Natwest Joint account

Natwest joint bank account 1 person passes away and other person visits bank with 1 Death certificate 2 the deceased will saying all assets go to other person 3 some ID 4 copy of paid funeral bill.

But how long does a " completed a review of any joint facilities " take, maybe they will freeze the account but for how long, anyone else had a similar problem

Natwest says

What we'll do for you

If the deceased had a joint account, we’ll transfer it to the name of the other person once we’ve seen the death certificate and completed a review of any joint facilities.

https://personal.natwest.com/personal/life-moments/bereavement/bereavement-service.html
Let them eat cake (Marie Antoinette 1765)

Comments

• Crabapple
    Crabapple Posts: 1,573 Forumite
    Bank account should be pretty much immediate -new cheque books in sole name issued in a week or two (dealt with NatWest last month and this was the timescale).

I would think the review of joint facilities would apply more to lending so if there is an overdraft or credit card in joint names they may not continue to offer that depending on survivors circumstances.
    :heartpuls Daughter born January 2012 :heartpuls Son born February 2014 :heartpuls

Slimming World ~ trying to get back on the wagon...
  • Thanks for reply

Theres no loans or debt and theres enough money in the account to not use the overdraft and I dont think they have or used the credit card but I will have to check
  • woody2234 wrote: »
    Thanks for reply

Theres no loans or debt and theres enough money in the account to not use the overdraft and I dont think they have or used the credit card but I will have to check
    Don't rely on the counter staff that are not usually trained to deal with the berieved. Ask to speak to somone senior or to their central bereavement depeartment if they have one. The surviving joint account holder should have immediate acess to funds via an ATM card and setting up internet banking facilities should take no more than a day.
  • Yes they will probably have to make an appointment to see the bereavement team expert, also If they freeze the account will an ATM card still work
  • woody2234 wrote: »
    Yes they will probably have to make an appointment to see the bereavement team expert, also If they freeze the account will an ATM card still work
    You must not use the existing ATM car under any circumsatnces. The bank should issue one for the new account.
  • What should happen with a joint account is that the survivor makes an appointment at the local branch, where they need to take the death certificate and forms of ID. There is no need to complicate things with the will as everything in that account now belongs to the surviving account holder.

Technically whatever was in the JA now belongs to remaining account holder and is no longer a part of the deceased’s estatate so the bequest to person 3 fails. Nothing to stop the account holder passing it on though.
  • Margot123
    Margot123 Posts: 1,116 Forumite
    The bank won't freeze a joint account as that would put the surviving person into immediate financial hardship.
    It is just the basics that they need to sort, such as cheque books and other stationery. Any direct debits solely in the deceased's name will be cancelled, so it would be wise to get the utility bills etc sorted ASAP.
  • Tom99
    Tom99 Posts: 5,371 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]I found it easier to leave the joint account open and not tell the bank for a while. That way all payments in and out can continue as normal whilst you sort things out.[/FONT]
  • Tom99 wrote: »
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]I found it easier to leave the joint account open and not tell the bank for a while. That way all payments in and out can continue as normal whilst you sort things out.[/FONT]
    This was a breach of trust as executor. If you also used an ATM card belonging to the deceased that is an offence. Nobody should follow your example.
  • Tom99
    Tom99 Posts: 5,371 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 1 January 2018 at 4:56AM
    This was a breach of trust as executor. If you also used an ATM card belonging to the deceased that is an offence. Nobody should follow your example.

It was a joint account and I therefore had my own debit card so no offence was committed nor trust breached.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure