Toxic air in the team

Options
124»

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    PawelK wrote: »
    Hello.

I am sure many people were in a similar situation.

By the way - I am one of the best employees in the team in terms of monthly results.

Any other ideas how to approach the situation?

Yes but it was my 'equal' however equal a 9 month fixed term employee could get to 15+ years - As the Manager went on to tell me the long term 'inherited with a lot more protection' employee had flaws including only telling you the very basics of what you needed to know and they ultimately knew there was a problem. I didn't appreciate that when I was being told about being back stabbed by the team I was in, they too were probably hearing that about me so it turned out a deeply unpleasant environment where situations like these just breed ugliness and resentment.

I always considered myself as someone who very much liked to hit my targets but in the end it really did turn into a double edged sword so be careful. I've seen how time management and getting the right emails can be manipulated.

Concentrate on getting out for your own sanity. Life is to short for trying to stick daggers in each other all the while 'under entertaining the company'.

Though I did get to have my say before doing the best thing for me, I'll never be able to relay how much blooming better I felt on my way to the door. I imagine I wouldn't have been listened to, had they been the ones saying bye-bye. And no not particularly bothered by a reference as the increasing numbers of employers who refuse to write one spring to mind.
  • PawelK
    PawelK Posts: 373 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thank you all for replying. Especially those who could relate with their own, similar experiences and those who provided some really healthy advice or suggestions. I really appreciate that. It sort of bave me peace of mind and hopefully enough strength for the next few months and Christmas break will only help. I hope you all are or sill be in really good jobs in 2018 and I guess I need to prepare my questions well for the future interview to minimise the risk of getting into a very similar envirnment with management and people. By the way, some brain teaser for all. I am a finance professional and wondering what industries or sectors would be the most likely to have middle-aged+ employees as I very often find them the best to work with due to their values and work ethic?
  • t0rt0ise
    t0rt0ise Posts: 4,276 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    What you describe is favouritism. It happens everywhere. You have to ignore it. I see it in my job. You have to either grin and bear it or suck up and become a favourite. I won't do that so I'm always left out. I've come to not care. You have to fix yourself mentally to not care about it.
  • hyubh
    hyubh Posts: 3,532 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    By the way, some brain teaser for all. I am a finance professional and wondering what industries or sectors would be the most likely to have middle-aged+ employees as I very often find them the best to work with due to their values and work ethic?

I groaned in your favour when I read the first reply in this thread. Since then, the persona expressed in your posts doesn't, in all honesty, sound very nice though. Work relationships are seen as 'battles', attempts at friendliness are dismissed as cunning ploys, considerations of individual circumstance are perceived as naked cheating, disagreements are seen as things that can only be justly resolved with some sort of financial settlement, and younger colleagues (even potential ones!) are brushed aside as useless airheads simply for being younger...
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,494 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    By the way, some brain teaser for all. I am a finance professional and wondering what industries or sectors would be the most likely to have middle-aged+ employees as I very often find them the best to work with due to their values and work ethic?

The public sector seems to be less age concious than many but from my experience of the sector it's not one I'd recommend. It might suit if your values and work ethic mean that pushing through numbers over the quality of the end result is the way to go.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    I had a serious battle some time ago with my then manager and him as a senior back then. They both tried to brush me off even though I was certain I am right. I asked them at the end to escalate my complaint to their manager and the next day I got a response that I was right and will be compensated for the error they made..

As I said the senior management will know, and you missed an opportunity to take advantage of this incident.

what you do once having the eyes and ears of those more senior is work around and over the "man" in the middle(that will be going no where fast) and progressing your own career.

The approach you have taken means they have won again that's why they are still in their job and you are looking to leave.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure