We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including number plates, reference numbers and QR codes (which may reveal vehicle information when scanned).
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Council parking ticket
everypennyhelpss
Posts: 3 Newbie
Hi everyone,
Firstly I really want to give my appreciation for this forum. I've been lurking for years, reading other people's posts. I can't explain the countless times I've received helpful assistance on here.
So I received a parking fine for failure to display a residents permit on a Saturday. This was right outside my flat. I tried to apply for a permit on the Council website, but after selecting my flat I would receive an error.
I don't work on weekends, so I received another ticket the week after. There's nowhere else to park, unless I want to walk 20-30 minutes to get home.
Now I've lived here for 24 years, 5 of those years where I've owned a car and parked here. There are signs, but this is the first time I've ever received a ticket. The rugby stadium is nearby, so the area is permit only to deter spectators from parking here. The last 5 years, my road has been barricaded and access only given to residents. I would show my license and be given access.
When I first got my car, and attempted to apply for a permit, I received the same error on the council's website and assumed that they'd stopped issuing because they don't send inspectors to the area anymore. The next 5 years of parking without a permit and not receiving any fines obviously supported this assumption...
Anyway, I sent an informal challenge, explaining that I've tried to apply for a permit various times and am unable to. I sent pictures of the error. I told them I work during the hours their offices are open so I'm unable to pick up a physical application. The council rejected the appeal, the response being very generic almost as if gaps in a template were filled in. They simply said they feel sympathetic but they can't cancel it. No directions as to how to apply for a permit, or what is wrong with their website.
I'm now planning to wait for a Notice to Owner, and make a formal challenge. Even though it'll be a struggle to afford to pay if I lose. It's simply not fair that their website is broken, working all the time means I rely on it working.
I wanted to really ask for an opinion, friends and family have told me they should have at least shown some goodwill by cancelling the fine, as this is the first time I've received it. I'm just not sure a judge will agree.
Sorry about so much information!!! Thank you!:beer:
Firstly I really want to give my appreciation for this forum. I've been lurking for years, reading other people's posts. I can't explain the countless times I've received helpful assistance on here.
So I received a parking fine for failure to display a residents permit on a Saturday. This was right outside my flat. I tried to apply for a permit on the Council website, but after selecting my flat I would receive an error.
I don't work on weekends, so I received another ticket the week after. There's nowhere else to park, unless I want to walk 20-30 minutes to get home.
Now I've lived here for 24 years, 5 of those years where I've owned a car and parked here. There are signs, but this is the first time I've ever received a ticket. The rugby stadium is nearby, so the area is permit only to deter spectators from parking here. The last 5 years, my road has been barricaded and access only given to residents. I would show my license and be given access.
When I first got my car, and attempted to apply for a permit, I received the same error on the council's website and assumed that they'd stopped issuing because they don't send inspectors to the area anymore. The next 5 years of parking without a permit and not receiving any fines obviously supported this assumption...
Anyway, I sent an informal challenge, explaining that I've tried to apply for a permit various times and am unable to. I sent pictures of the error. I told them I work during the hours their offices are open so I'm unable to pick up a physical application. The council rejected the appeal, the response being very generic almost as if gaps in a template were filled in. They simply said they feel sympathetic but they can't cancel it. No directions as to how to apply for a permit, or what is wrong with their website.
I'm now planning to wait for a Notice to Owner, and make a formal challenge. Even though it'll be a struggle to afford to pay if I lose. It's simply not fair that their website is broken, working all the time means I rely on it working.
I wanted to really ask for an opinion, friends and family have told me they should have at least shown some goodwill by cancelling the fine, as this is the first time I've received it. I'm just not sure a judge will agree.
Sorry about so much information!!! Thank you!:beer:
0
Comments
-
Did they say they CANT cancel or have chosen not to?
“Can’t” is a procedural impropriety and a win at adjudicator stage. Councils can ALWAYS cancel. Always. Can’t fetters this discretion
Did you appeal on legitimate expectations? What “error” is received” what exact appeal did they send, etc
Frankly pepipoo is your best bet. Council section. Provides photos, GSV (google the term) of the location etc. Don’t sign up with hotmail.0 -
PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
CLICK at the top or bottom of any page where it says:
Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
