Separated in May and now struggling!!!!

Hi, I have split from my partner in May this year and ever since i have been struggling to have a comfortable lifestyle i am literally living on £30 per month. The issue is relating to my car that i currently have. The finance was taken out under the name of my father in law, yet i have been paying for the last 3 years and i still have to pay up to September 2019 and the fee i have to pay is £147 per month. however this is not the only issue. the other issue is a number of years ago me and my then partner suffered from money issues and at the time the then in laws provided a credit card to which at the moment i am paying £100 per month towards this. so i am not only paying the car and the credit card i am paying my ex child maintenance of £150 per month so in total they are getting a third of my monthly income each month and i am living below the living wage. Is there anything that i can do to stop paying for what i have to, to give myself a sort of normal lifestyle. does anyone what i can do. this is pulling me down. At the moment i am not able to pay my own bills such as my energy bills.

Comments

• Who's name is the credit card in? What was purchased with the card? Is your ex-partner making any contribution towards this.
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till the End
    You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
  • The Credit Card is in the Ex's mothers name. my ex has said that she is contributing to it. but i can not be certain as she is not really talking to me. i dont know what to do with everything. my ex is trying to stop my daughter seeing my parents.
  • onlyroz
    onlyroz Posts: 17,661 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Can you do a voluntary termination on the car? Should be allowed if you’ve paid off 50% of the car finance.
  • stumac1980 wrote: »
    The Credit Card is in the Ex's mothers name. my ex has said that she is contributing to it. but i can not be certain as she is not really talking to me. i dont know what to do with everything. my ex is trying to stop my daughter seeing my parents.

Do you get copies of statements?
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till the End
    You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
  • I need the car to be able to get to work which is another problem,

i dont get any statements in relation to the credit card. i guess i should ask.
  • You really do need to see those statements. There could be a possibility to reduce payments a little while still paying above the minimum.

You also need to ensure that the card isn’t being used any more and that the ex is contributing also. There is a possibility that she is not doing so but you won’t know unless you see those statements.

It is probably worth seriously handing this car back and getting a banger for a while til you are more financially stable.

Are you paying child maintenance via CMS?
  • I am going to have to seriously think about changing my car, then i can stop both payments. i am only paying the credit card till the car is paid off then i was stopping. My child maintenance is paid mutually and not through CMS. Would it work out that if i did speak to the CMS that they would take into account the other payments that i have been making.
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    You are trying to walk away from your responsibilities. Your ex parents were being nice to you at the time by taking this car loan. Why do you think it would be ok to stop payment and cause trouble to them when they had only done something nice? Take the matter in your hands, either find out from the finance company if you can now return the car and the implication of doing so, or contact your in laws and explain the situation and ask them to find out. In no case should you cause THEM to be in financial difficulties because of you.

As for the credit card how much was the loan for and what did you buy for it. If it was for something you benefited from, then you need to repay it all. If it was for overall household thing, then find out how much more you have to pay to make it 50%.

You say you have £30 left, so you are not destitute. Increase your income, reduce other outgoings, but don't stop paying your debts without coming up with an arrangement. It would be immoral to just stop because you want an extra £250 to enjoy your life with. The time will come, it's just not now yet.
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,074 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    You are going to have to speak to your ex MIL.

Ask for the credit card statement to prove that both you and your ex have been equally paying it off.

Tell them you can no longer afford the car. Whose name is the car in? E.g. When it is paid off, who will it belong to? You need to make sure this is YOU!

Get the car returned and buy a £200 banger that has an MOT for 6 months. You need a car to get to work. This doesn't have to be an expensive car.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • Sambella
    Sambella Posts: 417 Forumite
    I've helped Parliament
    edited 30 December 2017 at 2:53PM
    You could either be paying too much or too little maintenance , can’t really be sure but as a guide use this calculator.

https://www.gov.uk/calculate-your-child-maintenance

You would not get a reduction for car costs if you have sole use of the car.

CMS will sometimes take into consideration payments towards joint debts but your scenario is complicated by the fact that the debt is on someone else’s credit card which the CMS May refuse to consider.

Best place to start is to get those statements , see what is owed and who has paid what. For all you know your ex may have never paid a penny but equally she may have paid something regularly.

If they refuse to give you statements that may be a cause for concern.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure