PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

No bond or agent fees, weary?

Options
Hi all, myself, husband and children are looking to move away.
We have found a large home we would like to move into, however some of the carpets do need changing, i pointed this out and they replied that there would be no bond or agent fees so we could put the carpet down that we liked.

We are new to private renting and not sure if this is the norm or if its something to be weary of.

As every other house we have liked all incuur additional charges.

The house is also being advertised for sale, but have said that they would prefer to let it out.

Any advice welcome.

Many thanks

Comments

• theartfullodger
    theartfullodger Posts: 14,620 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 4 January 2018 at 11:49AM
    Options
    a) Are you sure the person you are dealing with owns the place? There are scam/crook people pretending to be landlord, taking rent - from many people - the disappearing. (And it sounds odd, albeit not illegal).

b) The landlord must provide a safe, decent home within the law. Worn carpets may be OK, those with holes etc making tripping more likely probably not. How/why do they "need changing"?

Nothing to stop you or any other tenant in any other tenancy putting carpets or rugs down. Nailing them down, using gripper-rods probably you should get written agreement from landlord. When you leave you just have to leave it as it was, less fair-wear-and-tear so take carpets/rugs with you.

If he's providing dodgy carpets what else has he "forgotten"? Gas safety, safe electrics, declaring rent to tax-man, landlord insurance (important if place burns down, kids maimed - sorry but this is serious - then no/wrong-sort insurance so no payout so no home, big problem). On no permission to let/wrong sort of mortgage in which case building society/bank may repossess.

I'd be weary of such an offer: And also wary of it, perhaps what you meant. Certainly wary of such a landlord (I'm a landlord).

If you have a tenancy the fact that the place is sold doesn't end your tenancy nor require you to leave (even if new owner is outside with huge removal van, 3 bonkers kids & a screaming deranged hubbie). But new owner may evict you at end of fixed term using Thatcher's "no reason at all required" section 21.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Options
    Jm90 wrote: »
    Hi all, myself, husband and children are looking to move away.
    We have found a large home we would like to move into, however some of the carpets do need changing, i pointed this out and they replied that there would be no bond or agent fees so we could put the carpet down that we liked.

We are new to private renting and not sure if this is the norm or if its something to be weary of.

As every other house we have liked all incuur additional charges.

The house is also being advertised for sale, but have said that they would prefer to let it out.

Any advice welcome.

Many thanks

Nothing to be weary of on it's own. Just that you will probably need to leave the carpet you put down.

If it's for sale, you need to either get a longer fixed term or accept you may need to move out after the first 6-12 months
  • P2P_Expert
    Options
    I would avoid this property. There's nothing to stop them giving you notice after your six month tenancy period is up if they do get an offer to buy the house. Just think of all the moving costs you might then incur to move again. Also consider the hassle of people coming to view your home while the house is advertised for sale.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Options
    P2P_Expert wrote: »
    I would avoid this property. There's nothing to stop them giving you notice after your six month tenancy period is up if they do get an offer to buy the house. Just think of all the moving costs you might then incur to move again. Also consider the hassle of people coming to view your home while the house is advertised for sale.
    Eviction takes avg 40 weeks, and just say no to viewings. I agree with you, but wanted to elaborate on the OPs rights
  • Jm90
    Jm90 Posts: 117 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks all for the reply. I would have left the carpets down anyway when leaving and i would have definitely made sure this was a long tenancy.
    The house is on for sale with a different company altogether. He sent me their link as more pictures on their page.
    Most of our conversation has been quite short i. Responses to me which i find strange.

Like i say I'm new to it all and ive asked to view this sat. I just thought if it was a scam, would ve not be asking for money, not knocking it off.
    I have searched him up online and says hes a estate agent.

Im so desperate to get from here i thought i best ask as something just doesn't feel right.

The carpets just looks grubby to be honest, no noticeable holes that i can see
  • Out,_Vile_Jelly
    Options
    Have you asked for a draft copy of the tenancy agreement, to include clarification of check-in/out procedure in the absence of a deposit? No fees/deposit is the landlord's decision, but it doesn't mean there should be no formal paperwork at all. Is the property significantly cheaper than similar sized ones in the area? Don't make a hasty decision.

You can always hire a steam cleaner for an afternoon to freshen up grubby carpets; I wouldn't waste your own money on a new one.
    They are an EYESORES!!!!
  • Jm90
    Options
    Thank you all for replying

The property is on zoopla, can anyone just list on there?

I've just emailed asking for a draft copy of the tenancy agreement, and as im not sure if he's the actual landlord or the agent ive asked him.

If i put his name in on google the estate company he works for comes up.

He just seems very short in responces and unlike anyone else ive dealt with when enquiring about a property

Just not sure why it is listed elsewhere for sale though.

Thanks
  • Jm90
    Options
    Around the £450 mark for a 4 bed house

£750 for this one. Its 7bedroom.
  • Jm90
    Options
    Its via an agents based in sheffield.
  • Jm90
    Options
    Sorry it keeps updating the thread before I'm finished typing, as i said its an agents based in sheffield. They have other property's on their also. Around 10
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure