Long Haul Destination Ideas

Options

Comments

• Moneygrabber89
    Options
    Considering going from hoi an to Cambodia instead of southern Vietnam as flight time only 1hr
  • Doshwaster
    Doshwaster Posts: 6,141 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Considering going from hoi an to Cambodia instead of southern Vietnam as flight time only 1hr

Remember to consider the cost of Cambodian visas which was US$30 the last time I checked. Vietnam is visa free for stays up to 15 nights.

Vietnam is a fantastic place to go right now. It's getting more popular every year but is still very affordable - you can get some great quality accommodation for £15-20 a night - and hasn't been ruined by mass tourism that some parts of Thailand suffered from.

The only challenge with Vietnam is that is can be a slow country to move around - internal flights are cheap but they are regularly delayed or cancelled so you need to be flexible with your plans. If you have two weeks then I would concentrate on the north or south of the country then go back to do the other half another time.
  • PompeyPete
    PompeyPete Posts: 7,126 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Dosh.....The Vietnam visa exemption for British passport holders is 15 days or less, arrival and departure dates count count against the 15.
  • Deltapapaoscar
    Options
    I spent 3 weeks in Vietnam in March and it was a fantastic place. Ended up spending 5 days in both Hoi An and HCMC and they both offered different things.

Whilst Hoi An was nice for three nights, due to its size, I was rather bored by the end of day 5 and was itching to leave. Its the same thing every night.

What are you wanting from a place? And are you tied to one or the other? HCMC is huge, Westernised in places and more expensive than anywhere else in Vietnam I found but had a greater range of things to do.
  • PompeyPete
    Options
    The OP only has 2 weeks in total, so 4 nights in Hoi An would be plenty. On our trip we had pushbikes, got around a bit, and stayed a week.

Can't think why he wants to be wandering off to Cambodia with only the short time he's got.....Less = More.
  • Moneygrabber89
    Options
    So if you were going for 2 weeks what time would you spend in Hanoi and hoi an?

It sounds like more to do in Hanoi.

Your help is appreciated guys
  • slinga
    slinga Posts: 1,485 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I've said my bit on Vietnam on here before. Both HCMC and Hanoi.
    I'm a lone voice.:o
    It's your money. Except if it's the governments.
  • PompeyPete
    Options
    See #3 for day and overnight trips from Hanoi, 4nights in Hoi An. They can easily be arranged after you've arrived.

Does that 2 weeks mean 14 nights in Vietnam, or does it include travel to and from UK?
  • Moneygrabber89
    Options
    Including travel
  • PompeyPete
    Options
    Including travel

In that case I reckon Hanoi including day and/or overnight [eg. Halong Bay] trips, plus Hoi An would be enough. Halong Bay involves 2 full days if you did it as it's a long drive each way.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure