Options
1234568»

Comments

• Audaxer
    Audaxer Posts: 3,512 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Linton wrote: »
    1) I dont drawdown anything other than dividends from the income portfolio, I drawdown some capital from the Growth portfolio.
    Sorry, I know you don't drawdown capital from your income portfolio. I just thought you were saying that was an option. I agree it's an option but it is not my intention to do so either, unless it was a substantial capital gain.
  • bostonerimus
    Options
    Linton wrote: »
    1) I dont drawdown anything other than dividends from the income portfolio, I drawdown some capital from the Growth portfolio.

2) One year nearer death so a slightly smaller chance of a crashes in the meantime so you need less contingency money

Such a "bucket" approach can be a useful tool. Sometimes it's done chronologically too. But I like to be more holistic and take dividends, capital gains and rebalance across my entire portfolio and with just 3 funds that's very easy.
    “So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.”
  • Eco_Miser
    Eco_Miser Posts: 4,708 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thrugelmir wrote: »
    The long term average (of equities) is inclusive of the reinvestment of dividend income.
    Not if the dividend is being taken, not invested. I wasn't talking about a published figure.
    Thrugelmir wrote: »
    Not a question of income or growth. The cake cannot be eaten twice.
    Obviously. But my portfolio provides both income (the declared dividends/interest) and growth (any retained profits and other changes in valuation).
    Eco Miser
    Saving money for well over half a century
  • pip895
    pip895 Posts: 1,178 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Very crudely High Yield = High Risk.

The link in bonds is obvious but in equities, it flows in part from yield hungry bond investors piling into high yielding equities.
  • Linton
    Linton Posts: 17,203 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    Options
    pip895 wrote: »
    Very crudely High Yield = High Risk.

The link in bonds is obvious but in equities, it flows in part from yield hungry bond investors piling into high yielding equities.

Very high yield (eg >8%) does generally mean high risk. But yields of say 5%-6% generally dont. Look at boring, solid, highly cash generative companies with limited opportunities for growth such as the utilities and insurance companies which often have yields in this area. Private investors are a relatively small part of the market and so their actions wont normally have a major impact. Large institutional investors would generally have less freedom to switch between bonds and equity, even if they were more interested in dividend income more than capital value which I doubt most are.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure