IMPORTANT REMINDER: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information. If you are uploading images, please take extra care that you have redacted all personal information.
Advent-ures in the MSE Forum... Our Advent calendar is live, helping you discover a new corner of the community each day. Visit the homepage and scroll down

IPC Parking Ticket - Lease Vehicle

edited 29 December 2017 at 5:14PM in Parking tickets, fines & parking
3 replies 363 views
Fender123Fender123 Forumite
1 Post
edited 29 December 2017 at 5:14PM in Parking tickets, fines & parking
Hello MSE Team,

A parking charge notice has been affixed to the windscreen of a lease vehicle by an IPC company.

Tell me if I am wrong, but I understand from Schedule 4 of POFA 2012 that this ticket is the Notice To Driver, provided it complies with all the requirements under paragraph 7) of course.

I understood from the newbies topic that if the vehicle is a lease, then the person who collected the ticket should appeal before the 28 days given by the PPC.

However, when trying to appeal on the PPC's website as suggested on the NTD, two questions are asked:
1. Are you the registered keeper of the vehicle? - NO (I believe it is the lease company right?)
2. Were you the driver of the vehicle? - NO (a person can possess a NTD without being the driver right?)

By answering NO to these two questions, it seems the PPC does not allow any appeal as this message shows up:

"In accordance with the DPA we cannot progress this appeal further unless we have either the driver or registered keeper details i.e. a full name and a serviceable UK address"

What should be the next step? Wait for the NTK to be sent to the lease company, then back to the hirer?

And what is the real advantage of appealing quickly when a lease vehicle gets a windscreen ticket? Is it to hope the IPC will take more than the 28 days + 28 days to retrieve the keeper's details from DLVA?
- Schedule 4 para 11.1) b) refering to the relevant period as defined in para 8.5)

Thanks for your advice.

Replies

• FruitcakeFruitcake Forumite
    55.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    The idea of appealing early is to take the PCN away from the lease company who may otherwise decide to pay it instead of passing it to the hirer.

For the purposes of the POFA 2012, the day to day keeper should be allowed the opportunity to appeal but the scammers have removed that option by only allowing the registered keeper or driver to appeal.

It would be best to wait for the more expert posters, but I would be inclined to appeal as keeper myself. However I should warn you that most people only ever listen to me when I'm wrong.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • nosferatu1001nosferatu1001 Forumite
    13K Posts
    10,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I’d appeal,as RK, but refer to yourself as the Keeper throughout as normal. The DPA reference is complete rubbish of course, and so you make it clear.
    It’s not like they’ll read the appeal at all. It’s just going through the motions, and you’re correcting their error.
  • Coupon-madCoupon-mad
    111.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Yes, say you are the rk then explain in the appeal that you are the lessee/keeper of this car.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Is your local HSBC closing?

114 branches to shut in 2023

MSE News

Advent Competitions

The countdown is on

MSE Forum

Baileys £10 for 1L at Tesco

When you scan your Clubcard

MSE Deals