2018 New year, new focus and new mission

Options

Comments

• Choccygirl123
    Options
    I’ve been getting a little side tracked as stillfeeling under the weather.

I am making progress but feel like nothing happening quick enough! I know it’s frustrating waiting for pay day, but I’m
    Starting to think about getting a debt free day planned. The first quarter of the year is about good money habits and staying out the od! Well after a new tyre we’re just sat in it now, but we had to fill up my car on Saturday so that’s still to come out. Chatting with hubby don’t feel like I’ve done much, but the little bits are the foundations we’lre building.

Positives notes so far this month
    - I have swapped all our dds so they all come out by the 3rd every month
    - cancelled £4.34 lottery did
    - cancelled a £10.58 on appliance plan
    - reduce out ‘pocket money’ for 3months from next pay day saving £120
    -Limited kids to £50 dinner money a term instead of £50+ a month.
    -chased pot hole damage and should pay out this week
    -chased curry’s for horrendous customer service £30 good will refund on its way
    -rang sky for 96p credit owed on old account
    -joined clear view To see free scores
    - reduced my credit limit on next from 5k to £750
    - reduced two unused od’s from £1500 / £800 so both only £500
    -made £96 approx on selling on eBay & Facebook need to finalise profit after posting
    -no takeaways or foodout since 28th dec
    -meal planning and using store/freezer supplies up
    -having as many nsd as possible
    -thinking do we really want or need something before buying

This week I need to get off my bum
    And do my tax return! Have promised myself if I get a rebate (which I should) I’m going to buy myself a mop abd bucket as my steam moped driving me mad! Doesn’t seem like a treat,but it’ll make my life with the dog a lot easier.

Tax return won’t take long....it’s just sorting the two boxes of paperwork that’ll take the time! I need to make a start this morning and do a little filing/shredding at a time over next few days.
    Finally Debt Free 24/4/2023 
  • Choccygirl123
    Options
    Total sales profit for the month is £97.10! I'm chuffed to bits, but know i've still got stacks of stuff to sell. I've spent my morning sorting out the spare room and have a heap of stuff on my bed to list. I think i can easily make an extra £100 if i sell all the stuff. It's hard going but know this month we'd be £97.10 further into our overdraft if i hadn't sold a thing.
  • Choccygirl123
    Options
    Wow I’ve really fallen off the posting daily wagon. I have been fully mse, apart from updating my ramblings here.

Have been busy so here’s a quick update:
    Have been paid
    Recived a lovely tax refund £926
    Had to replace 2 tyres on car £220
    Have got another part time job starting next week which should boost our income by £75 a week.
    eBay sale of approx £12 profit

Things to do:
    Reclaim overpayment on stamp duty 2 years ago
    Update all this months accounts
    Move £50 into each of the EF and Xmas fund
    Post eBay sale

I feel like a weight has been lifted and hoping the temp job last at least a few weeks. It’ll help us get back on track and my plan is to save every penny towards the 2k pot.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Congrats on the tax refund - that's fantastic - and having seen your lists of what you achieved, I think you should take 5 mindful minutes and just congratulate yourself!! If this is you not doing too much - I'm scared to see what you'll be up to when you are fully on it! Puts me to shame.

Good luck with your savings xxx
  • Choccygirl123
    Options
    Thank you for your kind words rambkehan. I love lists, but never see them as a positive. It!!!8217;s more of reminder we!!!8217;ve been stupid.

I guess I!!!8217;m super critical of ourselves for getting into this state and frustrated it!!!8217;s so slow going. Hubby earns a decent wage but we manage to blow it all! I earn peanuts really, but my job pays for the kids trips and things. I!!!8217;ve set first part of this year just to get focussed and create good money habits.

I love reading the dairies here and take great motivation from them, but they do make me realise I!!!8217;m playing at moneysaving. Our debt has built up from
    Buying housey things and the car. I kick myself for not being more controlled abd saving. Hey-ho too late now, but This diary is my turning point.

I!!!8217;ve moved £50 into my Christmas 18 account abd £75.38 into our EF. The tax rebate is sat in my account untouched. I!!!8217;m hoping every penny can be added to the saving pot as we currently have 0/£2200.

I crave for a debt free life, one with a safety buffer emgerdabcy
  • Choccygirl123
    Options
    Just sat watching the rugby and thought I need to update my targets for the first quarter that I set just before new year, so I’m tracking our progress.

Emergency fund £126.02 saved/ £400 target
    Christmas saving £100 saved / target £50 a month - on target
    Paying off kids school trips £155 paid / £584 Target
    House repair savings £0 saved / £2200

I do have my tax refund squirrelled away and am hoping to save £800 into house pot. I have budgeted every penny included two pairs of new school shoes and trainers for youngest. It’s also her birthday and we’ve got half term to survive. I’ve got a ‘spare’ £126 from
    The tax refund but like the idea of s littke buffer just in case.

Slow going progress wise as had a pothole wreck a tyre £95 and then a in-fixable puncture. The other rear tyre needed replacing and was advisory on mot, so got the matching pair £220. Three tyres in less than two weeks is gutting. The positive thing is that it’s made me realise we need the emergency fund because things do happen!

The freezer is full once again and tomorrow I’ll just need fresh bits and bobs for the coming week. Hubby working away 4nigtz so just the kids and I, which will save the shopping bill.
  • Storm89
    Storm89 Posts: 592 Forumite
    Options
    That's annoying about the tyres but agree it's why it's so important to have the emergency fund. I'm hoping against hope that I manage to hold on to a lot of my savings for debt repayments later in the year but I forget how things can crop up. The savings look like they're going really well especially with replacing the tyres :)
  • Choccygirl123
    Options
    You!!!8217;re right storm, something always pops up!

The good news is that all my bills and direct debits have paid, I!!!8217;ve squirrelled £750 into the house savings. I!!!8217;m not going to lie, our joint account balance isn!!!8217;t great, but it could be worse. Hubby took £100 to cover his expenses whilst away with work. The kids and I have nothing planned this week and will eating from the store cupboard and freezer. Feb is going to be a quiet month thankfully and I!!!8217;ll be trying to have as many nsd as possible.

I start my second job this week, so hopefully will be paid at the end of month. I!!!8217;m not sure how the extra hours will impact the housework, money watching and meal planning but I need to do something. I!!!8217;ll need to be more organised and get into a tountine. I!!!8217;m aiming to keep overdraft use to a minimum.
  • Choccygirl123
    Options
    Arrrrghhhh the 8217 thing is driving me mad. It!!!8217;s from the use of apostrophes....perhaps I just need to stop using them
  • Choccygirl123
    Options
    Talked dd1 into coming to Aldi to help me the dreaded food shop. Spent a whopping £42 but should be sorted until at least Sunday.

I did have an eBay sale yesterday if our old kitchen handles for £39 - the profit will go into joint account up try and keep that afloat. The only problem is I do not know where hubby has put them. Not working until tomorrow after do will dig through garage junk and hopefully find them.

Nothing else to update on the money saving front apart from Hubby took £100 our joint to cover food etc whilst he is working away and then paid for a Burger King on the joint account. Grrrr we will be having words.

The budget is really tight this month but we!!!8217;re sticking to it. I am hoping this will be our last month creeping into the overdraft - I can not wait! I hate seeing my wages hit the account abd clearing what is o/s that month. My target was to not to touch it from jan, but with some big unexpected bills there has been no choice.

I am going to try and claim my over paid stamp duty from when we purchased our house - long story but incentives should be deducted from price and stamp pay on lower amount. By my maths I work it out to be around £700 refund. It can takes months but I am happy to wait if they do refund it.

Currently laid in the bath in agony with my back. It has been grumbling away fir weeks now and I need to see someone, it is all extra expense. I am all for money saving but need to be able to walk after driving.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport