ISA S&S - HL vs CS

Options
2»

Comments

• movilogo
    movilogo Posts: 3,186 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    I guess most (if not all) of these funds are purchasable under ISA S&S using either HL or CSD or just any other large platforms?
    Happiness is buying an item and then not checking its price after a month to discover it was reduced further.
  • Lokolo
    Lokolo Posts: 20,861 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    That is correct.

So its a matter of figuring out what sort of funds you want. There are many purpose built portfolios rather than what I've done.

There are index only ones as well (index - no active management) - Blackrock, HSBC and Vanguard are popular. These are mainly low cost <0.5%.

Vanguard have LifeStrategy

https://www.vanguard.co.uk/adviser/adv/investments/about-funds/lifestrategy-funds

These are low cost, and follow the markets. They aren't there to outperform but are there to follow the markets at a low cost.

Example - https://www.charles-stanley-direct.co.uk/ViewFund?Sedol=B4PQW15&Isin=GB00B4PQW151
    0.22% OCF
  • ColdIron
    ColdIron Posts: 9,110 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Rather than attempt to construct a custom portfolio of single sector funds which, I think we would both agree, is beyond your ability at this stage why not look at a single multi-asset fund?

They are especially suited to:
    • Novice investors
    • Investors with small pots
    They are low maintenance, cheap and professionally managed by fund managers with more experience and research tools than are available to you. They would almost certainly be a better option for you at this stage and could stand you in good stead for three or more years of being fully funded by you. During that time you would have plenty of time to research why they do what they do in the way that they do it before you make a decision to improve upon it or make our own mistakes
  • digannio
    digannio Posts: 323 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Something like L&G Multi-Index 5 Fund would give you good diversification (shares, bonds and property) and a lot cheaper than one of the HL ready-made portfolios.
  • movilogo
    movilogo Posts: 3,186 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited 5 December 2017 at 2:11PM
    Options
    why not look at a single multi-asset fund?

That's exactly I am trying to do :D

Its buy price shown as £19000. Is it same as NAV? Does it mean with £10k I can't buy it or can still buy a fraction of it?
    Happiness is buying an item and then not checking its price after a month to discover it was reduced further.
  • Lokolo
    Lokolo Posts: 20,861 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 5 December 2017 at 2:18PM
    Options
    GBX is pence, not pounds. So its £190 each unit.

You can by part units which usually go down to 1/1000th (or whatever decimals is!)

I have funds with 56.9863 units for example.
  • Audaxer
    Audaxer Posts: 3,512 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    ColdIron wrote: »
    Rather than attempt to construct a custom portfolio of single sector funds which, I think we would both agree, is beyond your ability at this stage why not look at a single multi-asset fund?

They are especially suited to:
    • Novice investors
    • Investors with small pots
    They are low maintenance, cheap and professionally managed by fund managers with more experience and research tools than are available to you. They would almost certainly be a better option for you at this stage and could stand you in good stead for three or more years of being fully funded by you. During that time you would have plenty of time to research why they do what they do in the way that they do it before you make a decision to improve upon it or make our own mistakes
    And there is no reason you can't keep your investments in low cost passive global diversified multi asset funds even when you have built up a portfolio of substantial value.
  • kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    movilogo wrote: »
    Amount to be invested £10k

option 1:
    HL readymade portfolio for balanced income
    http://www.hl.co.uk/investment-services/isa/ready-made-isa/portfolio-plus

Platform charge 0.45%, OCF/TER = 1.33%

I'm a fan of HL for small SIPPS but not for small ISAs. I'd look elsewhere. I'd also expect to invest in something a darn sight cheaper than 1.33% p.a. That could easily mean one third or more of your dividend income vanishing in charges.
    Free the dunston one next time too.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport