PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Making savings before it's too late

Options

Comments

• Blackcatsreturns
    Options
    A good rate of interest! I'm certain they weren't even going to pay the money back let alone any interest and nor would that even cross their mind. They talk the talk and I think they believe they deserve to borrow the money and I even think they initially plan to pay the money back but the reality is very different. I also tried to ensure that they understood that I wouldn't be lending in the future. I explained I was saving hard for retirement and had tied up all my money in long term savings ..... they weren't listening by that stage of the conversation.
  • PollyWollyDoodle
    PollyWollyDoodle Posts: 2,059 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'm glad you didn't lend it, and glad that the first encounter has gone ok. It doesn't sound as if they have any idea about money - and that's probably why you'd never see it again, they genuinely mean to pay it back but after a while they just don't think it matters. As long as someone else is willing to lend it, they'll carry on.
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
  • MaryLou18
    MaryLou18 Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    I think most people live to their means.

In my experience, when I have more money- I treat myself more, cook less, go out more and buy clothes i don't really need. I then end up with no money at the end of the month.

Since becoming self employed in September, I have had to be really frugal. I stopped buying expensive makeup and now research the best and cheapest, I rarely have takeaways, i don't buy clothes I don't need and I shop at cheaper supermarkets.

I have just as much money as I did when I was wasting it on rubbish I wanted but didn't really need. It is all mindset. I hope that I can continue to be frugal and break through the cycle of being left with no cash at the end of each month.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    A good rate of interest! I'm certain they weren't even going to pay the money back let alone any interest and nor would that even cross their mind. They talk the talk and I think they believe they deserve to borrow the money and I even think they initially plan to pay the money back but the reality is very different. I also tried to ensure that they understood that I wouldn't be lending in the future. I explained I was saving hard for retirement and had tied up all my money in long term savings ..... they weren't listening by that stage of the conversation.

:rotfl: Gotcha on that one - I've learnt recently there is a "blank/I'm not quite with you" look that some people put on their faces if they want to make out they don't understand you. Said "I'm an idiot/I'm absent-minded/I don't understand" look fulfils the purpose (as far as they are concerned) of being able to pretend they don't know what you're on about. Some people would rather be thought to be thick than devious imo.

Whilst, all the time, they are perfectly well aware what you're saying/how they ought to behave.:cool::cool:
  • mumf
    mumf Posts: 604 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    kittie wrote: »
    In the 70s (or 80s nor sure) when there was terrible austerity, hubbie came home and said that they (the staff ) had all voted to go onto half salary, rather than any lose their job. It was out of the blue, we had 3 children and I was not working although I was a frugal mum and thank goodness I was. We had no debt but no savings at all, barely kept above water, ate beans and tomatoes from the garden and very little else. Priority was the mortagage, many people were losing their homes. Got through that but it was a lesson and a half

We didn`t manage to save much though, not until I was past 50 and thank goodness we had the children when we were young. I had a job and everything we had, we threw at paying off the mortgage capital, an endowment mortgage, which gobbled up many people, who did not get enough endowment insurance back to pay it off. I never thought we would get to being comfortable in our old age and this only happened because of paying the mortagage off early and then we really could save hard

We went through all that.We now have no debt,mortgage paid a good few years ago,and only now ( in our 50's) can we save.That is happening only because I changed jobs,but it means more travel and a massive learning curve! Nothing has
    ever been easy.
  • tori.k
    tori.k Posts: 3,592 Forumite
    Options
    Your where I plan to be in a couple of years Mumf.
    All's well thanks Kittie. The boxes are slowly (very slowly) finding homes, Ive reclaimed our front boundary off the tenanted neighbours, Their landlord had graveled a small half meter strip to our steps, and ive planted up lavender along it as a visual marker, im sure it was done to keep things tidy but if we decide to sell this place in the future just seems easier to make sure there is no confusion over boundary lines. worse that can happen is I spend a couple hours removing gravel back across the boundary kerbstone.
    I finally can get rid of the supermarket reward credit card we have I didn't see any point on keeping it when it moved from cashback to vouchers as I don't shop in store, But DH won the discussion with the save it for Christmas and he would do the shopping :rotfl: there no way im stepping foot in that place at Christmas, now they have drop the reward to 0.2% and our fuel has dropped considerable there really is no point in keeping it as we can have another cashback card paying 0.5%. Im not to keen on this whole £99 pound hold they are planning to roll out, the hold is fine until the online banking messes up, so would prefer to pay for fuel from the station rather than automated my car only holds £30ish of fuel max
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    there are no card reading petrol pumps around here, not anywhere but there is still a garage with a very helpful owner, who will do car jobs and who fills the car with petrol. Good old fashioned service. I like cash for petrol anyway
  • Blackcatsreturns
    Options
    Evening all. I've just done a quick review of my household bills and even though I thought I was in control of them I found that my internet provider had changed my monthly charge (making it higher obviously). When I rang them they couldn't explain how that had happened and have said they will refund the overpayment. I also recently changed my mobile phone package after speaking to one of their customer service assistants. We went through usage etc and changed the tariff to supposedly save e money. Guess what? My first monthly bill has gone up. Just building up the energy to make a phone call to them - will have a cup of tea first. Just shows me that I can't be complacent although a couple of years ago I have to confess that I probably wouldn't even have noticed.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have to sit on my hand for 2 days. Insurances left today and I want to pay my cc bill, 350 but will wait until 18th or the pinch point today and tomorrow will be too pinched. I still don`t know if I will be able to actually transfer anything into a savings pot this month. I feel pretty good at paying for the insurances and will add some to cc as I like to end the month with zero, anyway my electric bill was higher because of late winter and that is paid off too

Crikey yes blackcats, so important to keep a close eye on bills. Its a steep learning curve but worth it, just to be able to get that extra into savings
  • tori.k
    tori.k Posts: 3,592 Forumite
    Options
    Turning into a Murphy's law month, Had some good news from work with them upping my contracted hours so a £100 better off a week the universe repaid this with the boiler biting the dust.
    we knew we were on borrowed time with it, but was hoping for a year as part of a kitchen rejig, we are left with the options of replacing for around 1k or sticking to the original plan and replacing and relocating for 2.5k, I think we should just bite the bullet and relocate as planned just get the mess and hassle out of the way.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure