Its time to sort out this mess!

Options

Comments

• CoffeeCakeYarn
    Options
    Just read from the start and wanted to say a massive well done on starting and the changes you've made.

I always meal plan, weekly ish shop, but overcook and stick stuff in the freezer. I try and make a weekly shop last 8 days, seems silly but it's a little help. Usually only need to top up on cucumber and bananas.

My emergency fund is teeny tiny at the moment, but I've only just started. I've just got news I'm going to be hit with a car repair later on this month, and I don't have a car fund, or much of an emergency fund, so I just wanted really to pop in and say get them started as soon as possible because i'm gutted I might have to hit the credit card up for the repair.

Others will be able to tell you how much, I really don't know, I was aiming for £1000 emergency and just an ongoing build on the car fund, but alas, back to 0 before I've even really started.
    Paid - 7095/26218 - Total
  • mick1234_2
    Options
    thank you! meal planning is working well at the minute it has made such a difference and a lot less waste.
  • CoffeeCakeYarn
    Options
    Doesn't it? I really need to do a shake up though, I tend to stick to the same 4 or 5 meals, and it's just me so no one asking for something different which is a blessing, but does mean I get stuck in a rut! That and the fact I picked up a metric ton of YS mince and pork from Aldi over Christmas, it's enough to feed me for about 60 meals, but I need to branch out a bit from spag bol and a pork roast because I'm sure I'll get bored soon enough.

Did you decide what to doing about the 0% transfer?

Also, out of interest, are you keeping a spending diary? I thought I was being angelic with my spends but when I looked at it and saw repeat offenders like protein powder and the odd coffee here and there it really helped to hammer home where my 'surplus' was disappearing to.
  • mick1234_2
    Options
    Protein powder I assume you train then? I use Myprotein or bulk powders they have lots of deals all the time, with mince, I normally do these dishes :

Homemade beef burgers add chili
    Shepherds pie
    Mince and onions
    Meatballs
    Spaghetti bolognese
    Lasange

At the minute I do not do a spending diary I keep all receipts for everything but I am not spending anything at the minute I have a fuel and food budget until the end of Jan and then I will add in a little extra for days out etc, I am being really strict now!

I have not done anything with the 0% yet I am just waiting for a bit of advice from users who know a little more than me when it comes to cards.
  • CoffeeCakeYarn
    Options
    YES MEATBALLS! Why didn't I think of this I love meatballs! and burgers. Excellent memory jog thank you!

'Train' isn't really a term I'd use at the moment, I had to take six months off as I got really ill last year (Should have been a simple overnight procedure, but ended up over a month in hospital and every single complication you could imagine!) and I had my first stint back at the gym yesterday. 25 minute HIIT and I wanted to die, my fitness is basically zero now! Also, the surgery went through my abdominal muscles so my core is in bits. Back to the gym tonight for some light lifting (gee, I'm so looking forward to starting that from zero again...), need to get my strength back up. I'm off to look at those sites now, thanks for the tip! I really need to get back at it as I've stupidly signed up (read got bullied into) a Duathlon later in the year and I don't want to embarrass myself.

I don't have a huge amount of experience, and don't take this as advice, but if it were me I'd hold off on the transfer, try again next month and see if I could get a better deal. It really does vary sometimes, my latest shift was from being offered basically nothing one month, to being offered a great deal which covered the full transfer the next with a different company. Honestly the only reason I didn't take the first one out is because I couldn't be bothered to add another payment to keep track of but it worked out for the best in the end.
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,609 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    £1000 emergency fund is a good start. I would hold back on transfers for now until your debt is a bit lower.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • mick1234_2
    Options
    Don't do too much HIIT especially on a come back from illness it can really hammer your stress hormones once-twice a week tops, do slower cardio the rest of the time, (In my previous life I was a PT I'm not just being a smart alec )

YES MEATBALLS! Why didn't I think of this I love meatballs! and burgers. Excellent memory jog thank you!

'Train' isn't really a term I'd use at the moment, I had to take six months off as I got really ill last year (Should have been a simple overnight procedure, but ended up over a month in hospital and every single complication you could imagine!) and I had my first stint back at the gym yesterday. 25 minute HIIT and I wanted to die, my fitness is basically zero now! Also, the surgery went through my abdominal muscles so my core is in bits. Back to the gym tonight for some light lifting (gee, I'm so looking forward to starting that from zero again...), need to get my strength back up. I'm off to look at those sites now, thanks for the tip! I really need to get back at it as I've stupidly signed up (read got bullied into) a Duathlon later in the year and I don't want to embarrass myself.

I don't have a huge amount of experience, and don't take this as advice, but if it were me I'd hold off on the transfer, try again next month and see if I could get a better deal. It really does vary sometimes, my latest shift was from being offered basically nothing one month, to being offered a great deal which covered the full transfer the next with a different company. Honestly the only reason I didn't take the first one out is because I couldn't be bothered to add another payment to keep track of but it worked out for the best in the end.
  • CoffeeCakeYarn
    Options
    Thank you! I have to admit it's very much not my favourite, and not really a regular in my routine, I just wanted to give it a go last night to see exactly how much my fitness levels have dropped.
    If you don't mind me picking your brain, (tell me to go away if you'd rather) what should I be doing weight wise? I was thinking very light lots of reps for the moment, am I off the mark?
  • mick1234_2
    Options
    Send me a message, I cannot seem to send them and I can go over it.
    Thank you! I have to admit it's very much not my favourite, and not really a regular in my routine, I just wanted to give it a go last night to see exactly how much my fitness levels have dropped.
    If you don't mind me picking your brain, (tell me to go away if you'd rather) what should I be doing weight wise? I was thinking very light lots of reps for the moment, am I off the mark?
  • CoffeeCakeYarn
    Options
    Thanks again, appreciated. Just out of interest have you joined the MSE credit club? It's a big help to see where you are with credit scores and stuff....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport