High Energy Bills

Options

Comments

• Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,116 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    OP Could you get a letter of authority from the account holder (I presume your father) authorising you to talk to SP on their behalf ? Then you can talk to SP direct.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    OP, please tell us the name of the tariff and the kWh split between the meters; all this info is on the bills and on the online account.
    I suspect this is one of the Scottish Power E10 equivalent tariffs, which is bad news if you want to switch.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • Former_MSE_Stephen_B
    Options
    Hi Gillian, thank you for posting. As everyone else has already said, this definitely seems too high, even with the large annual consumption you have provided. Can I ask whether this annual figure is from estimated figures from the Scottish Power bills received or actually taken from the meters? Also, are you able to provide the tariff name that your in-laws are currently on? Many thanks, Steve
  • Robin9
    Options
    Gillian - who has been reading the meters ? They can be easy to misread - it has been known that the figures after the decimal point / or marked in read are ignored . Or perhaps say 2198 should be entered with the leading zero's as 002198
  • Gillian_Bendall
    Options
    They sent a rep out from Scottish Power to have a look so I am assuming they have now been read properly. I don't know what sort of contract they were on as it looks like they have just been changed.
    Very complicated situation as my in laws keep calling them and they don't seem to remember what's been said or what they have done.
  • Robin9
    Options
    As per my post 11 you need to be able to talk to SP themselves.
  • Former_MSE_Stephen_B
    Options
    Hi Gillian, as Robin9 has mentioned, getting third party access or similar so you can talk with Scottish Power directly may be useful. You could try emailing social@scottishpower.com or collating the contact via the resolver tool (http://www.resolver.co.uk) which provides templates and should help keep track of what has been said. Also, its well worth checking to see if they can switch to a cheaper tariff, even if they want to stay with Scottish Power. You can see a full market comparison if you use our Cheap Energy Club (https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/cheapenergyclub.) Please keep us posted, Steve.
  • Scottish_Power
    Scottish_Power Posts: 1,263 Organisation Representative
    Options
    Hi Gillian,

I am sorry to hear of the distress that is being caused.
    So that we can get this investigated, are you possibly able to email me at [EMAIL="social@scottishpower.com"]social@scottishpower.com[/EMAIL] with the address details and account number if this is available?

Kind regards
    Faye
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Scottish Power. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • House_Martin
    House_Martin Posts: 1,462 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, my in-laws (pensioners) living alone are paying nearly 8000 GBP a year for their electricity. It is the only source of energy going into the house but seems outrageously high to me. I'm living in France so have nothing to compare it to.
    Scottish Power came out to look and the representative said that it looked like they had the meters mixed up but nothing happened after the visit. They are on direct debit but when I look at the bill and payment information on their Scottish Power account they are not consistent with the amount they are billing and taking out of their account.
    My in-laws are in their mid 80's and this is becoming very stressful for them. Any advice?
    They have already paid over 4500GBP and there is now a demand for over 3000GBP for 2017.
    By "meters " Scottish Power " ( that will be a visit from a meter reader from MDS who probably has nt any idea himself ) will mean that the day/night meter readings will have been transposed.
    That is very common with meter readers from MDS who do Scot Power reads.
    If they are Economy 7 then the night rate , which they will be using the most , gets billed at the expensive day rate.
    Eco 7 users get very large bills when this happens but so long as Scottish Power use the muppets at MDS to read the meters this will happen all the time.
    I d like to add that I work for them and nothing has ever been mentioned in training to get the day and night correct when they read the meter.
  • NineDeuce
    NineDeuce Posts: 997 Forumite
    Options
    You have schools that will pay around £8,000 per year in energy bills.

And you do have a source to compare it to. Your own. Energy is a bit cheaper than the costs in France and I assume that they are spending more than you....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure