Options

Comments

• IanManc
    IanManc Posts: 2,095 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    Options
    Alexland wrote: »
    Looks like it's working again today.

Lifestrategy 20% Acc & Inc, 40% Acc & Inc, 60% Inc, 80% Inc and 100% Inc are all still missing from the funds available on IWEB.

:(
  • Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,657 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 12 January 2018 at 8:06PM
    Options
    IanManc wrote: »
    Lifestrategy 20% Acc & Inc, 40% Acc & Inc, 60% Inc, 80% Inc and 100% Inc are all still missing from the funds available on IWEB.

:(

I just checked on Halifax SD and they are only offering VLS60, 80 and 100 ACC units only so that matches.

Sorry I only checked VLS80 ACC as that's the one I hold although I am dialing down the risk to HSBC GS Balanced given market performance in recent weeks.
  • Alexland
    edited 11 January 2018 at 3:56PM
    Options
    I decided to proceed but as the transaction was over the Halifax £100k online trade limit I had to phone up but they still offered the online trade rate which was very nice of them. The VLS sale completed today and I just phoned back to place the HSBC order. So now my total equities exposure is a bit lower and my bonds in the 2 pensions are better split between corporate and government. Also, excluding these two Halifax trade costs, my total weighted fund and platform costs across my 2 pensions are down to 0.31%.

Alex.
  • Audaxer
    Audaxer Posts: 3,512 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I decided to proceed but as the transaction was over the Halifax £100k online trade limit I had to phone up but they still offered the online trade rate which was very nice of them. The VLS sale completed today and I just phoned back to place the HSBC order. So now my total equities exposure is a bit lower and my bonds in the 2 pensions are better split between corporate and government. Also, excluding these two Halifax trade costs, my total weighted fund and platform costs across my 2 pensions are down to 0.31%.

Alex.
    Alex, did you sell over £100k of VLS80 and buy HSBC GS Balanced in it's place? If you had to wait for the VLS sale proceeds coming through before the HSBC purchase, how long were you out of the market?

My wife has recently bought some HSBC GS Bal, but we currently have much more VLS, so I'm thinking of replacing some of my VLS40 with HSBC GS Bal to lessen our UK exposure a bit. The VLS funds are currently with HSD, but I must admit I'm a bit concerned about having too much invested with them when I hear of VLS products disappearing from their system at times, and not being available to buy or sell them.
  • Alexland
    Options
    Yes all done on the phone this week - the VLS80 sale took around 48 hours to become available cash and the HSBC GS Balanced purchase completed today in 24 hours. The VLS price dropped the day after the sale so I managed to get into HSBC without any real difference in value.

I don't think there's anything particularly sinister about VLS disappearing from Halifax and it might have been possible to do a telephone trade during the period. I was still stumped when it happened.

I still like a bit of UK bias but it makes most sense for me to hold the UK shares, gilts and cash in my workplace pension alongside some global equities where the fees for those UK funds are lower and I get return on cash. I can adjust my workplace pension with no trade fees to get my target allocation. I am holding circa 10% cash, as the L&G MI funds would, to try and adjust my exposure to the economic cycle.

Alex
  • Audaxer
    Options
    Yes all done on the phone this week - the VLS80 sale took around 48 hours to become available cash and the HSBC GS Balanced purchase completed today in 24 hours. The VLS price dropped the day after the sale so I managed to get into HSBC without any real difference in value.
    Gosh, that is one heck of a big trade. Well done.
    I don't think there's anything particularly sinister about VLS disappearing from Halifax
    That's good. I was getting a bit concerned as I don't think it seems the most reliable platform.
  • Alexland
    edited 12 January 2018 at 10:37PM
    Options
    Audaxer wrote: »
    Gosh, that is one heck of a big trade. Well done.
    That's good. I was getting a bit concerned as I don't think it seems the most reliable platform.

Yeah I wouldn't try a trade of that size in exchange traded Shares, ITs or ETFs incase it had an influence on the market but with funds you can get away with it as you get in and out at the same daily fund price as everyone else.

HSBC GS Balanced only has £167m of assets so I now own circa 0.1% of the whole fund.

Alex
  • IanManc
    IanManc Posts: 2,095 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    Options
    I don't think there's anything particularly sinister about VLS disappearing from Halifax and it might have been possible to do a telephone trade during the period. I was still stumped when it happened.

All five of the Acc Lifestrategy versions are now available in IWEB, but still none of the Inc versions.
  • Alexland
    edited 12 January 2018 at 11:08PM
    Options
    IanManc wrote: »
    All five of the Acc Lifestrategy versions are now available in IWEB, but still none of the Inc versions.

Maybe people are complaining one fund at a time? You would think they would prefer to have the income ones as people might incur trade costs reinvesting returns.
  • Audaxer
    edited 12 January 2018 at 11:26PM
    Options
    HSBC GS Balanced only has £167m of assets so I now own circa 0.1% of the whole fund.
    That is some amount of money you are confident of leaving with Halifax SD in the same fund. I guess I shouldn't be too anxious of just going over the £50k limit.

I'm sure you said a few weeks ago that you thought the HSBC Global Strategy funds had too much US equity?

I think the HSBC GS Balanced sits quite nicely alongside the VLS60, so thinking of upping my investment in HSBC so I've got roughly the same amount in VLS and HSBC. The returns graph for both funds are almost identical for the last 5 years, but who knows which one would do better in an equity crash - maybe the VLS which is automatically rebalanced by buying more equities at falling prices to keep to the 60%, or maybe the HSBC fund would fare better being actively managed.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure