PPI on accounts more that 7 years ago.

Options
Hi everyone,

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

I’ll try and make this quick,

In 2011, I tried to claim ppi (I knew nothing about it) from bank of Ireland and was rejected with a final response, they offered to go to financial ombudsman and I though “they are a bank, they would do the right thing”.

But later realised that was simple do me, and tried contacting the ombudsman’s, but they can’t do anything as it was to late, (into 2012).

I asked them to reopen the case, as I knew nothing about the PPI but nothing came if it, so when I heard about the Plevin case, I though if this is applicable I’ll get something back, and it I have found trace records of an order bank loan with bank of Ireland, so I contacted them and asked if I had PPI on this account(I can only assume as it was on the late reply two bank loans), they have replied “unfortunately, due to the time that has passed since these accounts were closed, we no longer hold. Copy of the credit agreement or transactions, and we are therefore unable to confirm weather an application for PPI was made with this account”

There is other information on the letter, but large it says, not telling you, unless you can provide information to the contrary, (ie statements, PPI premiums, they would review the complaint).

I am a bit lost, can I raise a claim of PPI without having evidence of ever having it, is this on me to prod I had it, or with the recent amount of cases, should it not Ben on them to prove i didn’t have it?

Thanks
Oh an this account closed around 2008/2009.
Thanks again
Marty

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    They cannot prove a negative if no evidence remains.

If you have evidence, supply it to them.
  • sun73
    sun73 Posts: 498 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi everyone,

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

I’ll try and make this quick,

In 2011, I tried to claim ppi (I knew nothing about it) from bank of Ireland and was rejected with a final response, they offered to go to financial ombudsman and I though “they are a bank, they would do the right thing”.

But later realised that was simple do me, and tried contacting the ombudsman’s, but they can’t do anything as it was to late, (into 2012).

I asked them to reopen the case, as I knew nothing about the PPI but nothing came if it, so when I heard about the Plevin case, I though if this is applicable I’ll get something back, and it I have found trace records of an order bank loan with bank of Ireland, so I contacted them and asked if I had PPI on this account(I can only assume as it was on the late reply two bank loans), they have replied “unfortunately, due to the time that has passed since these accounts were closed, we no longer hold. Copy of the credit agreement or transactions, and we are therefore unable to confirm weather an application for PPI was made with this account”

There is other information on the letter, but large it says, not telling you, unless you can provide information to the contrary, (ie statements, PPI premiums, they would review the complaint).

I am a bit lost, can I raise a claim of PPI without having evidence of ever having it, is this on me to prod I had it, or with the recent amount of cases, should it not Ben on them to prove i didn’t have it?

Thanks
    Oh an this account closed around 2008/2009.
    Thanks again
    Marty

Send them a Subject Access Request for a more in depth search of their records, it might reveal some evidence of your previous loans with them, costs £10.
  • wanting_help
    Options
    Thanks sun 73, brilliant idea. I’ll see what they come up with. My only fear is that I received this final response about a week ago, and it was the final response, and the subject access request can take up to 40 days. (Any thoughts on how to hold that line of investigation open?)

Thansk zx81, I have no evidence, only the account number, I have never worked in a bank but I am going with a gut feeling, the loan I took to consilolidate the loan in question had PPI (and I knew nothing about it), and the next loan I took and paid off the middle loan, had PPI (and I knew nothing about it) so my gut is telling me, it was most likely there.
    I find it hard to believe that the have no computer records if PPI was on the account, o assume they have no signature or account application form, but would think that they would hold computer records,
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,387 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    find it hard to believe that the have no computer records if PPI was on the account, o assume they have no signature or account application form, but would think that they would hold computer records,

Data protection act requires destruction of data no longer required. This tends to be on a phased basis and faster for those that are no longer customers than those that still are.

DSAR is the only way to verify if they are correct or not. BTW, if they are not correct, then request a refund of the DSAR fee when you put your plevin complaint in.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options

I find it hard to believe that the have no computer records if PPI was on the account, o assume they have no signature or account application form, but would think that they would hold computer records,

I would find it harder to believe that they would still have records after 9 years. They would find it hard to justify retaining your data that long.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    My only fear is that I received this final response about a week ago, and it was the final response, and the subject access request can take up to 40 days. (Any thoughts on how to hold that line of investigation open?
    In the unlikely event that your SAR contradicts what the Bank have already told you, there will be no problem getting the Bank to re-open the complaint in light of the new evidence. However, expect nothing from this and you won't be disappointed.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure