Ask GP as one of mine wills witness

Options

Comments

• jennie.smith1977
    Options
    Our wills were witnessed by two of the solicitor's office staff.

As has been said before, don't use a DIY will kit if you are unwed partners.
    ognum wrote: »
    GPS leave too

Why will your witnesses be needed. As far as I am aware no one checks on the witnesses. If needed the solicitors legal records will record their staff.

If GPs leaved, we will know. As that is our GPs. Once they leaved, we can get new witnesses. But, if solicitor's office staff leaved. We never know. As we will never visit them after the wills made.

I didn't know no one checks on the witnesses. If that is the case, I can get solicitor's office staff or anyone random in my office to sign the wills
  • Tom99
    Tom99 Posts: 5,371 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If GPs leaved, we will know. As that is our GPs. Once they leaved, we can get new witnesses. But, if solicitor's office staff leaved. We never know. As we will never visit them after the wills made.

I didn't know no one checks on the witnesses. If that is the case, I can get solicitor's office staff or anyone random in my office to sign the wills

Your Will will still be valid no matter who witnessed it. Both my witnesses are dead!
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options

There's no need to get a new will made every time you lost contact with a witness (or one dies).

They sign to say that they saw you sign your name on the piece of paper - that's it. Witnesses don't need to be professional people; they don't have to see any of the will itself.

In the rare case of a will being challenged, witnesses may be contacted to confirm the circumstances but, if they are not available, the case would continue without their testimony.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Jennie - are you writing the will yourself?

Your questions about witnesses suggest that you understand very little about wills, and should therefore use a professional: a solicitor or will-writer.

If you are using a solicitor or will-writer, then they will advise you on witnesses (or even provide the witnesses) - so you don't need to rely on strangers on the internet to advise you!
  • thorsoak
    thorsoak Posts: 7,166 Forumite
    Options

Please forgive me, if this sounds rude, jennie.smith - but is english a second language for you? I ask because of your use of grammar (although that may be because you are writing on a phone). If this is the case, please ensure that your wills are correctly drawn up by a solicitor, to ensure that they are clear and concise.

A witness actually witnesses the signing and dating of the will - she or he does not have to know its contents - their only function is the witnessing and dating of the document.
  • jennie.smith1977
    Options
    thorsoak wrote: »
    Please forgive me, if this sounds rude, jennie.smith - but is english a second language for you? I ask because of your use of grammar (although that may be because you are writing on a phone). If this is the case, please ensure that your wills are correctly drawn up by a solicitor, to ensure that they are clear and concise.

A witness actually witnesses the signing and dating of the will - she or he does not have to know its contents - their only function is the witnessing and dating of the document.

Our wills are drawn up by a will-writer. We brought this from Groupon that just costed us £19. But, I found is hard to contact them for this type of silly question. Maybe we didn't pay the full price for the service or I just asked too many questions :(
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,050 Forumite
    Options
    Our wills are drawn up by a will-writer. We brought this from Groupon that just costed us £19. But, I found is hard to contact them for this type of silly question. Maybe we didn't pay the full price for the service or I just asked too many questions :(
    there are many areas where you get what you pay for, and £19 does not get you very much in legal terms. I presume it just gave you the wording, and you now have to organise the signing and witnessing. In which case, I'd strongly recommend getting the job done properly, face to face with a solicitor, NOT a will-writer.

Yes, it will cost more, but you will have the peace of mind which comes from knowing that the will does what you want it to, that any 'what if' questions you didn't think of but the solicitor did are covered, and that the will is validly signed and witnessed so that there are no difficult questions when the time comes for someone to execute it.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Groupon is a great way to get bargains and access to discounted goods and services.

But you cannot expect these to be of a professional quality. You really do just get what you pay for.

For £19 I'm not surprised the will-writer is only willing to provide the bare minimum, and not any follow-up service (unless you offer to pay for his additional time).

Either pay him for an additional half hour at whatever his hourly rate is, or take the will to a proper solicitor to check and complete the process.
  • jennie.smith1977
    Options
    Savvy_Sue wrote: »
    there are many areas where you get what you pay for, and £19 does not get you very much in legal terms. I presume it just gave you the wording, and you now have to organise the signing and witnessing. In which case, I'd strongly recommend getting the job done properly, face to face with a solicitor, NOT a will-writer.

Yes, it will cost more, but you will have the peace of mind which comes from knowing that the will does what you want it to, that any 'what if' questions you didn't think of but the solicitor did are covered, and that the will is validly signed and witnessed so that there are no difficult questions when the time comes for someone to execute it.

You are right. They just call me and then drafted the wills for me, and I now have to organise the signing and witnessing. Of course, they try to cross sell me many things which is very expensive like below
    1. Unlimited wills amendment
    2. Wills storage
    3. Trusts for children

:(
  • Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    Options
    If you have children then it's even more important that your wills are done properly. I can't see how £19 can produce a thorough will fully detailing who will look after your children if you die, for instance.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure