Help - Landlord has landed me with a huge energy bill!

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Energy
8 replies 980 views
guinness_dogguinness_dog Forumite
2 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Energy
Hi,

I moved in to rented accommodation in Mar 17 and was assured by my landlord that the energy company would be told that I had moved in and was now responsible for energy costs and that I could then switch to whatever provider I wanted. However, my landlord only notified the energy provider on 19 Dec 17 and therefore I received both my welcome letter and energy bill for Mar-Dec 17 on 20 Dec 17. I accept that I have to pay for the energy I have used but I wanted to seek advice as to my rights as I feel that I have been on an energy tariff and provider that I did not choose and I couldn't change as I didn't have an account with the provider or know who was providing my energy. As a result, I have been charged on the standard tariff which is extremely expensive whereas I would have done a price comparison if I'd of know who I was with. I know it's a long shot but just wanted some advice as to whether I had any wriggle room. thank you.

Replies

• Andy_WSMAndy_WSM Forumite
    2.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Uniform Washer Rampant Recycler
    ✭✭✭✭
    You left it for 8-9 months without chasing it up? I don't think you have any "rights" but may be allowed to pay back the debt over a period of time, however it is unlikely to will get an energy tariff backdated. This is one of those jobs that you should have kept on top of at the end of every month when you'd normally provide meter readings you should have bene chasing the landlord!

• SystemSystem Forumite
    177.9K Posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi - welcome to the forum. This is fundamentally a dispute between you, the tenant, and your Landlord. The problem that you have is that it would appear that you didn't bother to find out why nothing had been actioned for 9 months. It is easy to ascertain which which supplier is supplying a property. Why didn't you just initiate a switch after, say, a couple of weeks had elapsed? This would have generated a response from one or more suppliers.

Advice on Landlord/Tenant disputes is available on another forum.

Make this your New Year 2018 Top Resolution. Never allow a Landlord/Letting Agent to action a transfer of supply to you. Do it yourself. All it needs is one phone call with meter readings and then you are free to switch.

Details of your supplier/s can be searched on this link:

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/consumers/household-gas-and-electricity-guide/connections-and-moving-home/who-my-gas-or-electricity-supplier
  • It was your responsibility to notify the energy provider in the first instance of you taking over the account.

Then you could have looked around for a better deal and moved to any supplier you wanted.

It was not your landlords job to do so. So yes you are now required to pay the bill for the energy that you have used in that time
  • Hi,

I moved in to rented accommodation in Mar 17 and was assured by my landlord that the energy company would be told that I had moved in and was now responsible for energy costs and that I could then switch to whatever provider I wanted. However, my landlord only notified the energy provider on 19 Dec 17 and therefore I received both my welcome letter and energy bill for Mar-Dec 17 on 20 Dec 17. I accept that I have to pay for the energy I have used but I wanted to seek advice as to my rights as I feel that I have been on an energy tariff and provider that I did not choose and I couldn't change as I didn't have an account with the provider or know who was providing my energy. As a result, I have been charged on the standard tariff which is extremely expensive whereas I would have done a price comparison if I'd of know who I was with. I know it's a long shot but just wanted some advice as to whether I had any wriggle room. thank you.

If I were you, I would write a letter of COMPLAINT to your landlord, advising him that due to his tardiness, you have incurred significant losses.
    Explain the losses you have incurred in detail , and explain that you will be deducting these from the rent to be paid, plus a further administative charge of £50.00 to cover the time, inconvenience, stress and suffering he has caused you.

Have a wonderful festive season. You'll be surprised how quickly it'll be all over

:xmastree::xmastree::xmastree:
  • Thank you for all this advice. When we moved in I was expressly told that the landlord informs the energy company of my move in and that only then can I switch, it’s a military house so my landlord is all powerful. I’ve set up a plan to pay the bills and think I will submit a complaint thank you.
  • moleratmolerat Forumite
    25K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    But you can pay with the money you put aside each month for when a bill eventually arrived.

As for a complaint, I wouldn't bother. It was your responsibility to chase what was or was not done when nothing happened after a month or two.
  • matelodavematelodave Forumite
    6.9K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    One would have expected that you should have noticed that you hadn't had or been paying for energy and so the appropriate amount should be sitting in your bank ready to pay it. Unless you've spent it on something else in which case you'll have to tighten your belt until the arrears have been paid off.

You need to ask your supplier for time to pay a get them to add the arreas to your direct debit.

As others have said, never rely on someone else doing something that you should do yourself (or at least check that it's been done), especially when it comes to where your money is going.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • badmemorybadmemory Forumite
    4.2K Posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Always remember that only one person has your best interests at heart & that is you. Once you have learnt that everything else is easy.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Students - apply for uni funding NOW

If you plan to get a place via 'clearing'

MSE News

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides