We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

The ups and downs and ins and outs of growing your own, 2018

Options

Comments

• zafiro1984
    zafiro1984 Posts: 2,447 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Had a good day on the plot but I didn't do what I had planned.
    No watering I'm afraid but there is rain in the air so things may get watered in overnight
    Managed to get one set of new potatoes - I think they are 'swift' - dug out of the raised beds, they should last us a couple of months. That leaves one more set to go. Also harvested a few baby turnips and some mangetout - they'll be eaten with tea.

I didn't plant the last of the main crop potatoes as planned, but I managed to plant a 12 x 5ft bed of sweetcorn, so I'm pleased.

I also managed to find space in the tunnel for 3 cucs, and a squash, plus 3 melons so all in all a good day.
  • stoozie1
    stoozie1 Posts: 656 Forumite
    Options
    Just been catching up on quite a few pages.

I've lots to learn from this thread :)

Nemaslug: has anyone else found that this doesn't totally decimate the slug population? I wonder if I did it at the wrong time of day, and dusk might have been better.

Do people think I am too late to put in some runner bean 'Enorma' seeds? We are a hungry family of 6, so I wondered about sowing 18, then reducing to half when I see which look best? I was planning to do three up 3 wigwams. Does this sound like a good amount for yield?
    Save 12 k in 2018 challenge member #79
    Target 2018: 24k Jan 2018- £560 April £2670
  • CAFCGirl
    CAFCGirl Posts: 9,122 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    So debating I might have to give up the allotment
    Manifesting Abundance in 2023
    Fashion On The Ration 2023 36/66
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    We have raised beds in the garden, we grow what we like to eat. Gave up growing brassicas, despite having netting on the butterflies still got in and decimated the crop. I have to restrain OH from growing more than we can eat. I do freeze some stuff, but end up giving away quite a bit.

I was wondering about using nemaslug in my herbaceous border, I am fed up with the slugs eating my hostas etc, they look lovely for about 2 days and then the slugs get at them. The ground is very dry just now. OH watered last night but it does not soften the soil at all. I have plants waiting to go in, cannot get a spade in. I have started part filling planting holes with compost and breaking up the clay and putting it round the top of the plant, then giving it a can of water. I have lost several lupins to greenfly, despite spraying. I may have to resort to the soapy water again. I have cut the flower spikes off in the hope that I will get a second flush of flowers.
  • zafiro1984
    Options
    CAFGirl:- I gather this must be about your border dispute. I'd get onto the council again and have a serious moan, try to ring and talk to them rather than an email.

Nemaslug I've found always works pretty well particularly with the underground slugs which used to decimate the potatoes.

Stoozie1:- I'd still give Runner Beans a go - what have you got to lose except space. I'd also plant all 18 of them if they all germinate. I find they freeze better than the French Beans which always seem to be a bit watery when they defrost.

Must go and have a look at the blackcurrants as DH said they were starting to colour up. I've 50 bushes (got carried away one year doing propagation!!!)

This PM I'll be outside as the tunnels will be too hot, hopefully finish off planting the main potatoes if my knee stands up to the strain - x-ray Wednesday.
  • unrecordings
    unrecordings Posts: 2,017 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    edited 18 June 2018 at 8:04PM
    Options
    Enorma are my favourite variety, and freeze well. My packet says you can sow them outside into July, so go for it - I'd go for all 18 too. I planted my beans outside at the weekend. I've two left and I'm tempted to plant them in a chimney pot partially filled with rubble/stones/bricks with the canes fanning out. Might work, might look silly...

I use nemaslug too, but it only works on small/young slugs - it probably just gives the massive one a mild tummy ache. I tend to use wood ash around various plants that are at risk. With beans that I've transplanted I tend to cut back the lowest leaves that are touching the ground, and loop 'at risk' leaves up between the stalk & pole to get them away from the ground. Then a generous sprinkle of ash around the base of the stalk & pole, and a little on the lowest leaves & stalk for good measure.

Edited to add:
    Forgot that I harvested Griselle shallots this weekend. Not a fan, they seem to have withered a couple of weeks early and most of them have white rot (or blight). Longor shallots look just fine though. And I've a pea problem. Where to put them ?
    Anyone tried growing peas in pots or containers ?

Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
  • smeeinnit
    smeeinnit Posts: 263 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 18 June 2018 at 11:06PM
    Options
    Enorma are my favourite variety, and freeze well. My packet says you can sow them outside into July, so go for it - I'd go for all 18 too. I planted my beans outside at the weekend. I've two left and I'm tempted to plant them in a chimney pot partially filled with rubble/stones/bricks with the canes fanning out. Might work, might look silly...

I use nemaslug too, but it only works on small/young slugs - it probably just gives the massive one a mild tummy ache. I tend to use wood ash around various plants that are at risk. With beans that I've transplanted I tend to cut back the lowest leaves that are touching the ground, and loop 'at risk' leaves up between the stalk & pole to get them away from the ground. Then a generous sprinkle of ash around the base of the stalk & pole, and a little on the lowest leaves & stalk for good measure.

Edited to add:
    Forgot that I harvested Griselle shallots this weekend. Not a fan, they seem to have withered a couple of weeks early and most of them have white rot (or blight). Longor shallots look just fine though. And I've a pea problem. Where to put them ?
    Anyone tried growing peas in pots or containers ?

I'd give peas a go in containers, as long as they have some support, they'll be fine. I have some in a long and thin raised bed and made a support from bamboo canes and a piece of old wire fence, works a treat :)

Oh and the nemaslug seems to have got rid of just about all slugs and snails, not a nibble on anything on the raised beds now. Everything has grown massively in the last 2 weeks also. Greenhouse going up on Sunday, last 2 raised beds can go in, I might just bung potatoes in at least one of them. Finally feel like the end is in sight.
    Let's get ready to bumble! :rotfl:
  • tootallulah
    tootallulah Posts: 2,197 Forumite
    Options
    MY first tomato fruit has set, and today I picked the first raspberries and the first redcurrants. My neighbour gave me a bowl of strawberries - happy days!
  • zafiro1984
    Options
    MY first tomato fruit has set, and today I picked the first raspberries and the first redcurrants. My neighbour gave me a bowl of strawberries - happy days!

happy days :):)

My tomatoes are not even in flower but I did pick 2 raspberries, needless to say they didn't reach the kitchen.
  • unrecordings
    unrecordings Posts: 2,017 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    A small patch of woodland strawberries has popped up this year. I've been watching a few ripen - today was the day. Of course they disappeared overnight. Polestar runner beans are just about to flower, and my tomatoes are going great - a couple are just starting to darken from their initial lime green. I planted half my peas in a spot I wasn't too sure about as it was overshadowed by ferns and an overgrown rosemary - so the ferns came out and I cut the rosemary back drastically. I'm going to have about a kilo of dried rosemary by the end of the week

Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 6 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport