Options
2»

Comments

• Ms_Chocaholic
    Ms_Chocaholic Posts: 12,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    kw5 wrote: »
    Buyer purchased 28th November at 22.30pm. I posted within 2 working days, as stated on my listing.

Did you post it on the 1st? That's within 2 working days of the 28th as the 28th is a Thursday.

Did you post it 1st or 2nd class; your first post doesnt make it clear.

I think with a time critical item I would have tried to post it sooner.
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till the End
    You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options

Sooner than what? The seller needs to post an item based on their own dispatch time, not sooner. If it's time critical, it is time critical to the buyer, not the seller. The buyer then needs to adjust their buying time (Christmas and Advent are the same time every year) or pay for expedited shipping.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,244 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Did you post it on the 1st? That's within 2 working days of the 28th as the 28th is a Thursday.

Did you post it 1st or 2nd class; your first post doesnt make it clear.

See my post 5. If a seller can't post out every day and set their despatch times to reflect that why should any buyer expect the item to be sent earlier?

If buyers want something next day use Amazon prime, otherwise read the listing and understand what despatch time actually means.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,096 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    soolin wrote: »
    See my post 5. If a seller can't post out every day and set their despatch times to reflect that why should any buyer expect the item to be sent earlier?

If buyers want something next day use Amazon prime, otherwise read the listing and understand what despatch time actually means.

From a business and sensible point of view, yes, that is correct.

But we are talking about a human being buying this item. An item that they clearly wanted by 1st December, and they have paid for first class which also indicates this. A neg just waiting to happen...

So even though eBay says 4th December, common sense would be to post it immediately to try and get it to the buyer by their expected date, as otherwise it was blatently going to lead to low stars and/or a neg.

It was bought on a Thursday and the OP didn't post until Saturday, so it was NEVER going to arrive 'on time' (when buyer clearly wanted it)

(It would have been wise to end the BIN much earlier so this scenario could never happen...)
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,244 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    pinkshoes wrote: »
    From a business and sensible point of view, yes, that is correct.

But we are talking about a human being buying this item. An item that they clearly wanted by 1st December, and they have paid for first class which also indicates this. A neg just waiting to happen...

So even though eBay says 4th December, common sense would be to post it immediately to try and get it to the buyer by their expected date, as otherwise it was blatently going to lead to low stars and/or a neg.

It was bought on a Thursday and the OP didn't post until Saturday, so it was NEVER going to arrive 'on time' (when buyer clearly wanted it)

(It would have been wise to end the BIN much earlier so this scenario could never happen...)

If buyer had wanted one to arrive earlier why buy from someone where the delivery time would be showing as several Days later? Surely a buyer has some responsibility for understanding what dates actually mean , if buyers can't understand despatch times then perhaps buying online really isn't for them.

On this basis perhaps all sellers better close their sales several days before Christmas in case buyers are disappointed that buying something only a day or two before Christmas means it won't arrive on time? In fact that's no joke, I do actually close down eBay a few days before Christmas as I've even had people ask me whether I can guarantee the item will arrive for Christmas when it's already the 24th.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • charlies_mum
    Options
    I sold something on a Friday afternoon and buyer requested to pay to upgrade to first class as they needed it for Tuesday. I said not to worry as I would post first class on Monday at no extra cost

Received a message on Tuesday full of abuse and accusing me of not posting first class as it hadn't arrived. Said they wanted a refund as I had left them furious for not meeting their deadline.

I had to send a screen shot of my click and drop order to prove it had gone first class

Heard no more, no apology, nothing.
    You're only young once, but you can be immature forever :D
  • ballisticbrian
    Options
    Received a message on Tuesday full of abuse and accusing me of not posting first class as it hadn't arrived. Said they wanted a refund as I had left them furious for not meeting their deadline.

Some people hammer away on their keyboard and they have no idea that they are talking to a real human with feelings. You develop a thick skin fairly quickly.
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
  • RFW
    RFW Posts: 10,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    soolin wrote: »
    If buyer had wanted one to arrive earlier why buy from someone where the delivery time would be showing as several Days later? Surely a buyer has some responsibility for understanding what dates actually mean , if buyers can't understand despatch times then perhaps buying online really isn't for them.
    In an ideal world buyers read all the information they're given, they don't (as a buyer I'd include myself in this and everyone else at some point).
    It's probably a bit mean to the OP but I think it's naive to sell an advent calendar on 28th November by first class and think the buyer would be happy if it arrived more than three days later (which was Dec 1st).
    As far as the customer goes they've been pointlessly rude. As the seller I'd have probably just offered them a part refund, missing a few days of the calendar and a kid disappointed that they didn't have it on the right day, so 25-50% refund,. A grovelling apology and a bit of persona sympathy would probably have avoided a neg.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure