Renovations and Repayments II: New Year, New Start, New Diary.

Options

Comments

• beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,318 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Glad you had a good time :)

My DS is going to be doing the same as you in a couple of months.
    His thoughts are similar :rotfl:
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • AlexLK
    AlexLK Posts: 6,125 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    kelpie35 wrote: »
    So pleased to hear you and Mrs K had a lovely time together.

I am sure your son missed you both when you were away, but good to hear he enjoyed his time with your cousins.

Take care.

Thank you, kelpie. :)

Spent the evening after school with my son. He was pleased to see me this afternoon at the gates. Had work to do but have left it until tomorrow evening to go out for a drive with my son and prepare a nice meal for us to enjoy as a family. Still on holiday mode if I'm honest. :rotfl:
    newgirly wrote: »
    Glad the break went well Alex, especially as your ds enjoyed it too - plenty of couples weekends to be arranged for the future :D

Thank you, NG. :)

:rotfl: Certainly so if Mrs. K. gets her way. She's asked if I want to go away for my birthday and new year as my birthday is on the 28th December. I've said if we're doing that we'll go as a family. I know she wants a weekend in London at some point this year, though. :)
    beanielou wrote: »
    Glad you had a good time :)

My DS is going to be doing the same as you in a couple of months.
    His thoughts are similar :rotfl:

Thank you, beanie.

The wedding they've planned is very low key and relaxed. He's said to me they want a marriage together and aren't too concerned about the wedding so long as they've a few nice photos. I'm also responsible for transport on the day as I'm taking the groom in our Mk.1 Triumph GT6 and Mrs. K. is going to drive the bride and her parents in our Daimler.
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
    Mortgage Overpayments £5,500
  • gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Glad you're helping make your friend's day special Alex :T.
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,463 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I think you are a secret old person Alex - I can't remember the last time I heard someone say they were "going for a drive" :)
  • beanielou
    Options
    Oh sorry, I picked you up wrongly.
    I thought you were going to be the best man.
    Apologies.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

• AlexLK
    Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 24 April 2018 at 9:53PM
    Options
    Good day had today and cooked dinner again this evening. :) Seem to be getting back into it: saving money and eating more healthily than before we went away. Mrs. K. was home quite early from work so we had a walk in the rain as a family.
    gallygirl wrote: »
    Glad you're helping make your friend's day special Alex :T.

Thanks Gally. :)
    I think you are a secret old person Alex - I can't remember the last time I heard someone say they were "going for a drive" :)

:rotfl: I think you're probably right, Ed.
    beanielou wrote: »
    Oh sorry, I picked you up wrongly.
    I thought you were going to be the best man.
    Apologies.

Beanie, no need to apologise and I am his best man as well as chauffeur for the day. :rotfl: They are trying to have a wedding on a very tight budget due to paying down debts accrued prior to the relationship. It's quite a difficult time for both of them so Mrs. K. and I are trying to help them out where we can. I offered the cars as the original plan was for the bride to arrive in her father's 10 year old Mercedes and for him to take his 430d.

Dreading seeing a few other school friends I've not seen since my early / mid twenties but know they are high achievers doing very well for themselves and also know they are aware what happened to me.
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
  • beanielou
    Options
    AlexLK wrote: »
    Good day had today and cooked dinner again this evening. :) Seem to be getting back into it: saving money and eating more healthily than before we went away. Mrs. K. was home quite early from work so we had a walk in the rain as a family.

Thanks Gally. :)

:rotfl: I think you're probably right, Ed.

Beanie, no need to apologise and I am his best man as well as chauffeur for the day. :rotfl: They are trying to have a wedding on a very tight budget due to paying down debts accrued prior to the relationship. It's quite a difficult time for both of them so Mrs. K. and I are trying to help them out where we can. I offered the cars as the original plan was for the bride to arrive in her father's 10 year old Mercedes and for him to take his 430d.

Dreading seeing a few other school friends I've not seen since my early / mid twenties but know they are high achievers doing very well for themselves and also know they are aware what happened to me.

I have no idea what has happened to you in the past.
    Anyway what has happened in the past does not matter.
    It is what is happening now that is important.
    FRom what I read you seem lovely & caring.
    You have a lovely family.
    Far far more important that being a so called high achiever.
    Whatever that is!!
    Be proud of you & your life.
    Just my thoughts.

• PositiveBalance
    PositiveBalance Posts: 1,268 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 24 April 2018 at 10:24PM
    Options

You might be surprised. And monetary happiness does not mean they are happy in everything as you have learned.

As for you, you have moved on from a career that did not particularly suiit you and are working your way up the ladder in your new chosen career. You are also working in a related business you are poised to inherit as the devil makes work for idle hands, have married a woman you clearly adore who is independently very successful in her chosen field, have had a wonderful son who is the apple of eye and are looking to upgrade your existing nice house in the foreseeable future, sometime after you come back from safari, once you have finished a few final renovations.

And you are doing OK on the car and pen front as well. :D

Could be worse, no? :p
    Debt: £11,640.02 paid in full! DFD: 30/06/20
    Starter Emergency Fund (#187): £1000/£1000
    3 month Emergency Fund (#45): £3300/£3300
  • AlexLK
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Thanks both!

I'm trying to move on from the past. :) Do start to feel very inadequate when comparing myself to others, though. However, life is being kind to me presently.
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
  • wishingthemortgaheaway
    Options
    Thanks both!

I'm trying to move on from the past. :) Do start to feel very inadequate when comparing myself to others, though. However, life is being kind to me presently.

I think we all feel inadequate when we make comparisons, the alternative is to be a 'horrible' person because we are comparing ourselves to those less
    Fortunate in a way that bigs up our achievements - which I actually think is worse.
    Learning to be content with our lot is a challenge. That doesn't mean we don't strive for improvements, but not at all costs.

I know you've made huge strides in your self love over the course of your diary, but the next one, I believe is contentment.
    Outstanding mortgage: £23,181 (December 19)
    MFW 2020 Challenge Member #10 0/£2318
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport