PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

uk map with house numbers

Options
Happy new year!

I am hoping someone on here can help.

I used to have a link to a search function for a map (I remember it was yellow and blue?) but have lost the link.

I want to be able to view properties on a uk map which outline the building and give its house number. The closest I could find is openstreetmap.org/ but its a collaborative initiative so it doesnt have all the buildings and their house numbers.

Help much appreciated!!

Comments

• ACG
    ACG Posts: 23,744 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    If you go on to google maps you can do street view and zoom in. Some of the houses have numbers outside that you can zoom in and see?
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • theartfullodger
    Options
    And google maps sometimes tells you what number you are at (not always 100% accurate). Not bad for a free service that spied on you.
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    nudda wrote: »
    I want to be able to view properties on a uk map which outline the building and give its house number. The closest I could find is openstreetmap.org/ but its a collaborative initiative so it doesnt have all the buildings and their house numbers.

The only comprehensive house numbering/naming I know of is on the OS 1:2500 and 1:1250 scale mapping. This isn't generally available foc online, but many local councils have it as a layer on their online GIS systems or planning application search facility. You won't be able to use this to get the whole country from one site, but if you are only looking in one area it normally works well.

Otherwise, as ACG says it is a case of using streetview and some detective work. Look out for wheelie bins as these are often the best source of house numbers. The ones on the houses are often too small, obscured or missing.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    None free and with general applicability I'm aware of, but local council planning sites often have property address search options which will show the boundaries.
  • cjmillsnun
    cjmillsnun Posts: 615 Forumite
    Options
    EachPenny wrote: »
    The only comprehensive house numbering/naming I know of is on the OS 1:2500 and 1:1250 scale mapping. This isn't generally available foc online, but many local councils have it as a layer on their online GIS systems or planning application search facility. You won't be able to use this to get the whole country from one site, but if you are only looking in one area it normally works well.

Otherwise, as ACG says it is a case of using streetview and some detective work. Look out for wheelie bins as these are often the best source of house numbers. The ones on the houses are often too small, obscured or missing.

Agreed it is only OS MasterMap that does this. This is definitely not a free product. You’re stuck with using local authority websites.
    2.88 kWp System, SE Facing, 30 Degree Pitch, 12 x 240W Conergy Panels, Samil Solar River Inverter, Havant, Hampshire. Installed July 2012, acquired by me on purchase of house in August 2017
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure