebay or Amazon for a year except for presents for family and friends. This would make a difference to my outgoing. Also, this will make me use up the craft and sewing items /things that I have.

This is a great personal goal Frizz2. At the end of the year your bank balance will be looking very healthy. :D
    2.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lift home in my friend's car from Karaoke saved me the 75p bus fare home (3rd Feb)

3 hopper bus journeys £2.25 (2nd Feb)

1 hopper bus journey 75p (3rd Feb)

Poundland Bargains: (4th Feb) :D

4 X Boxes of Cherry Tunes on BOGOF offer saved me £2

2 X Orange Smarties Tubes 130g reduced to 50p each which saved me £1

Morrisons Bargains: :D

3 X Punnet of Red Seedless Grapes reduced from £2 each to 70p each which saved me £3.90

3 X Chilled Chinese Take Away meals reduced from £2.75 each to £1.50 each which saved me £3.75

Online Boots Order: (5th Feb)

2 X No 7 Indulgent Collection on offer for £26 each which saved me £62 :T:D:j

Sanctuary Spa Super Fan Bundle £50 which saved me £71.50 :T:D:j

I also received 400 Bonus Advantage card points :D (I will add when I use them)

I also received a further £7 worth of Advantage card points on this offer :D (I will add when I use them)

I also earned £10.20 of Quidco Cashback on this order which I will add to my total once I receive payment

2 hopper bus journeys £1.50 (4th Feb)

Current Total = £1627.37
  • chaniechanie Forumite
    3.1K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Your boots haul was amazing, particularly the way you stacked the offers. Well done, sugar.
    2021 savings on purchases £2880.79
    2.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    chanie wrote: »
    Your boots haul was amazing, particularly the way you stacked the offers. Well done, sugar.

Thanks Chanie. I am really going to enjoy using the products throughout 2019 :D