The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

Dormant Bank Account

I separated from my ex-partner approximately ten years. We are not in contact, nor do I know his whereabouts. There is still in existence a Halifax Cardcash Account in joint names/joint signatories. The account has lay dormant with a zero balance since the separation. I have approached the bank in the past to explain the circumstances and to request that the account be closed. However, my request has been refused as the bank require the authority of both signatories. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Comments

• I separated from my ex-partner approximately ten years. We are not in contact, nor do I know his whereabouts. There is still in existence a Halifax Cardcash Account in joint names/joint signatories. The account has lay dormant with a zero balance since the separation. I have approached the bank in the past to explain the circumstances and to request that the account be closed. However, my request has been refused as the bank require the authority of both signatories. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Oh, how irritating and annoying :mad:

I suppose you could lodge a formal complaint and then take it to the ombudsman, but I'm not sure that will help you much at all at this stage.

A couple of novel ideas you may want to ponder over during this long festive season...

1. Ask your ex partner if she will give the appropriate authority to close your joint account.
    2. Forget all about it ... as you appear to have done for the last decade.

Enjoy the last throes of this festive season. I can see you are trying to make the most of it

:xmastree::xmastree::xmastree:
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,711
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Ambassador
    You don't really need to do anything about the account, it will stay there virtually forever, but wont harm your credit.

Disassociate yourself from your ex with all of the credit reference agencies, then the matter is immaterial.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • OP are you sure about the joint signatory part?
    Did you have a card on the account? If so how could you operate on joint signatory?
    The problem here is that the account is dormant so both parties need to be identified in order to reactivate the card and then closed.
    After 15 years the account will be closed to a central fund.
  • nic_c
    nic_c Posts: 2,928
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    So long as there is no link to your ex-partner on CRA reports, then it shouldn't affect you. The Cashcard is a defunct account it is dormant and as it requires both of you to sign to reactivate so could use or close it then there is no concerns over your ex-partner using it to run debt up. You should be able to safely ignore it - if they have your current address you may get occasional letters (I have a dormant a/c with pence in but never got round to getting to a local branch to close it)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure