CARS and Close Brothers 'debt'

Options
Received a letter purporting to be from 'CARS' a debt collection agency out of the blue, but the number is dead when I try and call. I have no debt at all to my knowledge with supposed creditor Close Brothers. Never heard of them tbh. I've always looked after finances well and cannot think of anything this relates to. Anyone else had dodgy looking letters from this company ?

Comments

• National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi stingrayj,

Letters like this can always be a concern, especially if the contact number is not working. You can reply and send the Proveit letter and ask them for more details to confirm this is your debt. It could just be a case of mistaken identity or, as you say, a scam.

https://www.nationaldebtline.org/EW/sampleletters/Pages/Complaining-to-debt-collection-agencies-that-you-do-not-owe-the-debt-%28sole-name%29.aspx

Don't give them any additional information to what they have already (they obviously already have your name and address). Send your reply recorded deliver and keep a copy. If they continue to ask you for money, but do not satisfy your request for information, then escalate it to the FOS. Keep an eye on your credit file as well, in case any entries 'pop up' that are a concern, but hopefully it can all be drawn to a swift conclusion.

Laura
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,931 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Close Brothers provide the finance for motor, retail and insurance. You may not know you bought through them unless you carefully read the small print.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure