Buying my first car

Options

Comments

• tonys_3
    tonys_3 Posts: 332 Forumite
    Options
    Like many others,I have always advocated buying as opposed to leasing etc.
    However after looking at https://www.simplycontracthire.co.uk ,you could have a brand new
    Nissan Micra including road fund licences, tyres and servicing for 3 years for just
    under £500 initial deposit and £170 a month-assuming an annual mileage of 10,000
    miles.You therefore keep most of your £4000 intact,earning interest and never have to worry if the car you have develops major faults.The total cost over the 3 years would
    be around £5300.You have no worries about selling the car at the end of the time,or
    trying to negotiate a part exchange with some snake oil salesman,when buying your next car.

Granted you never own the car but if you work out the cost of buying and running one,why would you want to?And you tie your money up in a depreciating asset.

If you work out the cost of a second hand car at £4000,take into account 3 years
    servicing,repairs, MOT,tyres and punctures as well as depreciation and possible
    ripoff charges by garages who reckon they can fleece inexperienced women,and that
    contract hire price doesn't look too shabby.Especially as you will have a brand new car.

Not sure if they would hire you a second hand car instead,but one can always ask.
  • ArsenalFC
    ArsenalFC Posts: 1,095 Forumite
    Options
    A quick search on autotrader found 2 yaris automatic 1.0 at dealers for £3500, £3700 within 14&40 miles from london. A micra is a very good car if on a budget, but if you are planning to spend your original budget then you certainly can get the yaris 1999-2000.

Forget auctions. I know a little about cars, even I would not attempt auctions as i dont think i know enough.
  • itgirlinuk
    itgirlinuk Posts: 465 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I dont have a car now, so dont know any mechanics. None of my friends even remotely work with a car. So cant trust my local one, just bcos he is local :(

I will look for these Yaris on autotrader. I do like a Yaris and I thought it was priced out of my budget.

What about the leasing option? Lot of people are against it, but tonys does make a fair point. I am desparate for a car, and ready to look at all options. Am I running around in all directions like a headless chicken?? Its feel as if I am ;)
    The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket. :rolleyes:
  • itgirlinuk
    Options
    Just an update:

I looked at the Yaris on autotrader and they are all manual. There are 2 within my price range, but they are located atleast 140miles away - one in bradford and the other in Belfast!!!

And I looked at the leasing option and the sample prices are for a manual car. No automatic prices. I will call them and see what they say.

Still very very confused! I wish there was an easy way out.
    The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket. :rolleyes:
  • burbs_2
    burbs_2 Posts: 1,174 Forumite
    Options
    Just calm down, you have managed without a car and surely you can manage a little while longer whilst you look for the right one. There is no point getting a car and then realising you did the wrong thing as you will not get the same amount for the car when you resell the car quickly.

As said before do not lease if you have the funds avaliable to buy the car that you think you want - what is the point? This just means you do not have the hassle of finding one yourself but it also means you never own the car and at the end of the contract and all that money has been spent you are back to stage 1.

If you know what you are looking for (write down a couple of ideal cars for you) Take them into a lcal car dealer (smaller second hand dealers the better) and ask them if they can find you one in your budget. They will not force you to buy but they will be able to look around for you and get back to you. Then when they find one you can view and if its all go then buy it. This happens a lot at my garage and many people are very happy and buy the cars, others cannot find what it is they are looking for but do this
  • ArsenalFC
    ArsenalFC Posts: 1,095 Forumite
    Options
    As burbs said, take your time. There are plenty of manual yaris in your price range if you decide to take up that option. I seen plenty of them on autotrader from as little as £2300, isn't you budget is £4000?

Do you have problem searching on autotrader or something? I have found 7 yaris from private sellers and 34 from dealers within 60 miles from london, upto £4000. You have the money, buy the car, rule out leasing.

Burbs also suggest asking a local dealer to find one for you, look into that option. Don't panic.
  • itgirlinuk
    Options
    I need an automatic and not a manual. And there are many automatic Yaris on autotrader in my price range.

I suppose I could wait, but I do want this done as soon as possible. Will make my life much easier (or so I think!) :)
  • tonys_3
    tonys_3 Posts: 332 Forumite
    Options
    In a perfect world second hand cars would be well maintained,free from
    problems and with a genuine mileage,sold at a fair price.In addition there
    would be a gradual depreciation,no conmen and no part would need
    replacement between services.And you would also get a good trade in price for your old car from the salesman.It would be easy to find your replacement car with all the extras you wanted eg automatic,air conditioning without
    having to scour the country.

However we do not live there.And for someone new to buying a car with no
    knowledgeable friend to accompany her,the potential to buy a pig in a poke
    is quite high.As is the chance of being ripped off by garages for doing unnecessary work or being charged for work that was not done.

For all the above reasons,there is a case therefore for leasing a car.

If the bottom drops out of the secondhand market,it is not a problem-you
    have a contract.If the garage over charges,the leasing company pays.If
    the car is an absolute dog,constantly breaking down,it might be annoying but
    the leasing company stands for it.

Yes it does work out more expensive than buying a car but only if every thing
    goes ok and you know the right price to pay for the car and the repairs and
    servicing.And nothing major goes wrong.

In addition the most money you ever have tied up in the car is three months
    rent,leaving your money in the bank/building society earning interest,not
    depreciating.

It is possible to buy a brand new car for much less money down than if you
    were financing a three year old one [I know you don't need finance itgirlinuk].
    And most leasing companies would be happy to lease one of their preowned
    cars for less than the cost of a new one.

Most of the advice you are getting is from guys who are forgetting what a
    huge learning curve there is,and how costly cars can be when things go wrong.One of the advantages in leasing,is that all your costs are known in advance,and that the leasing company does all the work for you including
    membership of the RAC or AA and paying for the road fund licence and MOT
    certificates when they fall due.The only thing you have to do is inform them
    when servicing is due if you selected the maintenance option.

Perhaps there is someone out there who has leased a car for their views?
  • Ted_Hutchinson
    Ted_Hutchinson Posts: 7,142 Forumite
    Options
    itgirlinuk wrote:
    I need an automatic and not a manual. And there are many automatic Yaris on autotrader in my price range.

I suppose I could wait, but I do want this done as soon as possible. Will make my life much easier (or so I think!) :)

Nice one for sale in the Motability Auction in Nottingham tomorrow.
    British Car Auctions Nottingham
    My weight loss following Doktor Dahlqvist' Dietary Program
    Start 23rd Jan 2008 14st 9lbs Current 10st 12lbs
  • vansboy
    vansboy Posts: 6,483 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Ted - which vehicle did you refer to in the sale, tomorrow?

I didn't see anything which would suit Itgirls selection/budget.

VB
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport