🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Santander & joint policy...but now divorced!

Options
I am in the process of claiming against Santander for an Abbey National mortgage taken out pre 1999. Their letter has stated that as this was a joint policy, they will only deal with the claim if both parties claim. My ex husband & I have no contact and I don't have an address for him (and tbh begrudge enabling him to benefit from a horrendous mortgage deal he stitched us into that cost me ££s to get out of!). Does anyone have any insight into whether they can insist on this, or whether they will pay out my half only?

I am asking as Natwest have awarded me 50% of the Plevin refund on our former joint account, which he took himself off in 1999 when we separated, so am wondering whether the banks can make up their own rule about claims on joint accounts?
2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,706 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Does anyone have any insight into whether they can insist on this, or whether they will pay out my half only?

Yes, they are allowed to insist on both parties

Some will look at it on the basis of 50/50 but some wont. The FOS has looked at some of these where the lender insisted on both parties but sided with the lender. it is a business risk to those that pay out on a 50/50 basis as the insurance itself may not be 50/50 split (MPPI allowed a 100/0 25/75 or any other variation).
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,325 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Thank you - think I will wait & see how much they are talking about before I make a decision whether to find him!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Floss wrote: »
    Thank you - think I will wait & see how much they are talking about before I make a decision whether to find him!
    How will you find out how much you stand to gain?

Of course, there is no guarantee you will be successful even if you do complain jointly.
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,325 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    I will find out because they have already confirmed that there is payment due and I have had to give my bank details to them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business