IMPORTANT REMINDER: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information. If you are uploading images, please take extra care that you have redacted all personal information.
Advent-ures in the MSE Forum... Our Advent calendar is live, helping you discover a new corner of the community each day. Visit the homepage and scroll down

Is it worth fixing my Ford Focus?

in Motoring
2 replies 651 views
Hi all,

I have got a 2005 Ford Focus zetec which has done just over 100,000 miles. Last night my clutch went and the car was taken to my local garage. They have said that the cost of the clutch will be £650 but this may rise to £980 if the fly wheel also needs doing which they can’t tell until they start the job.

My question is whether paying this amount is worth it for this car? It is a bit battered externally and we have been thinking of potentially leasing a car but did want to hold onto this for a bit longer as my partner has just passed his test and we thought it would be better if he got more experienced in this car first...

I’d really appreciate any advice you can give.

Replies

• sevenhillssevenhills Forumite
    4.5K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Ford dealer may quote £850, an independent garage will likely charge half that.
    £200 for parts and £200 for labour; I guess your car would be worth £4/500, but you know its condition, you might pay £400 for your next car, and it could be a money pit, stick with the car you know.
  • motorguymotorguy Forumite
    22.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Hmac13 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I have got a 2005 Ford Focus zetec which has done just over 100,000 miles. Last night my clutch went and the car was taken to my local garage. They have said that the cost of the clutch will be £650 but this may rise to £980 if the fly wheel also needs doing which they can’t tell until they start the job.

My question is whether paying this amount is worth it for this car? It is a bit battered externally and we have been thinking of potentially leasing a car but did want to hold onto this for a bit longer as my partner has just passed his test and we thought it would be better if he got more experienced in this car first...

I’d really appreciate any advice you can give.

I'd have thought a clean well maintained 2005 Focus with a years MOT is worth £750 to £1,000.

They're robbing you blind on the price of the clutch. A LUK (good brand) Clutch kit is around £150 and the same kit is around £250-300 with a flywheel.

Its no more than a days labour, so assuming even £30 an hour, it should be £350-£400 or £500-500 if it needs a flywheel too.

Also in its current state its worth practically nothing, so you'll get the price of repairing it back come resale time anyway.

Personally, i'd price around for a better price and get the work done.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Cheapest Christmas dinner

We've crunched the numbers to find the best prices

MSE News

Advent Competitions

The countdown is on

MSE Forum