Help replace haemaglobin

Options
Hubby recently had op and lost alot of blood (internal bleeding). Now home but still not recovering well. Advised by doctors that reason for this is loss of haemaglobin in the body and the fact that it would take some weeks for the body to produce new haemaglobin. Now I know iron is a key factor in the production of new haemaglobin and red meats oily fish and leafy vegetables are good source. I would though be grateful for any additional nutritional suggestions that might help him towards a speedy recover.
Many thanks
I say what I like, I like what I say!

Comments

• jue
    jue Posts: 263 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your hubby, but glad he's now on his way to recovery....some helpful hints....
    Always combine foods for maximum effect, the body absorbs iron better when it has vitamin C to use at the same time, so always eat iron rich foods at the same time as vitamin C e.g.
    Eggs are a good source of iron so you could have a boiled egg for breakfast and have a glass of orange juice with it or
    broccoli or any green veg have lots of iron serve with any veg that is orange or yellow as they contain Vit C e.g. carrots or yellow peppers
    cauliflower also has lots of vitamin C
    Jacket potatoes have both iron and Vitamin C as do the berries....balckberries and strawberries
    as well as the meats and fish you mentioned.
    Something else to bear in mind as your hubby eats is that caffine and ciggarettes reduce the absorbtion of vitamins and minerals (iron) from the food we eat so avoid smoking and tea and coffee at meal times.
    Hope all this helps and your hubby is feeling fit very soon.
    Jue :)
  • jue
    jue Posts: 263 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Oh and I forgot to add whole meal bread contains iron and is much better for your absorbtion than white ;D
    Jue :)
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,157 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    advise from jue very good. midwife told me more or less same when i became aneamic during my pregnancies. Another was dried apricots which i found easier to nibble at thruout day
  • macchicken
    macchicken Posts: 275 Forumite
    Options
    I think you can buy iron suppliments over the counter if he's needing a boost in iron the only thing is they can upset your stomach, try taking them just before a meal. also they can make you constipated, not nice.
    That mrs macchicken to you!
  • sce37
    sce37 Posts: 130 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you all for your suggestions. They have been very helpful in ensuring that I get the right combinations and variety of foods to help in his recovery.
  • Trix
    Trix Posts: 10,266 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Vitamin B12 and folic acid help the body absorb iron, but my favourite source of iron is......................................................................DARK CHOCOLATE ;D
    I'm a little angel o:)BUT A WHOLE LOTTA DEVIL
    'Spend your life with eyes open, sleep only to dream of what to do next'
  • System
    System Posts: 178,095 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Vitamin B12 and folic acid help the body absorb iron, but my favourite source of iron is......................................................................DARK CHOCOLATE ;D
    See, i told you all its good for you!!!
  • Trix
    Trix Posts: 10,266 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I do get anaemic quite often but since been told the chocolate tip by my mum (who has to have vitamin B12 injections because she has a B12 deficiency meaning her body can't absorb iron from food properly) I somehow seem to get anaemic more often so just HAVE to have dark chocolate............purely medicinal you realise ::) ;)
    I'm a little angel o:)BUT A WHOLE LOTTA DEVIL
    'Spend your life with eyes open, sleep only to dream of what to do next'
  • sce37
    sce37 Posts: 130 Forumite
    Options
    Well thats news to me. It will probably be easier to get him to eat dark chocolate than trying to persuade him to eat his greens!

Thanks for that.
  • Quackers
    Quackers Posts: 10,157 Forumite
    Options
    I lost lots of blood after my first baby & can just echo what Jue said. I always had a glass of freshly squeezed Orange juice with my 'iron fuelled' meals.

I can roughly remember that the average haemoglobin level is about 14 for a woman (but i might be wrong) and mine dropped to 7 :o. I was told that you are anaemic if you fall below 12!! I should have had a blood transfusion but was petrified. Looking back I should have done as it took me nearly 12months to recover. I am a veggie so it's a bit harder to get the Iron & those nasty iron tablets made my poo black >:(

Best wishes to Hubby - If he's anything like me he'll sleep his way through recovery :) My hubby had no choice but to look after our daughter ;D
    Sometimes it's important to work for that pot of gold...But other times it's essential to take time off and to make sure that your most important decision in the day simply consists of choosing which color to slide down on the rainbow...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure