Options
167891012»

Comments

• fred246
    fred246 Posts: 3,620 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 14 December 2017 at 12:41PM
    Options
    The OP could request that the generous benefactor stop paying for education which is free on the state. If he gave the money to the parents they could pay for after school activities, educational holidays, buy a car for educational days out, have some nice meals out with his children. Go to sports events, the cinema, theatre, opera, ballet & concerts. You are only at school for about 15% of the time. Parents with a bit of cash can provide much better extra education for a child than a private school can add.
  • Tabbytabitha
    Options
    fred246 wrote: »
    The OP could request that the generous benefactor stop paying for education which is free on the state. If he gave the money to the parents they could pay for after school activities, educational holidays, buy a car for educational days out, have some nice meals out with his children. Go to sports events, the cinema, theatre, opera, ballet & concerts. You are only at school for about 15% of the time. Parents with a bit of cash can provide much better extra education for a child than a private school can add.

Many out of school educational activities are cheap or free. Unfortunately, most parents are more likely to spend spare cash on some kind of games console or Sky package rather than taking their children to the theatre and concerts, imo.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,610 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Many out of school educational activities are cheap or free. Unfortunately, most parents are more likely to spend spare cash on some kind of games console or Sky package rather than taking their children to the theatre and concerts, imo.

MrAPJI wrote: »
    Are you in a position to comment with any certainty - you don't seem to have any experience of private schools.

You'll be in trouble for discussing this you know.:naughty:

Kim_13 wrote: »
    The OP has returned to the thread (4 forum posts, all in this thread.)

Can we try to keep the thread to constructive suggestions for the OP, in case he returns for more advice. A debate of state vs private or other aspects of schooling would be best suited to Discussion Time.
  • fred246
    Options
    MrAPJI wrote: »
    Are you in a position to comment with any certainty - you don't seem to have any experience of private schools.

My sister went to a private school. We were both top of our primary school class. I achieved the highest possible grades and went to a top university. Her grades were so poor she couldn't go to a university or a polytechnic. She went to a College of Higher Education. I earn 4-5x the UK average salary. She has always earned less than the UK average salary. It taught me to compare the pros and cons of different schools and not just to think that private=good, state=bad.
  • Tabbytabitha
    Options
    fred246 wrote: »
    My sister went to a private school. We were both top of our primary school class. I achieved the highest possible grades and went to a top university. Her grades were so poor she couldn't go to a university or a polytechnic. She went to a College of Higher Education. I earn 4-5x the UK average salary. She has always earned less than the UK average salary. It taught me to compare the pros and cons of different schools and not just to think that private=good, state=bad.

Perhaps your parents sent your sister to a private school because she needed more help than you did? Perhaps she would have done far worse in the state sector?

There's no way of answering either of those questions but I do object to your implied idea that the purpose if a good education is a highly paid job.
  • onomatopoeia99
    Options
    Perhaps your parents sent your sister to a private school because she needed more help than you did? Perhaps she would have done far worse in the state sector?
    It is of greater concern that parents would treat their children differently in such a crucial part of their upbringing.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • Fireflyaway
    Fireflyaway Posts: 2,766 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The poster came here for advice on how to work through a financial issue not for us all to debate private v state school. I'm really not sure why people have such strong opinions on this subject anyway. Why be so concerned about where someone educates their child?
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,610 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The poster came here for advice on how to work through a financial issue not for us all to debate private v state school. I'm really not sure why people have such strong opinions on this subject anyway. Why be so concerned about where someone educates their child?

If you've read the posts you should have some understanding of people's viewpoints on state v private so can't see why you're unsure.

As frequently happens OP was asked questions for clarification on the financial issues (notably if he paid maintenance so that the mother could afford the extras) but he chose not to respond. So we carried on the conversation without him. That's what might happen in RL.
  • Fireflyaway
    Options
    maman wrote: »
    If you've read the posts you should have some understanding of people's viewpoints on state v private so can't see why you're unsure.

As frequently happens OP was asked questions for clarification on the financial issues (notably if he paid maintenance so that the mother could afford the extras) but he chose not to respond. So we carried on the conversation without him. That's what might happen in RL.

Yes I have read the posts. My point is this wasn't intended to be a debate about whether private schooling is good / bad/ a waste of money etc. The poster wanted clarification on how to handle a financial matter. No big deal anyway, I'm the best for going off topic!
  • fred246
    Options
    Yes I have read the posts. My point is this wasn't intended to be a debate about whether private schooling is good / bad/ a waste of money etc. The poster wanted clarification on how to handle a financial matter. No big deal anyway, I'm the best for going off topic!

I think the issue brought up some interesting points about the whole scenario. You basically have a poor child being sent to a school of rich children. If a multi millionaire was paying the fees surely they could pay the extras? If they were only willing to pay a certain amount then maybe that money would be better used on a good state school plus loads of educational after school activities & holidays. One teacher stood in front of rich kids will achieve better results than one teacher stood in front of poor kids for lots of reasons. Who pays that teacher is probably less relevant.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure