sound Posts: 14 Forumite
    I'd love to do this...I have done 2 unpaid Extras so far:

The most recent Britain's Next Top Model advert
    AC/DC's new video

I'd love some paid stuff.

were did you find these two roles?
    would have loved to be in the AC/DC's video
  • sound wrote: »
    I signed up to www.filmextras.co.uk and used a promotional code from a friend to claim free membership for 180 days just use the code 180DAYS when asked on signing up and pay nothing for 180 days site seems to have lots of interesting jobs and takes no commission if you find some work.:D

Thanks very much for the code - worked well! I've got a profile on the site now http://www.filmextras.co.uk/andyholt

Looking forward to getting some work on set!!!!!
  • This is a special discussion as part of the

article, all about

Becoming a TV/film extra

which is part of the Work, work, work section

Please feel free to add your comments, suggestions or questions

Just click reply

SHOW ME THE MONEY !
    Better to understand a little than to misunderstand a lot.
  • I think Lee's casting has folded, but I can highly recommend Mad Dog Casting.

Take your yearly book fee from your first day of work, so no upfronts.
  • DKLS
    DKLS Posts: 13,459 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Take a pack of cards/ipod/Nintendo Ds with you as it can be seriously boring and time consuming.
    I did some night shoots for a film over 3 nights, which turned out to be less than 15 seconds on screen.
    Upside the pay was ok, we had a laugh and the catering trailer provided fantastic food, Note talent eats first.
  • sound
    sound Posts: 14 Forumite
    leescasting
    2020casting

Both websites no longer working.....
  • Naykon
    Naykon Posts: 51 Forumite
    edited 20 July 2009 at 5:44PM
    Whenever I've done it the film companies just tend to ask for extras in local papers as and when they're needed, I always go along, it's easy money if your poor.

I've been in Heartbeat and the first Harry Pothead film

Heartbeat gave me £50 a day but Harry Pothead was tight, only gave me £80 for 3 days, Was 13 at the time though and got to skip school

Always take something to do, its boring as hell, loooooong periods of nothingness

Anyway, local papers are the best bet, or if your proactively looking, maybe just e-mail or write to a load of TV companies with some details and a pic of yourself.

The big film companies don't come around too often and the internet doesn't seem to be much help without coughing up some coin upfront, but extras are always in demand.
  • nboldock wrote: »
    Both sites require payment in order to get through to the members areas (which is were the juicy stuff is I think).

Not too expensive though for those that are serious about getting into this.

I personaly would NOT pay to enter the members area,look at these sites i'm with, 'casting collective',and 'guy's and solls'.I do not pay to enter their site and find whats going on.There is a joining fee of £59.00 a year to each,but they have given me a lot of work e,g 'Robin Hood' starring russell crowe, 'Nine'- the musical,starring daniel day lewis, and I was given the chance to audtion,and got the speaking part in 'John lennon naked' starring christopher eccleston, for bbc 4 later this year(2010).
    I do this part time as well,really good fun.The agency's take professional photos of you as well saving you money doing it your self.
    Hope this helps.:T
  • Can anyone recommend an agency/online site that deals with work in the Midlands?

I've signed up with a London agency before, but most of the work was London based, a pain in the butt to get to (often on short notice) and didn't make me any money after expenses.

Anything middle of the country would be good.

Thanks to the contributors so far, some good stuff here.
  • It's boring and the pay is bad. TV companies are riding on the back of their supposed glamour and mystique, and young hopefuls think it's a foot in the door. It probably isn't.

I was an extra for a drama by a Channel 4 production company. It was bizarre. I do historical re enactment and I was entertaining the crowds when i was "spotted". I receieved an email asking me to go to London for a screen test. I honestly thought it was a scam, but a friend confirmed he'd been asked byt he scout for my email address. They paid my train fare to London and I talked to them, then they asked me to go to South Wales for a day's filming.

I got £5O for the long, dull day. No travel was re imbursed, and it was a 3 hour drive there and back: I was so tired at the end of the day I found a local b and b. So I spent more than £5O and was out of pocket!

It was interesting, at first, but really left me with no desire to pursue a career on the screen.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback