PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Do you use cash or debit cards?

Just had a discussion with my friend and she rarely uses cash for anything. She finds it easier to use her debit card and just have a bit of cash when its needed. I am tempted to try her system because this is how mine works and I'm now a bit unsure.

I do my budget on Excel as best I can and then every month when I get paid I transfer so much money into an account to pay my direct debits, then some into another account for Christmas, some into another account for home expenditure, another for holidays (all on line accounts).

I then work out how much spending money I think I will need per week which is usually about £150 but I don't spend that much (apart from at Christmas and times like that). I then put all that money in a purse in my sideboard drawer at home. I take money out of that purse as needed to put in my handbag purse - sometimes I forget and then end up using my debit card anyway. At the end of the month, whatever is left in the purse in the drawer, goes into an envelope for my savings account for the future (one I try not to touch, its an ISA). Once I have accumulated so much money I then take it to the bank.

I am now wondering if its wise to have so much cash at home. I use to think that cash was easier to spend to see where it goes but my friend finds it easier to track debit card spends online.

I am also wondering if I need so many accounts online (with the same bank). How do you work it? Do you have a separate account for direct debits to go out of at least or do they all go out of one account?

Comments

• McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,819 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    We have one joint current account and a joint saving account. We use 95% debit card for spending, shopping, petrol etc. Dds comeout of the same account. Any thing left just before our pensions goes in gets transferred to joint savings account.
    Everything is listed then on your statement, mich easier for you to transfer to your spreadsheet.

We dont bother with a budget. As long as there is some left to save then we have enough x
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • 166million
    166million Posts: 1,233 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    I use a cashback credit card for most spending just pay it off in full every month
    **Debt Free as of 15:55 on Friday 23rd March 2012**And I am staying that way
    377 166million Sealed Pot Challenge 2018 :staradmin No. 90: Emergency fund £637
    My debt free diary http://http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3630099
  • I use a c/card for stuff like fuel etc but cash only for food I pay it off asap before the end of the month :)
  • Cash burns a hole in my pocket, it always has, so I mostly use my debit card and keep some coins for times when only cash will do.
  • Linda32
    Linda32 Posts: 4,385 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I use cashback credit cards when I can. I use cash for very small purchases, hairdresser and chiropodist.

Whole balance direct debit payment set up for the credit cards.
  • tori.k
    tori.k Posts: 3,592 Forumite
    I use card over cash, but I stick to a set monthly budget, I stopped using cash when we were overpaying our debts as it made the kids & DH take lunches to college/work or budget there own cash better as it soon became pointless asking to borrow money off mum :)
  • JIL
    JIL Posts: 8,687 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I mostly use my credit card. However it is always paid off in full at the beginning of every month. This covers food, petrol, hairdressers, car repairs, vet bills, clothes, work expenses, holidays. Anything really.

I usually have some cash in my purse, I think I have £38 and that has been in there since a week before Christmas.

I don't seem to spend money during the week, so the cash is for office collections and things that come up.
    Very rarely I do use my debit card. This wouldn't work for everyone but it works for us, it's then easy to see how much we spent on different things.
  • I do almost all my spending on my debit cards, it makes it easier to keep track of the amounts when I put them into excel. Using a spreadsheet makes it easy to keep multiple piggy-banks in one account with good interest. Over the last few years I have learned to ignore the "available balance" of the whole account and work instead from the amounts I know are in each category. Cash on the other hand has a tendency to escape unchecked more easily so needs more careful management!
    ***Mortgage Free Oct 2018 - Debt Free again (after detour) June 2022***
    Never underestimate the power of a beautiful spreadsheet
  • All cash for me. Take money from atm every two weeks and then know exactly how much I have.
  • CRANKY40
    CRANKY40 Posts: 5,756 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    If you have money left over at the end of the week just draw out less the next week and arrange a transfer of the extra amount straight to your savings account via your bank.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure