We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Cashing in Cryptocurrencies

Options
I am a PhD Researcher who receives an annual tax-free stipend of circa £14K. Additionally, I have some cryptocurrency investments, from which I would like to draw some profit.

My question is this: if I cashed in £11,500 of my cryptocurrency investments, would that be subject to tax? Or would it remain under my tax-free allowance, even though I receive a tax-free stipend for my PhD? What if I invested the money directly in an ISA - would that affect the tax?

Thanks for any advice!

Comments

• planteria
    planteria Posts: 5,321 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    investing the proceeds into an ISA wouldn't reduce any tax due on your Cryptocurrency profits.. the ISA would just wrap around, and remove tax, on any future gains.
  • ColdIron
    ColdIron Posts: 9,249 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Bitcoin is subject to Capital Gains Tax not Income Tax. You have an £11,300 CGT allowance in this tax year. You are taxed on the gain (sale - purchase) not the value disposed
  • Hi, get yourself a TenX card, you then send your BTC to it and spend it using the Pre-Paid card they send you. If you upgrade your KYC to level 2, which I highly recommend then you can spend £8k a day and withdraw £800 per day from a cash machine.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport